Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008   #1
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Google Sitelinks - The Good, Bad, and Ugly

This thread will serve as a discussion area for today's SEW Experts SEM Crossfire column which discusses Google's Sitelinks. The column and others can also be found by clicking on the "SEW Experts" Link on the left and navigating to SEM Crossfire.

For those unfamiliar with what Google Sitelinks are, here is Google's FAQ page.

Please read the column and then add your ideas or examples and hopefully this will serve as useful feedback for the Google!

Last edited by Chris Boggs : 05-16-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #2
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Re: Google Sitelinks - The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Ok it is live now so please feel free to share you frustration or stand up for Google. One point that got edited out that I feel is important regarding my POV is that the "bad" are Google's fault, and that the "ugly" are a combination of Google and the webmasters' fault.
Old 05-16-2008   #3
AnneHaynes

AnneHaynes is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Google Sitelinks - The Good, Bad, and Ugly

I just lost my sitelinks! I'm soooo upset! The only thing I did different to my site, is extend my domain annehaynes.com for 9 years....
AnneHaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Yeah the ups and downs on this are hard to totally work out
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #5
jasonspalace
jasonspalace

jasonspalace is on a distinguished road

to anne:
when you renewed your site for 9 nine years did you change registrars, hosting providers, or platforms? If you did, I am sure you will get them back sooner or later. Considering that it's been a week since you posted, and they still haven't returned (per a search right now for Anne Haynes on Google), my insight on the matter (in the event that you did one or more of the above) would be that you had unlucky timing (IE: you transfer your domain and change your hosting plan moving your site from a dallas based IP to a new york one, google still pulls from the records that point to dallas, finds 0 sitelinks, drops them all, now you have to wait for their next run to get them back). Guess we'll see...
jasonspalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #6
Chris Boggs

The second article in this series, dealing with how to get or change Google sitelinks, is up. Looking forward to some more stories of testing these!

CB
Old 05-30-2008   #7
chris1
Low-gravity fun for everyone!

chris1 is on a distinguished road

I didn't realize you could block pages from being listed as sitelinks in Google Webmaster Central. Thanks for the tip, guys.
chris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008   #8
Troy Lightfield
Owner, Totem Web Solutions

Troy Lightfield is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information guys. I didn't know that one could block particular pages either. Looks like Google's current "automated" approach grabs the first 5-8 links on your page and uses them. Hopefully blocking will encourage them to move to the next link?.? Anyone have info on that theory?
Troy Lightfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #9
Dan01

Dan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really nice

Oh great, something new to work on. LOL I have to figure out how to change the sitelinks for my site.
Dan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #10
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Quote:
Looks like Google's current "automated" approach grabs the first 5-8 links on your page and uses them. Hopefully blocking will encourage them to move to the next link?.? Anyone have info on that theory?
If only it were that simple ;-). There have been discussions about this since it was first introduced as it is not that straightforward. There are other factors in the mix (backlinks, toolbar data, search query + click through data are a few that have been mentioned). But as always, nobody really knows for sure.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #11
Troy Lightfield
Owner, Totem Web Solutions

Troy Lightfield is on a distinguished road

Thanks jimbeetle!
Troy Lightfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #12
Dan01

Dan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really nice

I just went to webmaster tools and checked on it. It appears to be automated still. You can block some pages from the sitemap, but according to Google they will not appear on the search results for 90 days.

I had five sitemap links and only two were relevant. The rest went to specific articles and not menu items.

It is probably a good idea to check with the webmaster tools from time to time. I noticed that for some reason my site was not verified and there were errors in the sitemap. I quickly corrected the situation using the same verification file and then had them check my sitemap again.

I suggest everyone check on their webmaster tools regularly. Here is the link:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dashboard?hl=en
Dan01 is offline   Reply With Quote