Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008   #1
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Where is AdWords Rep AWR?

Abottsys has been pounding this drum and it's true Adwords rep has gone underground or perhaps deep into the jungle ever since the MS Yahoo war has heated up.

Then last night I had a stunning revelation!

Aussie Webmaster from down und R

AWR!

S/he's been here all along!

D
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Where is AdWords Rep AWR?

lol... thanks mate but not me
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #3
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
Abottsys has been pounding this drum and it's true Adwords rep has gone underground or perhaps deep into the jungle ever since the MS Yahoo war has heated up.

Then last night I had a stunning revelation!

AWR!

D
LOL! Nice theory, but afraid not. I hold these truths to be self evident: that AWR really exists, works for Google, has done so for a long time, and resides in a Google cubicle

My theory is that AWR will suddenly reappear when the Google/Yahoo deal gets resolved. I assume this deal is in limbo at the moment, because Yahoo knows that if they do a deal with Google they can *really* kiss the Microsoft deal goodbye (despite Microsoft walking away, the Microsoft/Yahoo deal is not actually dead yet.)

Anyway, we can use AWR as an indicator. So long as AWR is MIA the Google/Yahoo deal is still being considered
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #4
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

You can be sure she is "here", just not responding or at least that is my take...
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #5
j0nyDzine

j0nyDzine has a spectacular aura aboutj0nyDzine has a spectacular aura aboutj0nyDzine has a spectacular aura about

that's funny... is there some kind of forum etiquette about talking about someone not being there, knowing that they indeed probably are, yet can't talk back? Seems kinda torturous no?
j0nyDzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #6
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nyDzine View Post
Seems kinda torturous no?
YES, it does!
Old 05-07-2008   #7
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

Oh my gosh! An entire thread devoted to my recent scarcity. I am honored - and more than a little embarrassed.

Quote:

AWR!

Hahahaha! Don't make me laugh like this. It hurts the bones in my chest that I evidently cracked while sneezing too hard earlier this year! (And that, believe it or not, is a true story.)

Quote:
LOL! Nice theory, but afraid not. I hold these truths to be self evident: that AWR really exists, works for Google, has done so for a long time, and resides in a Google cubicle.
All quite true! I just hit six years this month, if you count my short stint as a contract researcher for Google Answers. And I only reside here for about half of each day - after which I actually go home and work on some oddball project or another. I take weekends off too.

Quote:
My theory is that AWR will suddenly reappear when the Google/Yahoo deal gets resolved. [...] Anyway, we can use AWR as an indicator. So long as AWR is MIA the Google/Yahoo deal is still being considered.
The actual case is infinitely less interesting than this theory. But the very straightforward truth is that my scarcity has been 100% due to a heavy workload elsewhere in the World O' Things AdWords, and 0% to do with anything related to the aforementioned deal.

It is true, however, that you will never hear me comment in threads about business deals or legal matters. I know where my expertise lies, and it is in neither of these areas.

Quote:
You can be sure she is "here", just not responding or at least that is my take...
True enough. I have skimmed the threads any number of times and included many of your quotes in the Advertiser Feedback Report I send out each Thursday. Honestly though, combined with the sheer lack of time, I have not found too many threads where I felt I could add much of value recently. I will try to shake myself loose of other things and spend more time here, though.

Quote:
that's funny... is there some kind of forum etiquette about talking about someone not being there, knowing that they indeed probably are, yet can't talk back? Seems kinda torturous no?
Oh, but I can talk back. Nothing preventing me except lack of time time and a slightly worrisome lack of energy.

This is a good segue to a question I wanted to ask you all. I am so tired these days that I am half-way to planning a couple of months away starting in August or thereabouts. My question is this:

If I were to be gone for a couple of months, would you all prefer a temporary/occasional replacement (posting, say, as AWR2) or would you prefer no AWR at all?

Feel free to answer honestly. Really. My feelings are practically bulletproof, and I will not be hurt if you choose a replacement. Well, not much.

I gotta tell you it tickles me to come here and see a thread like this. Thanks very much for actually noticing that I haven't been around much - it's nice to be missed. I may even print this out and show my manager at my next review.

Now, about that deal...

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #8
beu

OUCH, you quashed our conspiracy theories!

