Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2008   #1
YahooPete

YahooPete is a jewel in the roughYahooPete is a jewel in the roughYahooPete is a jewel in the roughYahooPete is a jewel in the rough
Yahoo! Launches Sign-in Seal to fight Password Theft

Hi there,

We’re launching the Sign-in Seal feature on the Log-in page of your account to help fight password theft and phishing scams.

A Sign-in seal is a secret message or photo that Yahoo! will display on one computer only. You have the option to create a custom seal or text for signing into Yahoo! Search Marketing. The seal is there to tell you that you're seeing a genuine Yahoo! site, not a phishing site. If the seal is not there, it could be a fraudulent page created by a phisher to hijack your account.

The seal is cookie-based and linked to one computer (not your Yahoo! ID); so you need one for each computer you use. This is available in the US market only.

For more details read our Yahoo! Search Marketing blog post: http://www.ysmblog.com/blog/2008/02/07/sign-in-seal/

Thanks for your feedback!

My best,
YahooPete
YahooPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Yahoo! Launches Sign-in Seal to fight Password Theft

Interesting concept but then you have a cookie that will track all activity of that computer if you wanted
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #3
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

I agree, Aussie.

Also, after setting up my sign-in seal on YSM yesterday, I had to reset my password FOUR TIMES before I could log in to my account. What a waste of time. Might have been a fluke, but I couldn't help but figure it was related to the sign-in seal.
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #4
MSI

MSI is on a distinguished road

And why does it have to be computer specific? I have these types of things at several financial intsitutions I do business with and NOT ONE of them is computer specific. That does make it sound like they are going to track all activity on each computer you sign up.

Plus If I have bookmarked the right page why do I have to worry about a Phishing page coming up? You made that darn dialog box pop up every time I clean my cookies that drove me crazy for so long, are you saying phishers can hijack your specific login page?????

If I didn't have to keep checking my old accounts for refunds I wouldn't even be going back to Yahoo anymore. I blieve this is just another layer of tracking Yahoo can make money on.....why don't you send a little of that money your making selling the tracking info back to those of us you are making it off of??
MSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #5
chuck Miser
Undetermined

chuck Miser is on a distinguished road

I am so happy about this that i peed down my leg!

the new seal works so well, even I can't get into my account!

Search Yahoo client services on yahoo and you get nothing THAT WILL GET YOU TO A HUMAN. when i figure out where the credit card is billing to I will then go in and cancell the GD thing.
chuck Miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #6
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck Miser View Post
The new seal works so well, even I can't get into my account!
LOL, that was my exact thought as I wasted 30 minutes last week trying to log in after setting up my seal.
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #7
chuck Miser
Undetermined

chuck Miser is on a distinguished road

I can't get in and i have no idea how much I am spending. I really hope that I set it at low numbers the pain is I set the account up 2 years ago and i just went into it last week and started using them again, as I move away from G which wants to charge me $5 a click for my site name?
chuck Miser is offline   Reply With Quote