Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2004   #1
bbott

bbott is on a distinguished road
Strange Yahoo Rankings

My website, <snip> is about 7-8 months old and is finally seeing some good SERP placement.

I checked last night and we're ranked #2 in yahoo for the keyword "new jersey web design"... then i check today we're no where to be found... then i check later on in the day and we're ranked #2 again. I'm guessing the data centers are not insync. My question is... will they sync w/ eachother or is there a chance im' listed on one datacenter and the others i'm not.

Last edited by Marcia : 10-30-2004 at 12:15 PM. Reason: URL not necessary.
bbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004   #2
sugarrae
I Should Be Working

sugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura about
IME, Y results are in a pretty steady flux.
sugarrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #3
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
>>listed on one datacenter and the others i'm not.

No, that's Google where that occurs. I've found Yahoo listings to be consistent, and you're still showing for your search term.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #4
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
i have seen clusters of sites drop and re-appear i lost 500 urls they came back 2 days later been stable since then.... personally i think the geo targetting is been tested ..

seen site removed for the .com only to re-appear in co.uk the next day.... and i mean dissapear ...even if you type in url they are not listed ..

DaveN

Yahoo will get there when you improve a Search Engine has quickly as Y! are doing you will get glitches
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #5
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Some chap over at wmw reckons his whole ISP got dumped, sorry, dont have the link...

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #6
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
it was NOT a guy it was a girl and she is the Mod over there lol.... and they lost a lot 1500... But i think that was something different

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum35/2791-2-30.htm msg#30

DaveN
Old 10-22-2004   #7
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
It isn't a data center issue same as Google though - unless they've got something going I haven't heard of.

<crossing fingers and sprinkling salt over left shoulder>

Everything has always stayed totally stable for me with Yahoo, a few haven't budged one single drop ever. One little hobby site dropped down 30 places last month, but truthfully I couldn't figure why it was ranking like it did in the first place, anyway - it shouldn't have been.

From that thread

Quote:
A hosting company that I know of lost every single site they were hosting...over 1500...very very very sad, it's a broken company/family.
That sounds like a way different issue, when it's server-wide. I wonder if it can be something affecting an entire IP. Either way, it makes a good case for spreading sites around with different hosts or server locations.

Last edited by Marcia : 10-22-2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2004   #8
DaveN

Marcia, they got killed !

DaveN
Old 10-23-2004   #9
bbott

bbott is on a distinguished road
Hey, we're coming up number 2 all the time now.

I guess everything is in sync
bbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004   #10
Marcia

Dave, reading further, if there are enough "spam" sites, Yahoo will kill the whole IP.
Old 10-24-2004   #11
DaveN

they will killl a complete clas C if they have too
Old 10-30-2004   #12
Manpasand

Manpasand is on a distinguished road
ysterday i have also noticed that <snip> is coming in "online web solutions" keyword in first time and positioning is keep changing frequetly.

Last edited by Marcia : 10-30-2004 at 12:41 PM. Reason: URL not necessary for topic.
Manpasand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #13
MsCleo

MsCleo is on a distinguished road
Same issue with rankings

Hi:
I have the same problem as the person who started this thread: I was getting #2 on my main keyphrase and since 2 weeks ago I dropped from #2 to #16 and today I ranked #13.

The only things I did to the site is moving to a faster hosting and adding more content pages and got couple of links in.

Can someone give me some advice as to why my ranking might be going down?
MsCleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #14
Marcia

Welcome to SEW forums, MsCleo.

Quote:
Can someone give me some advice as to why my ranking might be going down?
Sure! Not to be trite, but the simplest answer is that it's because it's a search engine.

Ranking changes are perfectly normal as sites tweak their optimization, new sites are added to the index, and there are updates periodically and algo changes every so often.
Old 11-09-2004   #15
MsCleo

:-(

Yahoo used to me my biggest referer... What should I do to get good ranking again?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-25-2004   #16
Marcia

Just moving down is far less of an issue than dropping out. If you've got some decent inbound links, try improving a bit with the on-page optimization.
Old 11-29-2004   #17
sugarrae
I Should Be Working

sugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura about
"Can someone give me some advice as to why my ranking might be going down"

Well, it could be that other people's rankings are simply going up. That, and that the results are always moving.
Old 12-03-2004   #18
MsCleo

What should I do?

Can someone tell me what I should focus on to make my Yahoo ranking go up?
Old 12-07-2004   #19
sugarrae
I Should Be Working

Same thing that rules every engine right now. Links, links and more links.