Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Google has an AdWords delivery problem

Reader of this forum will know that I love to test things. The AdWords Content Network is huge, so of course I have lots of test pages to check how AdWords ads are being delivered by the AdSense system.

For the past year I've had a web page all about Google services. Title of the page is Google Services, and content of the page is totally Google services. The page uses AdSense units to display AdWords ads. So, which ads does Google serve to this page?

It displays medical ads for all sorts of complex medical devices!!!!!! A total waste, and a total mismatch by AdSense.

So, what went wrong?

Well, my domain name happens to contain the name of a major medical company. Wow, talk about mismatching ads to content. This is a huge blunder. What exactly are Google's AdSense match algos doing? And if this can happen how do I know that my ads across the entire Content Network are being matched with accuracy?

This is a total waste of inventory. Google needs to take a close look at the AdSense content match algos. Under some situations they seem to be wasting good ad inventory.

Last edited by abbottsys : 05-10-2008 at 01:32 PM.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #2
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Re: Google has an AdWords delivery problem

I will absolutely pass your feedback along to the right folks, abbottsys.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #3
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep View Post
I will absolutely pass your feedback along to the right folks, abbottsys.

AWR
Thanks AWR. I'm abbottsys, not Abbott Labs
Old 05-13-2008   #4
Baylow

Baylow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsys View Post
Reader of this forum will know that I love to test things. The AdWords Content Network is huge, so of course I have lots of test pages to check how AdWords ads are being delivered by the AdSense system.

For the past year I've had a web page all about Google services. Title of the page is Google Services, and content of the page is totally Google services. The page uses AdSense units to display AdWords ads. So, which ads does Google serve to this page?

It displays medical ads for all sorts of complex medical devices!!!!!! A total waste, and a total mismatch by AdSense.

So, what went wrong?

Well, my domain name happens to contain the name of a major medical company. Wow, talk about mismatching ads to content. This is a huge blunder. What exactly are Google's AdSense match algos doing? And if this can happen how do I know that my ads across the entire Content Network are being matched with accuracy?

This is a total waste of inventory. Google needs to take a close look at the AdSense content match algos. Under some situations they seem to be wasting good ad inventory.

It sounds to me like people are using position preference directly to your site (as they assume it's medical related) causing the relevancy algo to not function.

(First post, Hi all).
Baylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #5
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylow View Post
It sounds to me like people are using position preference directly to your site (as they assume it's medical related) causing the relevancy algo to not function.

(First post, Hi all).
Welcome to the forum!
And yes, a good point. Placement targeting could be messing things up I suppose, bumping the keyword targeted ads and thus bypassing Google's content matching algos. In which case I need a way to turn off placement targeted ads.