Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2008   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Yahoo AdWords Test is Back Again!!!!!!

Well, it ran for about a week, then is stopped for a few days, and now it's back again. Yes, the Yahoo AdWords test gets more interesting by the day.

My AdWords Test Ad (which is *not* subscribed to the Content Network) is back at the top of Yahoo.

Yahoo is running AdWords Ads just like a regular Google Search Partner.

Is Yahoo collecting more data? The plot thickens. This is all very interesting.

My gut feeling? This is the lull before the storm. I'm not sure what kind of storm, but I predict it will break very soon. If I was forced to make a specific prediction, I would say the storm will begin with Yahoo announcing a major Ad distribution deal with Google - and before the end of this month.

Last edited by abbottsys : 04-17-2008 at 12:58 PM.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #2
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Re: Yahoo AdWords Test is Back Again!!!!!!

Something just occured to me. My AdWords test ad it at the top of both Google and Yahoo and I'm a happy advertiser. But, err... umm... why am I the only person reporting seeing my AdWords Ads on Yahoo

Last edited by abbottsys : 04-17-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2008   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of

Maybe you are cookied as one of the 3% of Yahoo users who see those Google ads?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #4
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick View Post
That's what I'm thinking, too. I have yet to see any of our clients' Google ads on Yahoo, and I've been looking. I'm probably cookied into the 97%.
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008   #5
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick View Post
Ah, that would explain it.
BTW: As of this morning my ads have dissapeared from Yahoo again. We're now at the 2 week mark for this test (with a few days break last weekend) so I'm thinking it might be really finished. If so, and if it's going to be used for something significant, then that "something significant" could be announced next week. I guess we'll see.
Old 04-20-2008   #6
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Well, as of now (Sunday morning, April 20th) my AdWords ad is back on Yahoo. This time I see it from Safari on the Mac, whereas for the past 2 weeks I could only see it from IE on a Windows. Of course, the ad is only on the Yahoo search network, not on the Yahoo content network.

Anyway.. it seems the test is still running, and through the weekend no less
Old 04-21-2008   #7
michelle car

michelle car is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Yahoo AdWords Test is Back Again!!!!!!

I have spoken with folks from Yahoo....some very interesting things going on...

The folks at Yahoo know NOTHING more about this test than we do (or so they claim). They also have been BLOCKED from viewing the same results that we, the customers see. I know this because I found 15 examples of our competitors conquesting on us - I sent a TM complaint to our reps who couldn't find any of the examples I gave.....coming to the conclusion that I was seeing Google results on the Yahoo page (i.e. conquesting is being allowed on competitor terms), but they were not.

This test is due to finish on or around April 26th, of course, this is subject to change.
michelle car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #8
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle car View Post
I have spoken with folks from Yahoo....some very interesting things going on...

The folks at Yahoo know NOTHING more about this test than we do (or so they claim). They also have been BLOCKED from viewing the same results that we, the customers see. I know this because I found 15 examples of our competitors conquesting on us - I sent a TM complaint to our reps who couldn't find any of the examples I gave.....coming to the conclusion that I was seeing Google results on the Yahoo page (i.e. conquesting is being allowed on competitor terms), but they were not.

This test is due to finish on or around April 26th, of course, this is subject to change.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Yahoo will be releasing their Q1 results tomorrow (Tuesday, April 22) so perhaps we'll see a Google/Yahoo announcement after that. I have a gut feeling something is close, perhaps very close. I gotta say that, having seen my ads run in this test for the past 2 weeks, I would be very happy with Yahoo becoming a Google Search Partner.
Old 04-22-2008   #9
doyoujahoo2020

doyoujahoo2020 is on a distinguished road

I would just like to help monitor some of the information being shared on this forum and others like it concering the Yahoo/Google search test. Both the press release people at Yahoo have provided information that is consistent with what I am seeing online as well as within my Yahoo and Google accounts.

1) In Yahoo's press release they did mention that they were joining the Adsense For Search program, so this should take care of any confusion on whether or not content ads or search ads should be showing.

2)The test is a cookie-based bucket test in which UP TO 3% of searches, only on Yahoo.com web properties, will show Google ads. This 3% is typical of most bucket tests that search engines run, as well as it is also typical for the tests to be cookie based. To clear up any confusion, being cookie based, it is possible for multiple people to see Google ads a large percentage, if not all of, the time. This seems to be the case from the different threads on this site, and it should be noted since the cookies can not cross from one browser to the next, that on IE you may see different ads than on Netscape or Safari. From exhastive reviews of my temporary internet files and limited use of Yahoo besides their search capabilities, it seems that the cookies expire after a certain time, possibly a day or two, and then can be potentially be replaced. This could be why ads are appearing, going away, reappearing, and so forth.

3)The test has not stopped since April 10th, though different search %'s may have been affected each day depending on the searches done by those who have been cookied and whether or not they have deleted their cookies.

4)The test is not a mixed marketplace, so it is not reasonable to assume that by turning off Yahoo ads your Google ad would then begin to appear. If you are seeing Google ads in different ranking or made up of different advertisers on Yahoo, there are many explanations for this besides a mixed marketplace test. For instance, some of the advertisers on Google may not be opted into , or may only be opted into, their search ad network, therefore changing the rankings or makretplace make-up on Yahoo versus Google. Additionally, Yahoo would not be able to gain accurate data on whether or not Google is providing higher RPS (revenue per search) unless the Yahoo and Google ads were in separate impressions. If it was a mixed marketplace, they would be testing to see which is more profitable Yahoo or Yahoo/Google ads, and instead are trying to decide if Yahoo or Google alone can provide higher RPS.

5)You should be seeing clicks for Google ads on Yahoo show up, and charged, in your Google account(s) along with conversion data and the like.

6)CPC's and CTR on your Yahoo accounts could be decreasing, which makes sense, because they are only giving up search impressions on their most Yahoo. Compared to their partner network, which is not affected, Yahoo.com impressions have higher CTR's and higher CPC's, now with the partner network getting a higher % of total impressions, different advertisers could easily see clicks and CPC's decrease by disproportionately more than the 3% caused by pure impression loss.

I gained a good deal of this information by contacting my Yahoo rep adn asking some different questions, they were careful with their words but definitely had access to some sort of FAQ that they could refer to and answer questions with.

I would love to hear what others have to say about this.
doyoujahoo2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #10
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyoujahoo2020 View Post
....I would love to hear what others have to say about this.
A great post. Thanks for sharing your research, and I think it explains a lot. For example, the cookie stuff may explain why I've been seeing my ads appear and dissapear. And AdSense for Search is certainly a possible explanation for the way Yahoo is configured. But certainly, being Yahoo, I'm sure Google would be happy to configure them in any way they wish.

Last edited by abbottsys : 04-22-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-29-2008   #11
adman1

adman1 is on a distinguished road
US/.com only?

I've been trying to explain some unusual figures in the UK during April.

I wouldn't mind if this were just in the content network, but this makes me think I should switch off the search network as well.

More importantly my clients have paid for additonal - low quality - traffic, which also reduces their quality score (albeit everyone elses too).

Yahoo traffic in return for Google prices - is that not misrepresentation? If I had the clout I'd add this to the list of things to sue Google over..
adman1 is offline   Reply With Quote