Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Marketing
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2008   #1
CaliforniaGirl

CaliforniaGirl is on a distinguished road
If you had a wish list and $3 million dollars

Any ideas?

I have recently been approached to answer the following question which I am finding quite difficult.

In terms of SEO, if a $500,000 budget was increased to $3 million what and how would you spend the money (more resources, more development etc)? Further to that how can I quantify it? Set expectations? For instance, what can the client expect to gain with an increase in spend?

I'm to come up with a wish list of sorts that is followed by what gains will be had with a $3 millon budget.

I know, I hear you - can't really guarantee things like this but what if???

Any and all ideas will be taken gratefully.

CaliGirl
CaliforniaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: If you had a wish list and $3 million dollars

well if you have analytics and measure I would put the money to max buy all ppc I could that converts
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #3
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Yeah, for strictly SEO $500K is a bunch, $3,000K astronomical. Branding campaigns, PPC, viral stuff. Heck, even a bit of offline marketing.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #4
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of

Having that much money to spend on SEO would likely greatly increase the chances of doing something wrong or over-optimizing. Along the lines of what Frank and Jim said, find other ways to support the website. Shoot spend a million dollars on a short superbowl ad asking people to link to your site.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #5
CaliforniaGirl

CaliforniaGirl is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that. Yes, 3mil is a lot I know. The client is large though with over 100 sites and this is sort of hypothetical. My biggest problem is trying to quantify wins in lieu of spend - on paper.

CaliforniaGirl
CaliforniaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #6
pittfall
SEOpittfall

pittfall is on a distinguished road

Without knowing what is being developed for the $500K, I will make some assumptions.

Engage their targeted users in the online social sphere.
User Generated Content
Viral or Growth models for link development
pittfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008   #7
JeremyWeb[b]
Jeremy Web[b]

JeremyWeb[b] is on a distinguished road

That's a great question and got me thinking!

Basically with me, every pound (read dollar in the US!) is a prisoner. For any budget each pound has to show a return, and contemporary digital marketing means that you can pretty much quantify that return.

So I'd do what I always do and try to track ROI on every aspect of the campaign. I think a huge budget allows you the luxury of using some marketing techniques that otherwise you could not access, but otherwise it's the same process... Research > Create > Promote > Perfect...

Jeremy.
JeremyWeb[b] is offline   Reply With Quote