Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2008   #1
CaseyC

CaseyC is just really niceCaseyC is just really niceCaseyC is just really niceCaseyC is just really nice
DMOZ links

Are links from DMOZ still a relevant link to have? I have always heard that they are, but recently someone told me that DMOZ and Yahoo Directory links are actually not all that valuable.
CaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #2
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Re: DMOZ links

never listen to "they" because "they" can get you in trouble. A Marine Staff Sergeant once told me that.

The DMOZ links can be hard to get depending on the category, but from my viewpoint they still hold value. I would still say that Yahoo Dir. is about the best $299 you can spend on SEO.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #3
metasynman
meh-tuh-sin-man

metasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, until Google flat-out blacklists directory sites like DMOZ, it definitely can't hurt to get in there. Even if SE's put relatively less weight on directory listings now versus in the past, "fewer points" is still points and they all add up. Saying they're not valuable anymore really just depends on what you consider a "value" to be. If the $299 Yahoo directory fee Chris mentioned is more money than you think it's worth for a small boost to your rankings, then I'd guess you could say it's not valuable. But assuming you're working for a company with more than half-decent revenues, 300 bucks is a drop in the bucket to list on the second-most-popular search engine's directory.
metasynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #4
temats
Experienced with Professional Services Websites

temats is on a distinguished road

I echo the statement about Yahoo's directory being the best $299 spent on SEO.

IMO, DMOZ has been unreliable for a few years now - ever since their submission was down for several months. Editors simply don't reply and are not objective. Consequently, I have not seen any negatives to not being included.
temats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #5
seodoc

seodoc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by temats View Post
IMO, DMOZ has been unreliable for a few years now - ever since their submission was down for several months. Editors simply don't reply and are not objective. Consequently, I have not seen any negatives to not being included.
Yeah, no kidding. Including all the submissions to every directory I've ever made...DMOZ is the most unreliable directory ever...(IMO). Either their submission form errors out or the editor is non-existent or not objective...not to mention the non-speedy way their site loads at times.
seodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #6
birdie

birdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of light

Where did you get the impression that DMOZ is there as a listing service for webmasters? Can I suggest those who are unhappy with the service they are getting, ask for a refund.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #7
seodoc

seodoc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
Where did you get the impression that DMOZ is there as a listing service for webmasters? Can I suggest those who are unhappy with the service they are getting, ask for a refund.
From DMOZ's site:
The Open Directory follows in the footsteps of some of the most important editor/contributor projects of the 20th century. Just as the Oxford English Dictionary became the definitive word on words through the efforts of volunteers, the Open Directory follows in its footsteps to become the definitive catalog of the Web.

They put themselves in the business of being a "definitive catalog"... I'm not knocking the directory...in fact, I think it would have been a great thing... if it worked.
seodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #8
pcun
Peter C

pcun is on a distinguished road

Yeap, Dmoz and Yahoo are still very important. Most of the empirical testing that I have done on listings in SERPs definetly shows a bias towards sites that are listed in Dmoz and Yahoo Dir.

IMO they are stiil very much counted as important backlinks.

Ignore at your ranking peril!
pcun is offline   Reply With Quote