Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008   #1
fspezia

fspezia is on a distinguished road
301 several pages to one page?

I have had good reults by using a 301 from one old, unimportant page with good SERP to a newer page. I have a number of old, unimportant pages and I am wondering if it would be a good strategy to redirect them all or a number of them.
Example:
old-what-are-widgets.html
old-blue-widget.html
old-red-widget.html

Redirect to:
what-are-widgets.html
blue-widget.html
red-widget.html

or

important-widget-page.html
The single page is much more important than the group of pages. Would I be wasting value by having them point to the single page?
fspezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: 301 several pages to one page?

send them to the most appropriate pages... your rank will increase across the board and pass around... giving site lift and the individual pages for keywords
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #3
fspezia

fspezia is on a distinguished road

In general I do redirect one page to one page but I do have a case where there are 8 pages (6 have PR4) that are obsolete, provide no value to us and could appropriately be redirected to one page. I am just wondering if that SERP and PR value would be lost or would be aggregated.
fspezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #4
christo26
Newport Beach, CA

christo26 is on a distinguished road

Redirect, hoping to retain SERP and PR? It would massively defy all logic for your not to lose those. Replace the content on the redir page with the target URL's content (a copy, with enhanced text)...
christo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #5
metasynman
meh-tuh-sin-man

metasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of light

As long as the search relevancy for the old page's SERP listings still apply to the newly 301'd page, you'll be fine. But if a page was ranked for terms that don't apply to the new page it's redirecting to, it's only a matter of time before the ranking gets readjusted to the new page.
metasynman is offline   Reply With Quote