Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2004   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Jeremy Zawodny Moves Back to the Yahoo! Search Team

Jeremy Zawodny, famous Yahoo! employee blogger, announced today in his blog entry named New Job (Again) "Well, believe it or not, I'm going back to the Search Team."

In his footnote he explains his job as [1] Technically I'm working with the whole Search and Marketplace business unit, but that's org chart trivia to most people reading this.

I am very, very interested in how Yahoo! Search will be utilizing RSS Technology to improve the Yahoo! Search platform. Future thinking stuff, and Jeremy, IMO, is the right technical guy to lead the way.

Congrats Jeremy!
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #2
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the news Barry!

I wonder how blogs will be taken into account in the SERPs for future search technologies in Yahoo!??? Blogs do provide a very amplified voice to what's current and THAT is very important when searching for anything informative related.

The biggest challanges that Y! will most likely find is to be allowed to refresh their index faster, but RSS feeds will help big time with that and playing the role of "cookie cutter" to all the remaining code + stuff that is not really necessary.

I'm kind of seeing a crystal ball for a second, yup . . . I do see it happening some time in our search future.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #3
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Certainly interesting stuff - though I'll have to lean to be more careful posting comments late at night.

I'm much too used to forums, where I can go back and edit words or phrases where I haven't felt I was particularly clear. Someone introduce comment editing for user to blogs, please!
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #4
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
I'm not a heavy blog user, but I do see a big difference between how forums and blogs work.

Blogs are not supposed to be like forums, their intent is to focus on critique of a current event, news, topic, whatever and get feedback from other people on the same subject either reinforcing the blog posted or also a critique to the actual post. A web blog is like a diary of thoughts.

Forums on the other hand are convesation based on a starting topic that does not have to be related to a current event, news, etc..... They are a more efficient form of the old chat rooms back in 1995 or so. Yes editing posts and using many other forum features is part of what makes it different than a blog. A forum is not a diary of thoughts, they are spontaneous conversations within the forums topic (ie. here its search).

Does this make sense, or am I too tired as well??
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #5
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Nacho, I agree to some extent. Although I would remove the word "spontaneous" from your description of a forum conversation. I might just shoot off and respond in a spontaneous manner, but many people do not do so. They type, edit, preview, edit, and then submit the post.

Anyway, I run a blog and for me it is more of a place to store my notes. I try to write in a style that is less personal then a typical blog, because I know some people read it. But there is a lot less communication and discussion in a blog then in a forum.

Back to the topic of RSS. Blogs just fall right into a structured format, such as RSS. Structured data, as many of you know, can increase the efficiencies of the inner workings of search. When it comes to normal Web search, the search engine's job is to plow through large sets of unstructured data (i.e. html). Search engines use clues from the html tags, kind of converting the html into a form of structured data. Unfortunately, not everyone follows standards and there is only so much a search engine can do to look at the on-page criteria. With structured data, who knows the possibilities.

It just worries me, the abuse of meta information (i.e. form structured data) by Webmasters/SEOs lead to the dismissal of meta information as an important criteria in search placement. Will the same happen for RSS? As you see more and more sites provide RSS links for their readers, more of the unstructured Web will become structured.

Now, do I hear cloaked RSS feeds?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote