Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2008   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
AdWords - Automatic Matching Mystery

Well, I just got automatic matching enabled in my account - I guess as part of the 5/20 expanded beta. I have no problem with that, but I don't have the opt out option. Or at least I can't find it anywhere. It's certainly not in Campaign Settings.

Any suggestions?
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #2
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Re: AdWords - Automatic Matching Mystery

It should be in Campaign Settings if you're opted in - I just found it there for our one client who was opted in.

BTW, if you're listening AWR, here is the feedback I just sent in on your little Automatic Matching survey: Google is going in the wrong direction with this "feature." Advertisers have been asking to be able to opt out of the "expanded broad match" for a long time now, yet that request has fallen on deaf ears. And now we have "automatic matching" which is even worse. To add insult to injury, we can't even copy the shutoff setting down to multiple campaigns. I just had to uncheck the box on 30 campaigns for one client. Sorry Google, this sucks. At the very least, please add "copy setting to all campaigns" so I don't have to spend 10 minutes per client shutting this thing off.

Can you tell I'm a little irritated?!?
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #3
chris1
Low-gravity fun for everyone!

chris1 is on a distinguished road

abbotsys, I had the same problem. My account rep is looking into it now for us. I'll let you know when I hear back.
chris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #4
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
abbotsys, I had the same problem. My account rep is looking into it now for us. I'll let you know when I hear back.
Thanks. Sounds like a glitch in the beta.
Old 05-27-2008   #5
chris1
Low-gravity fun for everyone!

chris1 is on a distinguished road

Well, I haven't heard back from my rep yet, but I noticed that today I am able to opt out via the campaign setting page(s). I would bet that sometime soon (before the feature goes live), this option will appear for you as well.
chris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #6
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Problem solved. The opt out has now shown up in Campaign Settings. I guess it just took time to implement the beta, and I was seeing some auto matching features before it was fully implemented. Or, it was a glitch and Google just fixed it

Anyway, as with any new ad distribution channel in AdWords, I plan to test. I'll leave it on and measure results (#conversions and cost/conversion). If results are good I'm happy, if not I switch it off. But at least I plan to give it a chance.
Old 05-27-2008   #7
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

Quote:
BTW, if you're listening AWR, here is the feedback I just sent in on your little Automatic Matching survey [...] Can you tell I'm a little irritated?!?
Yes I am - and yes I can, Mel66, loud and clear. I will do two things:

* Pass on your feedback in person, to the exact right folks, in a meeting on Thursday morning, and

* Quote you, verbatim, in an Advertiser Feedback that I send out each week to a great many folks at Google.

Many thanks for taking the time to fill out the survey, as well as to comment here.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #8
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

Quote:
[...] Anyway, as with any new ad distribution channel in AdWords, I plan to test. I'll leave it on and measure results (#conversions and cost/conversion). If results are good I'm happy, if not I switch it off. But at least I plan to give it a chance.
That is outstanding. I was hoping that you would end up being a part of the beta, abbottsys - as, after all, you are the King of Testing.

I am really looking forward to hearing your observations (and will certainly pass them along, as well) because I know you will call it as you see it - whether the results are negative or positive.

Best,

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #9
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep View Post
.. I was hoping that you would end up being a part of the beta, abbottsys - as, after all, you are the King of Testing...
AWR
"King of Testing", hey, I like that

Last edited by abbottsys : 05-27-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2008   #10
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep View Post
Yes I am - and yes I can, Mel66, loud and clear. I will do two things:

* Pass on your feedback in person, to the exact right folks, in a meeting on Thursday morning, and

* Quote you, verbatim, in an Advertiser Feedback that I send out each week to a great many folks at Google.

Many thanks for taking the time to fill out the survey, as well as to comment here.

AWR
Thanks, AWR. I really appreciate it!
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #11
Ryan L

Ryan L is on a distinguished road

So automatic targeting is enabled for me, short of watching my numbers (roi,ctr, conversion, & bounce rate) what strategies should I be looking at?

refine my negatives obviously but any other ideas?

Quick at-a-glance automatic matching observation:
campaigns with well defined/targeted groups (split KW and ads)seem to be having their traffic divied up more evenly amongst the groups whereas in the past there was always one group that stood above the rest....makes me a little nervous.

Watching conversion rate closely.
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #12
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Kinda strange. I have automatic matching active, but so far I've received no impressions. All numbers are zero.
Old 05-28-2008   #13
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Quote:
Kinda strange. I have automatic matching active, but so far I've received no impressions. All numbers are zero.
Believe it's just gathering info now, traffic to start June 3rd.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008   #14
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeetle View Post
Believe it's just gathering info now, traffic to start June 3rd.
Thanks. Good to know.
Old 05-28-2008   #15
hoffman457

hoffman457 is on a distinguished road

I expect better than this from Google; guess they feel we're not capable of conducting quality keyword research.

Why not just rename the product Broad Content Targeting?

Last edited by hoffman457 : 05-29-2008 at 12:03 AM.
hoffman457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #16
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Quote:
You need to use other keywords outside of "king of testing" or you may not receive many impressions.

I received an error the other day for attempting to use too many negative keywords. Is there a new limit? Was there ever a limit?

In the Beta does Google show you the potential matches for your KWs in Auto match?

Can you generate reports on Auto matching performance only?

Is there a more detailed description of auto match compared to broad match?

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008   #17
shorebreak

shorebreak will become famous soon enough

If anyone's using a bid management tool in conjunction with being in on the beta of Automatic Matching, I'd love to get your thoughts/observations as to how A.M. and tool use might affect each other.

-Shorebreak
shorebreak is offline   Reply With Quote