Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2008   #1
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of
Google: Images do accrue PageRank

Something that's been bandied back and forth for about as long as I can remember since Google first came on the scene is the question "Do images get PageRank?" There have been arguments pro and con, none really conclusive, and as far as I know, no official yea or nay from the folks at G. So, forgive me if this is old news to most folks, but it's the first definitive bit I've seen or heard from Google.

During this mornings webmaster central chat Maile Ohye gave a presentation on how best to use and optimize images. One example she spoke about impeding image search was a series of images embedded in a Flash slide show. Her suggestion was to also include the individual images as well as the Flash slide show on the page.

The one drawback she mentioned was the possible split of PageRank. To paraphrase: "It's possible that one webmaster will link to one of the static images and another webmaster will link to the slide show, thus splitting/diluting the image's PageRank."

Again, if you've heard it before you're ahead of the game; if not, it's confirmation of what many folks suspected.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #2
rainborick

rainborick is just really nicerainborick is just really nicerainborick is just really nicerainborick is just really nicerainborick is just really nice
Re: Google: Images do accrue PageRank

I don't think this means image files accumulate PageRank. The quote is a bit vague, but I suspect that she was only trying to convey the idea that if some sites were linking to the image file (which Google does not index) and other sites were linking to the Flash file (which Google does index), then the result would be that the Flash file would receive less PageRank than it would if all of the links pointed to it, and not necessarily that the image file would also receive some PageRank.
rainborick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #3
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Possible, not the way I heard it, but possible. This was on the audio only side so as folks get the audio posted I'll listen to it again.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #4
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of

very interesting.
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote