Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2004   #1
Online Survey Diva

Online Survey Diva is on a distinguished road
Banned by Yahoo?

I recently started at a company, and when I arrived, I found out that (based on our logs) Yahoo has not spidered our site for nearly a year.

The company had hired a high profile SEO company about a year ago and proceeded to work with them for about six months. I'm not sure if the SEO firm was to blame or not.

Looking at our current site, I don't see any black hat techniques being used (you can check it out at www.websurveyor.com and see for yourself what you might think). However, I can't get ahold of anyone at Yahoo to confirm if I'm banned or why I might have been banned. However, what I do know is that when the Yahoo spider comes to my site, the log files show that it only views robots.txt and then leaves.

I've reviewed my robots.txt file, and there's nothing there that should scare away the Yahoo spider. I've even reviewed it with staff at Overture Site Match, because I want to participate in that program but it will do me no good if Yahoo won't spider me or if I've been banned. Overture (even though they are a Yahoo company) can't direct me to anyone at Yahoo to help either.

Anyone out there have some ideas on what I can do? I'm tired of being possibly punished for the bad actions of a bad firm!!!

The Diva
Online Survey Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004   #2
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
This is what shows up now at Yahoo! Search for the domain:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=sl...ebsurveyor.com

If they hired a *high profile SEO firm*, what keyword phrases were they supposed to have ended up ranking for?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004   #3
Online Survey Diva

Online Survey Diva is on a distinguished road
Keywords

Marica,

Thanks for your reply. We had a target list of over 500 words to choose from. They didn't do the basics of optimizaton, like rewriting our content to match for any of those words.

All of the pages you'll see on Yahoo are old ones. When I came on board, I immediately started rewriting pages for natural search optimization. I got ranked very quickly on Google and did well. I sumbitted the pages to Yahoo, however, and I still don't get spidered past the robots file. So NONE of the new pages (and I have a ton of them) have gotten indexed by Yahoo.

I did the original submissions in July, then I tried again in August and September.

So as an example of a handful of keywords I submitted, "automate training assessment" was a target keyword. The page http://www.websurveyor.com/employees...assessment.asp is optimized for that keyword. I rank #1 on Google for that term, but have not been indexed by Yahoo for that term.

Hope that helps.

Diva

Last edited by Online Survey Diva : 10-15-2004 at 01:37 PM.
Online Survey Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004   #4
YsMike
Official Yahoo! Rep

YsMike will become famous soon enough
Online Survey Diva,

I saw this and wanted to provide a bit of guidance on how to get a site reviewed. The best place to start is to make sure your site meets the editorial guidelines. Even if you're sure it does it might be best to double check:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearc...etions-05.html

Once you've done that and made any corrections that might need to be made, you should request a site review by sending an email to:

ystfeedback@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Yahoo! Mike
YsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004   #5
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
Thank you for that bit of information Yahoo! Mike. Can one actually expect a response from someone at Yahoo! when sending inquiries to that address in the same way that Google responds to the help@google.com? Reason I ask is I have never been able to get any response from Yahoo! to date related to these types of issues. Hopefully Yahoo! is working to improve this?
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004   #6
asans

asans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YsMike
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearc...etions-05.html

Once you've done that and made any corrections that might need to be made, you should request a site review by sending an email to:

ystfeedback@yahoo.com
Hello Mike,

If some sites has disappeared from Yahoo! index, after being in the first pages from years, could be useful writing to that address to ask the reason of exclusion and the way to be indexed again?

Many thanks.

Last edited by asans : 10-29-2004 at 07:41 AM.
asans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004   #7
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
If some sites has disappeared from Yahoo! index, after being in the first pages from years
asans, if those sites were in the Yahoo index for years, it would have been Google supplying the search prior to this year. Were you also on the first pages at MSN, and are your sites gone there also? When did the sites disappear?
Old 11-02-2004   #8
asans

Thanks Marcia,

I think you're right.

Yes the sites were in the first pages on Msn too and they disappeared from it too.

It happened about ten days ago.

What do you suggest?

Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2004   #9
jen
JAVH

jen is on a distinguished road
There were many reports of sites dissappearing from Yahoo immediatly following the switch from Google supplied results to using their own technology and slurp spider. As your has only recently gone it's dissappearing act can not realistically be attributed to the switch over and more recent changes to your site should be looked at instead. "Extreme" cross linking or linking to bad neighbourhoods maybe....
jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #10
asans

Hi jen, thanks for your answer.

The sites are 11 and they are interlinked each other only from the home-pages. I don't think this could be an "extreme" practice...i think it's normal.

About bad neighbourhoods, the sites have many links pages, but I'm usually quite selective with the sites I link. Even if many of them have been linked before I started to work here, so I can't be totally sure.
Old 11-18-2004   #11
fatbill

fatbill is on a distinguished road
Yahoo!mike,

Thank you for posting that link and information... I too had the misfortune of having a site dissappear from Yahoo.... I took your advice and dropped that address an email... got a reply, and things have been resolved.

It's great to have such a responsive Engine to work with! ;-)
fatbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004   #12
Marcia

>>It happened about ten days ago.

asans if it was right around this month, as jen says it's not a Google_related issue. Go through the checklist Yahoo gives as guidelines first - but there's a possibility it can have something to do with hosting arrangements. There have been reports of sites being dropped because of other sites on the same IP.
Old 12-23-2004   #13
alxgb

alxgb is on a distinguished road
my site was "banned" a while back I believe because they claim it was "dedicated to redirecting the user."

Instead of banner ads, on the bottom of each page I have text that says "To purchase widgets, click here". My site has tons of good content and I spend a ton of time on it. Just sent in a review request, we'll see what happens.
alxgb is offline   Reply With Quote