Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Search Industry Growth & Trends
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2004   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Biggest Search Engine Announcement in SEO History

Sorry, I have no announcement to make here but I started this thread to provoke a discussion of like-minded individuals.

In your mind, and joking aside please, if a search engine was to announce something and precede this announcement with the tag line "The biggest announcement in search history for an SEO", what would you think they are talking about.

What in your mind can a search engine announce to the public and have such a drastic impact on the SEO community?

Last edited by rustybrick : 10-19-2004 at 03:15 PM. Reason: grammar
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004   #2
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
rustybrick
Quote:
What in your mind can a search engine announce to the public and make sure a drastic impact on the SEO community.?
Google announces super saver two for one Holiday special! Submit two sites for the price of one. Hurry, this offer won't last!
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
rustybrick

Google announces super saver two for one Holiday special! Submit two sites for the price of one. Hurry, this offer won't last!
Can't we try to be serious? Otherwise I need to move it to the padded room.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004   #4
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, it can lead up to something dead serious Barry.

Even though Daniel Dulitz covered the reasoning behind Google *not* having paid submit in the interview with Mike Grehan, if they ever did announce a PFI program it would turn our thinking upside down. I for one would be scrambling to be the first in line, credit card in hand. Or rather, would have been a while back, when I suspected it might be on the horizon because Freshbot activity sure made it look like the capability was there.

Now, with how scoring is, I'm not so sure. I think an argument could be made for it either way.

Last edited by Marcia : 10-19-2004 at 03:40 PM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004   #5
cline
Aderit Internet Marketing Consulting: www.Aderit.com

cline has a spectacular aura aboutcline has a spectacular aura about
Google Desktop now utilizes the contents of your computer to give you customized search results.
cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004   #6
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Microsoft buys both Yahoo and Google.
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #7
Anthony Parsons
Rubbing the shine of the knobs who think they're better than everyone else...

Anthony Parsons will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Whalen
Microsoft buys both Yahoo and Google.
And announces its new name as: MicroYahoogle!
Anthony Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #8
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Marcia's right - if you required pay for inclusion to get on the larger search engines - especially Google. That would certainly be a major announcement that would overwhelmingly impat SEO.

AdWords as a business model seems to have removed that threat from Google, though.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #9
stuntdubl
Traffic not SEO.

stuntdubl is a splendid one to beholdstuntdubl is a splendid one to beholdstuntdubl is a splendid one to beholdstuntdubl is a splendid one to beholdstuntdubl is a splendid one to beholdstuntdubl is a splendid one to beholdstuntdubl is a splendid one to behold
Google releases a 64-bit operating system that is backwards compatible with all Windows software.
stuntdubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #10
4eyes
Quit - its just not worth the bother anymore

4eyes will become famous soon enough4eyes will become famous soon enough
Google announces new open source algo
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #11
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
The personal search is going to be a big one if it can be pulled off right - not least because of what it means to advertisers - does anyone remember the scene from Minority Report when Tom Cruise when customised ads ask him to buy a Lexus?

Even more specualtion - here's an interesting entry exploring the possibility of Google hooking up Orkut tech with user PCs, for custom Google networks:
http://battellemedia.com/archives/000977.php
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #12
rbester

rbester is on a distinguished road
Resurrection Of a Meta Tag
rbester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #13
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
Elimination of the PR bar on the Google toolbar.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #14
sharad

sharad is on a distinguished road
Google is now calculating PR of a page on basis of no. of odd site linking to that page only.
sharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #15
Jeremy_Goodrich

Jeremy_Goodrich will become famous soon enough
Fuzzy logic has replaced probablistic computational methods for calculating link popularity and conceptual analysis has replaced keyword matching...making SEO that much more fun & interesting.

Death to keywords, long live concepts...would make for interesting design / textual considerations, no?
Jeremy_Goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #16
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Y! and Google announce joint plans to standardize guidelines and make them understandable!
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #17
Mike Grehan

Mike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to all
Google admits: We only keep the PageRank myth for webmasters - we actually haven't used it for years! Despite that, we're still loaded
and couldn't give a **** about search engine optimisation. AdWords is where it's at.
Mike Grehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #18
Mike Grehan

Mike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to all
Oh, and another one...

Google employs Fantomaster as head of technology...
Mike Grehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #19
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
>>Google employs Fantomaster as head of technology...

Im choking as i thankyour for that!

ROTFLMAO mate :coo:

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #20
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Search Adapts to GPS Capabilities for your Car.

Spammers protest against Search Engines because they can not optimize for GPS since 95% of algorithm weight goes to the searcher's GPS coordinates. SEO/SEM professionals jump for joy that spammers finally don't get their chance, but are left clueless as to what to do for their clients as well.

Last edited by Nacho : 10-20-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote