Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2004   #1
DaveAtIFG
Highly experienced lurker

DaveAtIFG will become famous soon enoughDaveAtIFG will become famous soon enough
Nobody's talking about the update! Did I miss the memo?

Call me crazy but it looks as if a major update is in progress. Has been since 9/25 or so.

I search on "single board computer" and "bad credit mortgage" about every 12 hours. Since 9/25, I'm see fresh tags updated and SERPs adjusted with EACH search. I last saw this same behavior between 11/27/03 and 12/12/03. Since then, I've become accustomed to seeing fresh tags updated every few days. And we saw a TBPR update last week. I'm convinced a major update is under way.

Will someone please forward me the memo? I don't want to be talking about forbidden topics!
DaveAtIFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #2
Jeremy_Goodrich

Jeremy_Goodrich will become famous soon enough
nice keyword choices, btw

those are interesting examples. if I didn't know you Dave (this is *that* Dave, isn't it?) I'd say you were begging for some search bloke to stumble across this post...

though, given the keywords above, it's kind of like sifting through a pile of sh!! to find a gem - ain't gonna happen, all you'll find is more & more sh!!

Back to your topic, seems that there was a thread about this some where here...for me, I usually check logs for confirmation of what others say - if there's an update, then I see if my logs correlate this info - if not, then I usually figure they ain't seeing what I'm seeing...and I think my data pool is big enough to be statistically significant (whatever that means).

Anybody else? From waht I can see, the update lasted perhaps 5-7 days before calming down...
Jeremy_Goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #3
DaveAtIFG
Highly experienced lurker

DaveAtIFG will become famous soon enoughDaveAtIFG will become famous soon enough
<off topic>
Quote:
this is *that* Dave, isn't it?
Hey Jeremy, if I mentioned shaking your hand in Orlando last spring, shooting, or cancer, would you be convinced it was really "that Dave?"
</off topic>

Those key phrases are simply ones I follow daily, for a close look at the trees. To see the forest, I monitor the site logs. (Mine is a small and very diverse forest. )

Guess I was premature suggesting an update, but these daily "freshness tag shuffles" continue. Google's up to something... and I appreciate your comments!
DaveAtIFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #4
Jeremy_Goodrich

Jeremy_Goodrich will become famous soon enough
Enough pagerank, and it'll get a fresh tag - or enough new inbound links - same deal. Or enough regularly added outbound links on a page - you'll get the fresh tag as well.

Those words are good examples of quality SEO, imho, so worth keeping tabs on. From what I can see in my reports, there hasn't been an update since the end of September...my best guess is that we'll see something new soon in the next week / two weeks.

Though considering the whole temporal analysis bit posted by Orion recently - consider that Word Burst idea from Kleinberg, and how a search engine could use that data to key refinfement of the search results. Would make for interesting SERP differentials based on surfer interest, don't you think?

Something like that is at play currently, imho...
Jeremy_Goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #5
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Someone needs to make us our own search engine around here to play with. Wouldn't that be fun?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote