Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008   #1
Dan01

Dan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really nice
Are inbound links Important Right Now?

Although I did find a two word search term that popped up in the number one position on Google, all of the others that I used to have up in the first page disappeared.

So I did an experiment on one of the search terms I lost. I wrote two articles and submitted them to a couple e-zine sites. Within minutes of of them being accepted by the e-zines, those articles showed up at the top of the SERTS where my article used to show up.

Those articles didn't even have time to get links associated with them. They were up for just minutes and they showed up on the top of the SERPS. Plus, those articles linked to the page on my site with the best most complete content.

Why or How can these articles pop-up on top of the search results so quick, and what happened to my article that used to be there? Any ideas?

Sidenote: We have gone in and out of the SERPS for a long time. All of a sudden our dollars will drop off OR sometimes the dollar amount will skyrocket. Do you have any explanation as to why my pages would drop and then reappear in the SERPS (with cycle period of weeks)?

Last edited by Dan01 : 08-15-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Dan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #2
j0nyDzine

j0nyDzine has a spectacular aura aboutj0nyDzine has a spectacular aura aboutj0nyDzine has a spectacular aura about
Re: Are inbound links Important Right Now?

Are these "news-ish" sites that have RSS? that probably has something to do why the "new" stuff gets more attention...
j0nyDzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #3
Dan01

Dan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really nice

One site was ezine.com and the other was articlebase.com . They are just article sites.

This is the funny part. Last week when we were reeling in the traffic, I bolded some keywords in one of our new articles. Then I checked Google for those keywords within just minutes and that article was #1 in the SERPS.

It was interesting that within minutes of placing an article on those two sites, those articles popped right up on top.

In both cases there was no time for inbound links to be created.
Old 08-15-2008   #4
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

I was going to say it has to do with 'domain authority'. If a site is very authoritative it can rank for anything under the sun (including pages on that auhtoritative site that do not have inbound links). Link authority/trust flows through the whole site.

I just checked the links for ezine com and articlebase com with the site explorer and was surprised how few links those sites have pointing to them (less than 1,000). I assume yahoo is not showing all links here (by far)?
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008   #5
Dan01

Thanks for your response New Kid!

Wikipedia shows up high in the search results and has every subject under the sun. I do think that sites that focus on topic can have good rank within their topics, especially if the SERP text is in the URL.

Ezine is probably the most exclusive e-zine site. They are very selective in their articles and don't want writers to keyword-stuff. Articlebase accepts articles more freely without restrictions, plus you can add video units.

Advantages of E-Zines

The nice thing about those sites is their syndication. You can take articles off their site (I think there is a maximum in e-zine) and place them on your site. Here is the advantage for the writers - when others put the article on their site they are required (according to the TOS) to include the links back to your site.

This means it is possible that your article will be placed all over the Internet with links pointing back to your site.

I have not used the e-zines much. I think I have put up a total of 5 articles. Usually others put excerpts of our articles up with links back to our site.

BTW, the Articlebase article is one spot above the e-zine article. Bother articles are very similar. My site has the same Google pagerank as Articlebase. As per Alexa traffic rankings, Ezine is ranked 316 in the world, above articlebase which ranks 3,694.

Last edited by Dan01 : 08-15-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2008   #6
Dan01

Update:

The articlesbase.com article disappeared from the top of the SREP results. Notice the name is article(s)base not articlebase. The ezine article is still there in the number three spot.

Also, I noticed that the top articles are not the same as before. They keep changing.
Old 08-16-2008   #7
Dan01

One more note: I am still ranking number two in Yahoo for the same term. I have noticed that Google does fluctuate more than Yahoo. Maybe they update their algorithm more.

I use a program (web CEO) to check SERTS. I noticed Google errored out in that program.
Old 08-16-2008   #8
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

For articleSbase com domain authority certainly makes sense, as that site as 280,000 links according to yahoo's site explorer.

