Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008   #1
killervibe

killervibe is on a distinguished road
YouTube required to get Google video search indexing?

Hypothetically if I wanted to dominate the entire first page of SERP including a couple video links do I have to use YouTube to post my videos? Can I use another third party vendor or post them on my own server?

I just did several searches and the only videos that come up on the SERP are YouTube videos so I wasnt sure if thats just a coincidence or by design.

For example, a search for "mountain bike" shows two videos on the first page results, both YouTube.
killervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: YouTube required to get Google video search indexing?

you will only be able to have 2 listings per domain unless you are using subdomains but virtually impossible to own entier front page.... using youtube would be another listing as it is their domain but your channel... they have the juice thus get listed high
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #3
killervibe

Well, thats where the invisible tool bar comes in handy.

Post a press release, a couple photos, a couple videos, have a couple different sources promoting your product plus your own website and BAM! You own the entire first page of a SERP. I've actually seen it happen three times.

Really I just wasnt sure if YouTube was required for the video part. I just cant recall ever seeing videos on the first page SERP that weren't from YouTube.
Old 06-24-2008   #4
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

this invisible tool bar hijacks the serps? because as a straight tool no toolbar is going to get you on all results of a front google search page
Old 06-24-2008   #5
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

I don't know if using YouTube is *required* to show in results, but from what I've noticed it's definitely one of Google's considerations when returning results.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #6
killervibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
this invisible tool bar hijacks the serps? because as a straight tool no toolbar is going to get you on all results of a front google search page
Its not hijacking. The invisible tool (official name: Google Navigation bar) is just the name of the navigation at the top of the Google SERP. You know, where it says Web, Images, Maps, News, Shopping, etc.

Google's universal search integrates results from each of those sections into their primary SERP. So if you are able to get indexed well in each of these you have the ability to dominate the first page for the overall results.

Last edited by killervibe : 06-24-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2008   #7
AussieWebmaster

ok thanks was wondering
Old 06-25-2008   #8
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

The reason why you never see videos other than youtube videos is the whole universal search thing, I think (do I remember the expression correctly or am I confusing it?). They've been trying to integrate their own vertical search results into their (main) SERPs. For some search phrases there've been quite a few google book listings, too, etc..

So basically they're trying to feature their own (vertical search) stuff in their own (main) SERPs.

And I guess it should come to no surprise that they're mostly featuring their own videos in their SERPs? They have a pretty big database of videos that is and as it's probably kind of hard to tell how qualitative or relevant a certain video is (they have no sophisticated algorithms for this, yet or do they?! I also assume they dont have enough raters to watch videos all over the web and then decide which one is the best to feature - too time consuming) and they have 1000 results from youtube that might fit and another 500 from dailymotion and metacafe or something, obviously they're gonna feature one or two of their own videos to keep the traffic within their own network instead of passing it on to the competition.

They're actually so bold to tell me on youtube that I should link my youtube and my google account together as I seem to have a google account - No, I do not have a google account!:-) - how do they tell (or well guess) this, btw? youtubeusername@google.com? if it exists ask the person on youtube to link it to their google account?
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote