Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2004   #1
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
RSS feeds as a SEM tool

I recently started a blog for business and internet news and comment - but I'm afraid I'm very inexperienced with RSS.

I am aware that RSS feeds can be used for SEM purposes - for example, I believe there are sites and directories where you can submit your RSS to be picked up (including somewhere in Yahoo!).

I'm also under the impression that there are other ways to get your blog content syndicated.

However, RSS is a new area for myself - any helpful comments on using RSS feeds from blogs in particular, would be much appreciated.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #2
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
I recently had the pleasure of talking to Sharon Hously of Notepage Inc who have put out a free beta of their new product Feed for all

It looks like a fine tool, especially in the context of your post Brian.

Also, check out this excellent thread over at HighRankings RSS 101

RSS/XML/SEO = a match made in heavan in my book ;-)

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I, Brian, what blog software are you using? It might be built in.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #4
I, Brian

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
I'm using Moveable Type 3 (I think!). If it actually contacts other sites then I probably disabled it.

Ironic to be referred to Sharon Housley - I already have some of her articles on Platinax for constructing RSS feeds. I'll have to read up now on what to actually do with them, once gotten.

If it's not a completely dumb question, is there a direct link for submission of RSS feeds to Yahoo?

EDIT: A couple pf resources from the Highrankings thread:

RSS resources at Cre8asite
How to get your website syndicated (article)

A couple of Sharon's resources:

Small Business Blog - www.small-business-software.net/blog-feed.xml
Software Marketing - www.softwaremarketingresource.com/blog-feed.xml

Last edited by I, Brian : 10-13-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-13-2004   #5
Jeff Martin

Jeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian
I am aware that RSS feeds can be used for SEM purposes - for example, I believe there are sites and directories where you can submit your RSS to be picked up (including somewhere in Yahoo!).
If you have a Y! account you can sign in and go to my.yahoo.com and I believe at the bottom you can submit an RSS feed for inclusion on your 'My' page. This also has the advantaged of letting Y! know about the feed and allows them to add it it to their sources.

Heres a good link about it:
http://www.globalprblogweek.com/arch...og_posting.php
Old 10-13-2004   #6
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian
I'm using Moveable Type 3 (I think!).
RSS option is probably on, what is the URL of your blog, I will try to give you the URL of your RSS feeds.
Old 10-13-2004   #7
I, Brian

Here you go:
http://www.platinax.co.uk/news/

It's got a XML feed - I figure there's a difference to RSS, though.

Heh, and spot who here spends too much time developing static sites than dynamic ones.
Old 10-13-2004   #8
rustybrick

Here you go, http://www.platinax.co.uk/news/index.xml or http://www.platinax.co.uk/news/index.rdf
Old 10-13-2004   #9
The Generator

The Generator will become famous soon enough
Yahoo

Hi I, Brian,

There are actually two ways to get listed onto Yahoo:

- the first consists of sending individual XML feeds to a dropbox. However, it's probably difficult to get Yahoo to set up an FTP account if you're not a major player in the news industry... think Bloomberg and Reuters.

- I've also heard that Moreover has begun aggregating news on such sites as MSN, Yahoo, and Ask. Go to Moreover.com, submit your rss feed, and try to start a dialogue with a Moreover editor: be persistant but polite, because Moreover will definitely pay off.
The Generator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004   #10
I, Brian

Thanks for the comments, folks - much appreciated.

Ask about mass link building and forums and I'm in my own territory - but blogs as a marketing tool in themselves is new territory. I'll get down to exploring this whole area much better now, thanks to your help.
Old 10-15-2004   #11
Tom Parish

Promoting your RSS Feed (or your Blog or weblog)

I recently found a source of information on this topic that needs to be passed along to others.

The author is Robin Good

He has spent hours researching the best blog directories and RSS submission sites.

http://www.masternewmedia.org/2004/0..._directory.htm

In addition, he is wealth of information on the topic and very current on the lastest issues.

He is a gold mine of help on where and how to submit your RSS feed to a wide range of sources.

I'm hoping to craft an audio interview with him shortly for more tips on the subject.

Tom
Old 10-15-2004   #12
The Generator

The Generator will become famous soon enough
Good stuff Tom.
The Generator is offline   Reply With Quote