AWR, if our only option is "AWR numero dos" we will take option two for sure!

We didn't do anything to tick you off did we? (feel like we are being herded into the packing house, here...)

he.. he...he, just leave us your cell # so we can follow up in the event some advanced issue arises!
Old 05-08-2008   #9
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Well in your absence I hope you don’t mind if we amuse ourselves and spice up the story for when you return.

"Yahoo / Google / MSN pressure reaches tipping point at the Googleplex; AWR bails on SEW; Google management finds empty cases of Red Bull in Cubical resulting in a mandatory 2 month sabbatical. Sacrificial intern to take on heat while the storm blows over."

Story developing...

Discovery
Old 05-08-2008   #10
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep View Post
Oh my gosh! ...
Now, about that deal...

AWR
LOL!! OK, what about it? It must be close otherwise you would not re-appear
As regards a replacement AWR, I say no. We'll wait for you to return from your couple of months off.
Also, may we ask what this other secret AdWords project is that's been taking up all your time
Old 05-08-2008   #11
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

Quote:
OUCH, you quashed our conspiracy theories!
Yeah, I know. It's a horrible thing when a great conspiracy theory is quashed by a completely mundane reality. I hate it when that happens!

Quote:
We didn't do anything to tick you off did we?
Oh, no. Never in life. (As they say in the Patrick O'Brian historical novels I am making my way through yet again. Recommended. Some info: http://www.wwnorton.com/pob/bio.htm)

Quote:
"Yahoo / Google / MSN pressure reaches tipping point at the Googleplex; AWR bails on SEW; Google management finds empty cases of Red Bull in Cubical resulting in a mandatory 2 month sabbatical. Sacrificial intern to take on heat while the storm blows over."
Still laughing out loud (really) over this one. Chest hurting again. Stop. Stop.

Plus, it was only one case.

Quote:
Also, may we ask what this other secret AdWords project is that's been taking up all your time
Certainly - though I will have to be self promotional to explain it. Basically, I am seriously stepping up my participation in a Google facilitated AdWords forum on Google Groups. I helped start it a bit less than three years ago, along with a very small team, and wanted to give it some serious time as one of my personal goals for the first half of 2008.

That plus the simple fact that the longer I am at Google the more things I get involved in, and the less time I have for each thing -- however much I might wish for more time instead.

Thanks to all for the very fun thread. Still chuckling out loud over that 'spiced-up' story.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #12
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Good to see you back.... late July and all of August are generally the slowest on the board as people are on vacation with families and on road with conferences....
Could have someone getting alerts from new adwords posts on your end.. but we will survive....
Old 05-08-2008   #13
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

This just in, abbottsys top secret security camera snaps pict of AWR going to work
http://www.physorg.com/news129402609.html
Old 05-08-2008   #14
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Nice scoop ASys,

I didn't want to go into the sad details of AWR's probation period. Seems the big G saw the opportunity to both reprimand AWR, Go Green, Save a parking spot, and make good use of the ample supply of Red Bull stocked in the employee kitchens.

I think they may have been policing the Internet for photo's like these to keep their dirty little secret under wraps. I saw the original and it looks just slightly different.

The plot thickens...
Old 05-08-2008   #15
AussieWebmaster

Well stocked with Vitamin Waters and all types of coffee drinks too
Old 05-08-2008   #16
j0nyDzine

j0nyDzine has a spectacular aura aboutj0nyDzine has a spectacular aura aboutj0nyDzine has a spectacular aura about

Boooo! Conspiracy theories on boards are way more fun, esp for people like me that like to read more than post!
But wait! just think, if this is REALLY just some form of Google obfuscation, what could this really mean about "The Deal"... A month or 2 away, eh? hah! Very clever!
j0nyDzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #17
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
... I saw the original and it looks just slightly different.

The plot thickens...
Superb. I assume you snapped this with your infrared bull camera. Clearly something is up. I mean, have you noticed how Yahoo is trading today.. very strong, over 26 in fact. That clearly means something is in the works.

Did you notice how AWR suddenly appeared for one post, with carefully constructed reasoning and a list of excuses. Good grief, simple facts are not going to throw me off the conspiracy track, no sir. Somethin' is going down