Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdSense
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2004   #1
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
More advertising of adsense than usual?

It seems like everywhere I look I see an ad for adsense...is it just me or has google done a huge push of this?
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004   #2
Papadoc

Papadoc is a jewel in the roughPapadoc is a jewel in the roughPapadoc is a jewel in the rough
I am of the same thought. Also seeing it in too many more places lately. I am concerned that spreading it too thin will do the same thing to AdSense that it did to banner advertising with the eyes no longer seeing it. Google is becoming less and less restrictive on the kinds of sites that it goes on and I have seen some real junkers lately.
Papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
It is a business and they will throw it out there as long as it is generating revenue. Unlike the banner advertising of old that people in most cases did not measure (and could not with any accuracy)... this model is actually based on a real visitor (well that's debatable too)...
People are more willing to do AdSense than banners as they only pay for the traffic getting to them... they then have to improve conversion to make the purchase worthwhile.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004   #4
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself. I meant that Google is running banner ads advertising to webmasters to run adsense on their sites. And, it seems those banner ads are everywhere.

Oh hey look. If you look at the bottom of the page, you will see what I am talking about.
Old 10-25-2004   #5
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
I've also been noticing a lot, but in a way advertising can be looked at as providing a valuable service. We'd never know about certain sales on things we need without the ads in newspapers and the "junk mail" we get (like restaurant coupons), and a lot of website publishers who could benefit and send qualified traffic to advertisers still don't know about the AdSense program.

All in all it's a good thing all around, for Google, advertisers and publishers. The only gripe I can think of is that Google could do a little better job on quality control of where the ads appear, in some cases for the branding of advertisers appearing on garbage pages. But then again, they're not the advertisers' "mother" whose job it is to protect them.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004   #6
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnidone
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself. I meant that Google is running banner ads advertising to webmasters to run adsense on their sites. And, it seems those banner ads are everywhere.

Oh hey look. If you look at the bottom of the page, you will see what I am talking about.
is there an affiliate program being offered? someone here or at jupiter should have the definitive answer.....
Old 10-25-2004   #7
Papadoc

Papadoc is a jewel in the roughPapadoc is a jewel in the roughPapadoc is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnidone
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself. I meant that Google is running banner ads advertising to webmasters to run adsense on their sites.
I completely understand what you are saying. The upshot though is that by Google marketing AdSense so intensively, it is a signal that they are willing to saturate the market... and it is certainly happening... Google ads are everywhere. I've gotten 2 emails in the last month from G reps trying to push AdSense, even though I already had it. They just didn't see it on the home page. If you saturate any market, that is temporarily good for the producer, but it's lousy for the distribution chain and makes you very vulnerable.

In the short run, it cuts the publisher because consumer curiosity will start to die from seeing it all the time. Consumers do not click if they are no longer curious. Contextual or not, consumers will stop clicking when they see the same thing over and over again.

Second, most publishers value their AdSense and don't want to screw it up. I've talked with several who indicate that there would be of enough temptation to click fraud on their ads, except for the fact that they don't want to risk losing their AdSense. Now if Google spreads themselves thin, allowing any site to use up inventory, and publishers profits drop, there will be more people that consider it worth the risk.

Google has to keep this of value or "not worth the risk of losing" for publishers or their fraud rates will go up and AdWords clients will either opt out of the network or lower their bids to compensate. A fine line exists between maximized distribution and greed. Greed kills anything it's connected with and AdSense is no different.

If G turns this program into so much mush, it's the perfect opportunity for Yahoo to jump on the bandwagon and announce that they have something different, offer higher returns, and yank G's ol' carpet out from underneath them.
Old 10-26-2004   #8
AussieWebmaster

Yahoo should wave the white flag now and sell off Overture to Google....

I can hear the people groaning over that comment... but realistically Overture has very poor support and customer service (though my current rep is good) and with PFI PPC at Inktomi they are getting worse.

If Yahoo does not drop PPC they should outsource it to someone else as opposed to Overture... give a SearchFeed type company the reigns and I think things would improve.
Old 10-26-2004   #9
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

Interesting. I"ve had just the opposite.

The support I get from Google is non-existant. The reps at Overture bend over backwards to help me. I've found that the ROI for Overture ads is much better than the ROI at google. Heck, I'd love to drop doing any PPC with Google -- working with them is frustrating, time consuming and expensive.
Old 10-26-2004   #10
Papadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
Yahoo should wave the white flag now and sell off Overture to Google....

I can hear the people groaning over that comment... but realistically Overture has very poor support and customer service (though my current rep is good) and with PFI PPC at Inktomi they are getting worse.
Why would Google want it other than to take a competitor out? And why would Yahoo ever sell it. Talk about a pure profit chunk taken out of their business. The stock would dive.

Neither has great support. Yahoo is better if you stop advertising for awhile. You rise to the top of the support list.

Google is mixed. You get a reply 24 hours later and it is usually a canned response that doesn't quite fit. But when you reply to them and get very specific, they eventually do get specific in a very general sort of way. You cannot pin them down and they offer up very little information that you don't specifically ask for. Only problem is that you often don't know what to ask for.

You: I have problem 1, 2, and 3
Google: There are many causes for this: Problem 1 - things change, Problem 2 - who knows, and Problem 3 - the world is a strange place

You: Fine, but this is still a problem. Did you change A, B, or C or anything else to cause this effect? I just want to know how to correct or compensate for this.
Google: As stated earlier, there are many causes for this. No, we did not change A, B, or C

You: Fine, how about the "anything else" part of the question?
Google: There are many things that change in the world, all of which work together in cosmic ways that are not necessarily known. Yet through our combined limited-perfect understanding of the universe, we can almost possibly state with an indefinite amount of semi-certainty, that one of these unknowns has potentially changed something of unknown origin in a way that was or was not predictable within a situation that might or might not be similar to sites like yours. But this is only a guess!