Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2008   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
AdWords: Fun with Page Load Times

Well, now that Google is using page load times in the AdWords Quality Score calculation I decided to have a bit of fun by running an "unusual" AdWords test.

To see the test just Google..

page load times

..and look for my test ad (clue, it's the ad with google.com as the display URL).

BTW: feel free to click the ad if you wish, my minimum bid is very low!

Enjoy!!!!!

Last edited by abbottsys : 06-19-2008 at 03:06 PM.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #2
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Re: AdWords: Fun with Page Load Times

OMG abbottsys - classic!!! I don't know how long it'll stay running, but this is beyond creative.
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #3
Baylow

Baylow is on a distinguished road

This is what Search Marketers do for thrill seeking...
Baylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #4
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66 View Post
OMG abbottsys - classic!!! I don't know how long it'll stay running, but this is beyond creative.
Thanks Mel. So, a few stats for the ad so far... minimum bid on all keywords (except one) is $0.05 and the ad CTR is 60% The odd man out is keyword google which is not active due to a minimum bid of $0.20

So, it appears that my landing page is loading with reasonable speed. Of course, I would like it to be faster, but I don't seem to have control over it

KEYWORDS:
google
google test
load time
load times
page load time
page load times
ivf

All keywords are active except the first.

Last edited by abbottsys : 06-19-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2008   #5
KSew

KSew is on a distinguished road

"Test ofGoogle" - why there is NO space between “of” and “Google”? Was it done deliberately?

And I wonder how those Adwords executives sitting there in India could let this Ad pass? If I am not wrong – the adwords software too does a spell check before the ads go live. How on earth you got’em passed? abbottsys, please throw some light!!!
KSew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #6
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of

An interesting test would to deliberately have 10 ads, each going to 10 different landing pages. Make sure each landing page takes different times to load. This way we can somehow isolate the different load times that would warrant a good, ok, poor, etc score for the page load time...

This is funny, btw.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #7
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSew View Post
"Test ofGoogle" - why there is NO space between “of” and “Google”? Was it done deliberately?

And I wonder how those Adwords executives sitting there in India could let this Ad pass? If I am not wrong – the adwords software too does a spell check before the ads go live. How on earth you got’em passed? abbottsys, please throw some light!!!
Using Google in ad copy is easy provided it's not used as a word. So you have to use something like aGoogle or ofGoogle etc.

The more interesting thing about this ad is the use of Google in the display URL. This technique may have some other applications which I'm currently exploring
Old 06-20-2008   #8
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick View Post
An interesting test would to deliberately have 10 ads, each going to 10 different landing pages. Make sure each landing page takes different times to load. This way we can somehow isolate the different load times that would warrant a good, ok, poor, etc score for the page load time...

This is funny, btw.
Agreed. That would be a real test. My test is not really about load times - it's an experiment using google.com as an AdWords landing page
Old 06-20-2008   #9
Baylow

Baylow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsys View Post
Using Google in ad copy is easy provided it's not used as a word. So you have to use something like aGoogle or ofGoogle etc.

The more interesting thing about this ad is the use of Google in the display URL. This technique may have some other applications which I'm currently exploring
google.com/adulttobaccofirearmsgambling

p.s. this probably will get nuked if an editorial jerk sees it. Pretty much anything goes until you're caught.
Baylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #10
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

For those just reading this thread who want to play with this test, Google..

google test

..to see the test ad (it's the one with google in the display URL.) Clicking the ad demos the use of google as an AdWords landing page. Of course, I'm not sure how this technique can be used for real business.. but ideas are always welcome.