Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2008   #1
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Is domaintools using nofollow?

View the source code of:
http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache...&hl=en&strip=1

How many nofollows do you count?
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Is domaintools using nofollow?

none.... but what are the links sellimg for?
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #3
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

http://vpslink.com/?utm_source=domai... aign=dtsmall1

Well hidden (as in under "sponsored...") link using anchor "Cheap VPS Hosting".

Obviously an ad in the "real" page:
http://whois.domaintools.com/google.com

Last edited by beu : 04-28-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-28-2008   #4
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

and the links in the footer
Old 04-28-2008   #5
beu

no next to the google search box, top of the page but yes there could be others. Others arent nearly as blatant...

Last edited by beu : 04-28-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2008   #6
beu

Smile Re: Is domaintools using nofollow?

You'll never guess what site ranks number one for "Cheap VPS Hosting"!!!!!!!!! hmmmm

Posted more on my blog:
http://www.beussery.com/blog/index.p...sing-pagerank/

Last edited by beu : 04-28-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2008   #7
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Well, nobody 'cept Google actually knows if that sponsored link is passing PR or not. I don't really know how Google handled the weighting of sponsored and affiliate links before nofollow reared its ugly head, but assume they have to have some mechanism in place somewhere along the line.

As to whether nofollow should be used in this case, well, I'm definitely in the no nofollow camp. If Google can't see that this is an ad then that's its problem.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #8
AussieWebmaster

use another widget or get the links dropped
Old 04-29-2008   #9
beu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeetle View Post
As to whether nofollow should be used in this case, well, I'm definitely in the no nofollow camp. If Google can't see that this is an ad then that's its problem.
Sure, my problem is that there are no nofollows on the page. It's hard for me to believe there are no paid links contained on domaintools.com website. It sends mixed signals for Google to tell others not to do something that there "partner" is doing openly and I thought they should know.
Old 04-29-2008   #10
AussieWebmaster

Definitely a good catch mate.... am interested to see how long before there is a Google response to this activity... or lack there of
Old 04-29-2008   #11
j0nyDzine

j0nyDzine has a spectacular aura aboutj0nyDzine has a spectacular aura aboutj0nyDzine has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by beu View Post
Sure, my problem is that there are no nofollows on the page. It's hard for me to believe there are no paid links contained on domaintools.com website. It sends mixed signals for Google to tell others not to do something that there "partner" is doing openly and I thought they should know.
Yeah, completely, totally and utterly there, BEU. Otherwise, it's "Do no evil... unless you're our friend, then it's OK..."
j0nyDzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #12
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Quote:
It's hard for me to believe there are no paid links contained on domaintools.com website.
The link to the "Cheap VPS Hosting" site sure appears to be paid and is clearly labeled as a "Sponsored Ad."

As for the others that might look like they're paid, if you dig down you'll find that all lead to what appear to be associated sites. Looks to me like it's just linking to its siblings.
Old 04-30-2008   #13
AussieWebmaster

free stock ticker???
Old 04-30-2008   #14
jimbeetle

Quote:
free stock ticker???
Yep, uses domaintools SSL cert.
Old 04-30-2008   #15
AussieWebmaster

yeah I have a pile of non relevant sites... can I juice them from my other sites without looking like a spammer
Old 04-30-2008   #16
jimbeetle

Now I didn't say it was good practice, AW just that those links are probably not paid.
Old 04-30-2008   #17
beu

UPDATE:

Matt Cutts, confirmed earlier today that the problem is now resolved:

"When I checked this morning it looks like the ad at
whois.domaintools.com/example. ...
now has a redirect through "/go/", which has a robots.txt blocking /go/ ."

- http://blogoscoped.com/forum/129858.html#id129917

Old 04-30-2008   #18
AussieWebmaster

Brian this was a good find....
Old 04-30-2008   #19
beu

Thanks Aussie... (blushing) means a lot but nothing anyone else couldn't have found.