Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2008   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
AdWords Ads now live on Yahoo!

I've just spotted one of my AdWords Ads on Yahoo.

So, the Yahoo 2 week test with Google is now live. I'm not sure what the Yahoo Ad intreface is, but it looks like they are pulling ads as a Google Search Partner and not under AdSense as reported in the Press.

If you Yahoo your keywords to look for your AdWords Ads bear in mind that they are only shown on a small percentage of Yahoo SRPs, so you'll probably have to repeat your search many times to see your ad.

Let us know if you spot your AdWords Ads on Yahoo.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: AdWords Ads are now live on Yahoo!!!!!!

Are you sure they are not pulling a content ad of yours
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #3
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
Are you sure they are not pulling a content ad of yours
Positive. I just tested again, and saw one of my ads on Yahoo that is absolutely *not* on the Content Network. They are running as a Search Partner.
Old 04-10-2008   #4
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Interesting... blow this scenario out full scale and to the advertisers would it not feel as if all three engines have merged?

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #5
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Well. Isn't this interesting?!? I just checked and couldn't find any of our clients' Google ads on Yahoo, but will definitely keep an eye on this!
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #6
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
Interesting... blow this scenario out full scale and to the advertisers would it not feel as if all three engines have merged?

Discovery
Yes indeed. But from a business perspective I'm not sure what Yahoo is trying to do. Let's recap the story so far..

Microsoft comes after Yahoo, so Yahoo runs to Google and becomes a Search Partner. Microsoft, slightly insulted, pauses briefly to prepare a far more lethal attack.

My advice to Google -- Don't get sucked into this mess. Yahoo is a gonner. Let Microsoft have Yahoo. They will then screw it up and you'll be free to pickup the balance of the search market you don't already own. And all without spending a penny. And, while this plays out, let anyone be a Search Partner so you can make some extra cash in the process

Last edited by abbottsys : 04-10-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2008   #7
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

but yahoo has 20% of market share.... let microsoft have it?
Old 04-10-2008   #8
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
but yahoo has 20% of market share.... let microsoft have it?
Well, given that Google has to grab this from someone, or pay top $ to buy it, it's probably better to let Microsoft first incur $billions to acquire the Yahoo platform (way inferior to AdWords), then make a grab for the 20% while they are still struggling to swallow the acquisition. Candy from a baby. I mean, does Microsoft have a stellar record in the search field

Last edited by abbottsys : 04-10-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2008   #9
AussieWebmaster

Microsoft used to have a stellar search record... go back 3 years and microsoft had the best financial services results for paid search.... the organic results are one thing but to maintain the business you need the advertisers and if they could recapture that niche they would be in great shape considering it is the area with the highest bids
Old 04-10-2008   #10
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Microsoft used to have a stellar search record... go back 3 years and microsoft had the best financial services results for paid search.... the organic results are one thing but to maintain the business you need the advertisers and if they could recapture that niche they would be in great shape considering it is the area with the highest bids
Well, maybe, maybe, and maybe again. In the meantime my AdWords Ads are running on Yahoo. I'm happy
Old 04-10-2008   #11
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsys View Post
Well, maybe, maybe, and maybe again. In the meantime my AdWords Ads are running on Yahoo. I'm happy
yeah but most of my terms are cheaper in yahoo than at google... so I now pay more for the ad when it runs on Yahoo but through Google
Old 04-10-2008   #12
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

RECAP -- TEST RESULTS

1) Google AdWords are now showing on Yahoo
2) Yahoo seems to be configured as a Google Search Partner, not as an AdSense publisher
3) We believe this to be a "test", and to last approx. 2 weeks
4) Initially (i.e. earlier today) I was only seeing my ad a small percent of the time (i.e. Yahoo was only including it on a fraction of the SRPs for a given search), but now I'm seeing my ad 100% of the time

Testing continues.
Old 04-10-2008   #13
AussieWebmaster

adsense search generally gave content ads... you are being listed ffor your regular ads that are not running on content?
Old 04-10-2008   #14
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
adsense search generally gave content ads... you are being listed ffor your regular ads that are not running on content?
Exactly. My AdWords Ad that is showing on Yahoo is *not* opted into the Google Content Network. But it *is* opted into the Google Search Partner Network. I therefore conclude Yahoo is configured as a Google Search Partner, not as an AdSense publisher.
Old 04-10-2008   #15
AussieWebmaster

so the reports and even yahoo's press release were inaccurate..... barry had it right the first time....
Old 04-10-2008   #16
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
so the reports and even yahoo's press release were inaccurate..... barry had it right the first time....
Yup. And the reports also said that the Google ads would only be displayed about 3% of the time on Yahoo. I'm seeing my ad displayed 100% of the time. But, to get this I had to shut down my Yahoo ad. As soon as I shut it down my Google Ad took over! I wonder where this whole thing is headed?
Old 04-10-2008   #17
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

UPDATE --

1) Google AdWords (text ads) are now showing on Yahoo
2) Yahoo seems to be configured as a Google Search Partner, not as an AdSense publisher
3) We believe this to be a "test", and to last approx. 2 weeks
4) Initially (i.e. earlier today) I was only seeing my ad a small percent of the time (i.e. Yahoo was only including it on a fraction of the SRPs for a given search), but now I'm seeing my ad 100% of the time
5) I needed to stop my (native) Yahoo ad before the Google Ad took over on Yahoo.
6) The net effect is like a pooled ad resource, where Google and Yahoo have pooled ads to run on Yahoo (and maybe soon on both engines?)
Old 04-10-2008   #18
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute

Here's yesterday's Yahoo Press Release
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #19
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough

Best idea is part of Google RnD can work for Yahoo and MSN for some period lol
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #20
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Here's yesterday's Yahoo Press Release
My testing shows some important differences from this Press Release. First, I'm seeing Yahoo as a Google Search Partner, not an AdSense publisher. Second, as regards to 3% display rate, my AdWords Ads on Yahoo are running at a 100% display rate. Just a couple of minor discrepancies