Anyway, to sum it up briefly and asnwer you original question: Yes inbound links are (very) important right now, but it's not exclusively about links pointing to a certain *page*, but it's as much about links pointing to the *site* on which the page is located.
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008   #9
Dan01

About a week and a half ago, when our site was at the top of many SERPS, I created and article and bolded some text. I forget what the text was, something common like "Pimples on the forehead". Within a half an hour of posting that article I went to Google and input that term without the quotes. Amazing, my article was at the top of the SERPS. LOL There was no time for inbound links. LOL

I think what you say is valid.
Old 08-21-2008   #10
rensquared

rensquared is on a distinguished road

Yes inbound links are important.. Coz those link are pointing your website, which means greater probability for your site to be visited by someone... Link juice
rensquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #11
Dan01

Thanks for bringing this up again. Since then the articles of the ezines dropped off the top. Amazingly they were there without any inbound links. I guess they call that freshness.

BTW, all of my SERPS are back and Adsense is cranking again for me. Thank God!
Old 08-25-2008   #12
shieldguy00

shieldguy00 is on a distinguished road

Yes they are important and they are a considerable factor if an owner of a web site wants his or her site visited more often
shieldguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #13
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Inbound links are important for PageRank. The anchor text used for links inbound are also important for building keyword relevancy.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #14
Dan01

Why do you think that some of my articles go immediatly to the top of the search results. Sometimes they will stay there for days. I have read something about "Freshness". Have you heard of that?
Old 08-26-2008   #15
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan01 View Post
Why do you think that some of my articles go immediatly to the top of the search results. Sometimes they will stay there for days. I have read something about "Freshness". Have you heard of that?
Yes, I think what you are seeing might be the "freshness factor" at work.
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/minty-fresh-indexing/
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #16
j0nyDzine

j0nyDzine has a spectacular aura aboutj0nyDzine has a spectacular aura aboutj0nyDzine has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan01 View Post
MMMMMM... RSS... GOOOOOD......
j0nyDzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #17
rensquared

rensquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nyDzine View Post
MMMMMM... RSS... GOOOOOD......
What is the importance of RSS again??
rensquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008   #18
ashishkhajuria

ashishkhajuria is on a distinguished road

Well Dan. You are saying that you have posted articles in Ezine and they get on top and your site is not getting on top. About Ezine they are working for the last several years and famous for their authentic articles. If you noticed that when ezine approves an article it will be listed on the homepage so if a content based article link will be placed on a home page of an authentic site like ezine it will get on top. Because it doesnt matter how much links you are pointing towardsyour content but matters how much quality links you are pointing towards your content. Sites like ezine and articlesbase are very authentic and cant say that google is not considering my site and giving more prefrence to ezine articles. It happens because ezine has more trust worthy for google. Trust rank matters.
ashishkhajuria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008   #19
Dan01

Thanks Ashishkhajuria,

There is more to the story I want to tell you. Earlier this month (and once back in May) most of my SERPS dropped off and my Adsense suffered. At that time I placed a couple articles in eZines and noticed they popped up where one of my articles was. Since then they have disappeared and mine came right back on the first page.

I think there is a "Freshness" factor the Matt Cutts talked about. One time when my SERPS were up on top, I wrote an article and bolded a couple keywords. Within a few minutes I did a keyword search and my article popped right up on top (I think it was in the #2 position) of the SERPS. It disappeared just like the ezine articles did, but it was interesting.

Let's face it, if Google didn't add "Freshness" no one would ever have a chance of getting their content up in the ranks. I think Freshness is a smart idea. It gives people an opportunity to see your article and possibly link to it.

I am just glad my SERPS came back again. They were down for 12 days (most of them). I am still trying to figure out what happened - why they disappeared and then came back.
Old 09-01-2008   #20
ashishkhajuria

ashishkhajuria is on a distinguished road

Yes sometimes it happens but i think to fight with these kind of situation you should add a section in which you can update content every week like latest articles news in your site. This will tackle freshness factor and your site will remain fresh.
ashishkhajuria is offline   Reply With Quote