Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Search Industry Growth & Trends
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2008   #1
Kevin Heisler

Kevin Heisler will become famous soon enough
Top 3 Toughest Jobs to Fill in Search

Veget started such a great thread on "SEO at University" I decided to post on the "toughest jobs to fill" in search marketing.

Would anyone like to share their experience in learning about search for our new members? Anyone trying to "start over" in the new field of search marketing?

Last edited by Kevin Heisler : 04-25-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: add link
Kevin Heisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #2
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of
Re: Top 3 Toughest Jobs to Fill in Search

o0o0o0o - nice thread Kevin. I'm not someone looking to hire nor in charge of hiring, but I would like to chime in based on my experiences.

I think companies face a lot of turnover when it comes to PPC managers. The ones they hire have no idea what they are doing, don't know what it's like to manage any budget more than a couple of hundred dollars a month, don't know what it's like to manage a campaign in a competitive market, or know some things but aren't sophisticated enough (read: savvy enough).

I think another difficult position to fill is SEO sales. There are plenty of sales people out there, but to find the balance between someone who knows SEO and has enough sales skills is probably pretty tricky. Also, not all SEOs are skilled enough to be in sales. Some are good enough to be trained, but that's also based on what you can detect from conversing with them.

I for one get recruiters calling me about "SEO" but it's almost always a PPC position, which leads me to think there's a lot of turnover for those kinds of in-house positions.
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Advanced web analytics
Advanced SEO
Social Media Marketing
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #4
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

High-end SEO Technologist - Folks with "MacGyver" like SEO skills able to handle anything thrown their way and make it work even if doing so involves using their last stick of gum.

Advanced SEO Analyst - Multidisciplinary gurus able to pluck needles from hey stacks, using only chopsticks and while blindfolded.

SEO Assistants - ex-swedish bikini models who up and decided to get into search one day!

Last edited by beu : 04-26-2008 at 03:52 AM.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #5
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

well start working in the adult industry for the latter
Old 04-27-2008   #6
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

I agree that finding experienced PPC or SEO managers is tough. That said, some companies make it even harder on themselves by not being flexible. I see so many job postings that say "local candidates only, no relocation provided." What a huge turnoff. Since there are so few experienced SEMs out there right now, companies need to be a little more flexible and consider either offering relocation, or offering remote / telecommuting arrangements. Unless you're located in New York or SoCal, you're going to have a hard time finding local candidates with any experience - and many of those with experience don't want to uproot their family to come work for you, especially on their own dime with the housing market the way it is.

I think companies who are willing to accept flexible work arrangements have much less trouble filling positions, especially if you want to hire an SEM rockstar and not a fresh-out-of-college grad that you'll need to train.
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #7
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66 View Post
I agree that finding experienced PPC or SEO managers is tough. That said, some companies make it even harder on themselves by not being flexible. I see so many job postings that say "local candidates only, no relocation provided." What a huge turnoff. Since there are so few experienced SEMs out there right now, companies need to be a little more flexible and consider either offering relocation, or offering remote / telecommuting arrangements. Unless you're located in New York or SoCal, you're going to have a hard time finding local candidates with any experience - and many of those with experience don't want to uproot their family to come work for you, especially on their own dime with the housing market the way it is.

I think companies who are willing to accept flexible work arrangements have much less trouble filling positions, especially if you want to hire an SEM rockstar and not a fresh-out-of-college grad that you'll need to train.
great point Mel... I have had a few offers outside of the NYC area that were attractive except for the fact that I am divorced and have kids I would not leave...
Old 05-13-2008   #8
brisbaneseo

brisbaneseo is on a distinguished road

Well at the moment I am trying to build my reputation for SEO in the tougher non PPC industries such as travel, dating, financial services and property. It is quiet hard finding really experienced people in my area to help mentor and advise you on certain areas such as adwords and industry specific SEO.

Sure there are a lot of recurring themes and universal strategies in SEM however there is a lot of industry specific knowledge needed. I talk to some of the SEO managers of other companies however I often whether they are doing as well as they should be. Most SEO companies seem to have experience tailored to SME's in niches with small adwords budgets. I have a campaign starting next week which has a roll out (testing) budget of $1000 per day. Most SEM have that kind of budget a month here.

My three would be:

- Finding people with industry specific SEO knowledge

- Finding people who can handle or advise on large adwords and advertising spends particular in high volume low profit margin markets like travel

- Finding people you can trust to delegate to who will go out of their way to produce great SEO and SEM results for you as you move onto new and bigger clients.
brisbaneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #9
AussieWebmaster

Industry specific SEO knowledge can be gained by the right tools... at least what words to go after... use a tool like KeywordSpy
Old 05-15-2008   #10
realmagic

realmagic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Heisler View Post
Would anyone like to share their experience in learning about search for our new members? Anyone trying to "start over" in the new field of search marketing?
As someone who is trying to start over in the field of search marketing, it would be great if people could share their experience in how they got started, what courses on SEO they took, how they landed their first job. Thanks!
realmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #11
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of

I have a vacation starting soon and will write something up for this thread...welcome to the forums magic.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008   #12
realmagic

realmagic is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'll be looking forward to it.
realmagic is offline   Reply With Quote