Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2004   #1
Daria_Goetsch
SEOExplore.com - SEO Research Directory

Daria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura aboutDaria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura about
One-Way Link Building

One-Way Linking

One-way linking is a good way to build your link popularity. One-way linking is more difficult to obtain vs reciprocal linking. The benefit of this method is that you do not have to be concerned about linking back to the other website.

Submitting free content to other websites provides a link back to your website, as well as promoting your website through the submission content. Writing articles or white papers also helps build your authority as an expert in your field. Most importantly, you are helping others to learn more about your topic.

Methods for one-way linking:

Write original articles
Create a monthly newsletter
Business directories
Topical directories
Join online business associations
Press releases
White papers
E-books

Submit articles, white papers, press releases, etc. to other websites that accept free content. Make sure you include a bio or information about your website with your submission, including a hypertext link back to your website. Archive your free content on your own website to build your website. Your visitors will appreciate the free information you provide.

Feel free to post other methods you use for one-way linking in this thread.
Daria_Goetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Daria,

Don't forget about making free, unique tools. Those generic tons of one way free links.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004   #3
Daria_Goetsch

Daria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura aboutDaria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura about
Absolutely, if you have a free tool to offer this is another great way to build one-way links.
Old 06-01-2004   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
other advertising

Banners and text links work for getting traffic and have the benefit of being oneway links.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #5
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
another technique is to create a useful directory which people will want to link to

another good technique is to create a parody site (like black hat seo)

a more controversial technique (which is sometimes highly effective but can backfire) is to tell someone they are out to lunch. often times people will feel the need to protect their ego and link into a site against them. others may pick up and syndicate the idea as well.

http://mucklermedia.blogspot.com/

is a good recent example of this
Old 06-03-2004   #6
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
tell someone they are out to lunch
I don't believe you, you must be wrong, and I dare you to link to me

Actually, I'd never thought of that before (it's counter to my personality, generally) but it makes a lot of sense. I'm just not sure I'd use it as a tactic, though no doubt there are a few trolls out there this would work wonders for LOL

Another way to accomplish one way linking is information feeds like news, quotes, pictures of the day (linked) and so forth. In essence the feed either contains or IS the link.

Ian
Old 06-03-2004   #7
nuclei
Your Link Broker

nuclei is on a distinguished road
or just buy the dang things

seriously though, our free tools generate better than average links.
Old 06-03-2004   #8
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanerin
Actually, I'd never thought of that before (it's counter to my personality, generally) but it makes a lot of sense. I'm just not sure I'd use it as a tactic, though no doubt there are a few trolls out there this would work wonders for LOL
There are some social policies and people I vehemently despise and would happily use any technique necissary to express my opinion about

My main goal in learning SEO is to try to use it to help change social policy for the better. After enough learning I hope to eventually be good at it.
Old 06-03-2004   #9
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
I can certainly sympathise with that! And of course the irony of having said obnoxious types contributing to their own downfall by linking to it is a nice touch, too

Cheers,

Ian
Old 06-03-2004   #10
Kal

Kal has a spectacular aura aboutKal has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
another technique is to create a useful directory which people will want to link to

another good technique is to create a parody site (like black hat seo)

http://mucklermedia.blogspot.com/

is a good recent example of this
I'm sure I should know who this site is parodying (is that a word?), but I don't. Can someone bring me up to speed?
Old 06-03-2004   #11
bwelford
Internet Marketing Consultant

bwelford is on a distinguished road
I'm up to my 40th monthly newsletter so I can vouch for the effectiveness of that approach in getting links <shameless plug="see the signature for the last one">.

However I was not posting for that reason. No-one had mentioned blogs as far as I could see. I have started a blog since I found that topics come up that are worthy of a little comment much more frequently than once a month. This creates many more opportunities for linking out and that encourages others to link in.

... and while it comes to mind, did anyone mention being active in fora (I've got to use my education in a dead language occasionally!)
Old 06-03-2004   #12
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I'm sure I should know who this site is parodying (is that a word?), but I don't. Can someone bring me up to speed?
http://weblogs.jupitermedia.com/meckler/

Alan Meckler, the guy who is the CEO of JupiterMedia (putting on that conference everyone is at right now)
Old 06-03-2004   #13
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
There are some social policies and people I vehemently despise and would happily use any technique necissary to express my opinion about

My main goal in learning SEO is to try to use it to help change social policy for the better. After enough learning I hope to eventually be good at it.
And make a living too I would hope...
Old 06-05-2004   #14
Black_Knight
Ancient SEO

Black_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really nice
Good content doesn't do much to build links. Great content is better. However, remarkable content is ultimately what it is all about. A link is a remark, a citation, but mostly an exclaimation - a coded "Hey wow! Lookit that?!"

Good isn't the issue.

In the SEO industry, the last thing I saw that really completely fit the bill was Marketleap's Link Pop and Saturation checking tools. Some of the PageRank checkers for those without the toolbar are also pretty cool of course, and rapidly gaining those IBLs.

Writing articles and White Papers only works if they are remarkable articles. There are topics that just won't be remarkable. A classic example was given by Peter Da Vanzo of SearchEngineBlog a while back in a discussion at another forum, where he pointed out that writing yet another article on Meta Tags is pointless, no matter how good. It has been done to death. It could be the greatest article ever written, and it still wouldn't raise attention, never mind exclaimations.

Of course, the number of links you actually need often doesn't require extreme originality. Often a dozen or so good links from republished articles, or linking to a particular resource is enough for your needs - at least until someone else comes along with something remarkable and leaves you to choke on the dust.
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004   #15
seobook
I'm blogging this

fun book about making remarkable ideas which i would like to remark about / link to (just as an example ) Purple Cow
Old 06-05-2004   #16
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Knight
Good content doesn't do much to build links. Great content is better. However, remarkable content is ultimately what it is all about. A link is a remark, a citation, but mostly an exclaimation - a coded "Hey wow! Lookit that?!"
Ammon, you left out a link to your first blog posting on the The Real Meaning of Links. See that, great content just got a link.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004   #17
Black_Knight
Ancient SEO

Black_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really nice
Hey Barry, good to see you here (and especially when you provide links to my stuff ). Thanks muchly.
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004   #18
Daria_Goetsch

The Real Meaning of Links - Blog Post

Nice blog post, Black_Knight. Please be sure to share the link to your new link article here when it is ready.
Old 06-07-2004   #19
AussieWebmaster

lol

It does seem like old home week around here
Old 06-08-2004   #20
theBPC

theBPC is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanerin
Another way to accomplish one way linking is information feeds like news, quotes, pictures of the day (linked) and so forth. In essence the feed either contains or IS the link.

Ian
Ian, could you explain how this works? I mean, if I have a live news plugin on my site, how is that putting a link to my site?

Hope this question doesn't sound dense
theBPC is offline   Reply With Quote