Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
AdWords Content Network - The Wish List

I know this forum has been very vocal in the past as regards features we'd like to see in the Content Network. How, AWR has promised to get our features list in front of the right folks at Google. So, I'll start with my pet feature to get us started.

When you reply, please just copy the list below and add your item. Thanks.

ADWORDS CONTENT NETWORK - THE WISH LIST

1) Segmentation.
Independent reporting and control of the major Content Network segments: blogs, parked domains, error pages, email, regular websites, etc. So we can see and control what works.

Last edited by abbottsys : 02-04-2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typo
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #2
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Re: AdWords Content Network - The Wish List

2. More data in the placement performance report. Don't lump Error and Domain pages together - show me which sites sent what and how it converted. Don't make me throw the baby out with the bathwater - often there will be one bad site in each category that throws off results for the whole bunch. Let me exclude that site and let the others be. It's a win-win - advertisers get rid of the garbage, and the rest of the sites in the content network get to keep my ads instead of being labeled guilty by association.
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #3
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Please add. Just copy the latest list (below) into your post and add your comment.

1) Segmentation.
Independent reporting and control of the major Content Network segments: blogs, parked domains, error pages, email, regular websites, etc. So we can see and control what works.

2) More data in the placement performance report. Don't lump Error and Domain pages together - show me which sites sent what and how it converted. Don't make me throw the baby out with the bathwater - often there will be one bad site in each category that throws off results for the whole bunch. Let me exclude that site and let the others be. It's a win-win - advertisers get rid of the garbage, and the rest of the sites in the content network get to keep my ads instead of being labeled guilty by association.
Old 02-05-2008   #4
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Please add. Just copy the latest list (below) into your post, then add your comment and sign it!

1) Segmentation.
Independent reporting and control of the major Content Network segments: blogs, parked domains, error pages, email, regular websites, etc. So we can see and control what works. -abbottsys

2) More data in the placement performance report. Don't lump Error and Domain pages together - show me which sites sent what and how it converted. Don't make me throw the baby out with the bathwater - often there will be one bad site in each category that throws off results for the whole bunch. Let me exclude that site and let the others be. It's a win-win - advertisers get rid of the garbage, and the rest of the sites in the content network get to keep my ads instead of being labeled guilty by association. -mel66

3) More public awareness and visibility for the Content Network as a separate product entity. Add a "Content Network" search item to the google.com search types (Web, Images, Maps, News, Shopping, Gmail, more..) which limits search to the Content Network only and shows organics and ads from the content network. -abbottsys
Old 02-05-2008   #5
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

This is great - thanks for starting this new thread, abbottsys.

I think the format is perfect - very easy to copy/paste into the report.

What's more the format kind of calls for being succinct - which is quite important as far as the report goes. For reference, if I were to print a typical report it would be roughly 15 pages long. It's a lot to read, so, in a way, the more succinct the quotes are, the more thoroughly read (and thus more powerful) they will be.

Also - I think we may want to consider other such threads in the future, on other topics as well.

I think this is too cool. Thanks again to all.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #6
JBrown

JBrown is on a distinguished road

Hopefully my first post won't confuse things, but is this thread just for Content targeting or should we list Placement targeting recommendations as well?
JBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #7
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Hopefully my first post won't confuse things, but is this thread just for Content targeting or should we list Placement targeting recommendations as well?
Sure, please add, but keep things succinct. Just copy the latest Wish List (below) into your post, then add your contribution and sign it. This wish list is being used by AWR to inform the appropriate google staff.
Old 02-06-2008   #8
JBrown

JBrown is on a distinguished road

Please add. Just copy the latest list (below) into your post, then add your comment and sign it!

1) Segmentation.
Independent reporting and control of the major Content Network segments: blogs, parked domains, error pages, email, regular websites, etc. So we can see and control what works. -abbottsys

2) More data in the placement performance report. Don't lump Error and Domain pages together - show me which sites sent what and how it converted. Don't make me throw the baby out with the bathwater - often there will be one bad site in each category that throws off results for the whole bunch. Let me exclude that site and let the others be. It's a win-win - advertisers get rid of the garbage, and the rest of the sites in the content network get to keep my ads instead of being labeled guilty by association. -mel66

3) More public awareness and visibility for the Content Network as a separate product entity. Add a "Content Network" search item to the google.com search types (Web, Images, Maps, News, Shopping, Gmail, more..) which limits search to the Content Network only and shows organics and ads from the content network. -abbottsys

4) With placement targeting, allow advertisers to target particular pages. Also, allow advertisers to target more publishers. I've run across many sites with Adsense ads that are not available for placement targeting. -JBrown
JBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #9
SearchEnginePPC
PPC Consultant

SearchEnginePPC has a spectacular aura aboutSearchEnginePPC has a spectacular aura aboutSearchEnginePPC has a spectacular aura about

1) Segmentation.

4) With placement targeting, allow advertisers to target particular pages. Also, allow advertisers to target more publishers. I've run across many sites with Adsense ads that are not available for placement targeting. -JBrown

5) The ability to edit individual placement details (bids, URLs) via the checkmark system used for editing keyword bids in the AdWords system (not Editor). -SearchEnginePPC

6) More publicity of the Categories behind the placements and content groupings, in order to enable better keyword research. -SearchEnginePPC

7) Ability to use negative keywords on a placement campaign in order to exclude traffic from certain types of pages within the larger domain. -SearchEnginePPC

Oh, and I'll second #2 & #4. Both are ery, very important to my clients!
SearchEnginePPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #10
AdWordsRep

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

Many thanks to everyone for their posts in this thread.

I'll be passing the link to this thread on tonight to a select group of folks who are particularly involved in the content network - and then on Thursday of next week I'll quote you, verbatim, to the much wider audience who read the Advertiser Feedback Report.

So, there's plenty of time for additional comments - and I hope to see this thread at the top of the page from time to time.

(Sad to say the Advertiser Feedback Report did not go out this week, for the first time in practically forever - due to my working from home at about 50% capacity due to illness.)

Thanks again!

AWR
Old 02-12-2008   #11
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

1) Segmentation.

5) The ability to edit individual placement details (bids, URLs) via the checkmark system used for editing keyword bids in the AdWords system (not Editor). -SearchEnginePPC

6) More publicity of the Categories behind the placements and content groupings, in order to enable better keyword research. -SearchEnginePPC

7) Ability to use negative keywords on a placement campaign in order to exclude traffic from certain types of pages within the larger domain. -SearchEnginePPC

8) With millions of sites to exclude bulk exclusion filters are necessary. Allow advertisers to block by TLD, Language, Domain ads - Discovery

9) Create a community for all verticals. Sharing of data with permission of all in the group can be a powerful resource. - Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #12
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

1) Segmentation.

8) With millions of sites to exclude bulk exclusion filters are necessary. Allow advertisers to block by TLD, Language, Domain ads - Discovery

9) Create a community for all verticals. Sharing of data with permission of all in the group can be a powerful resource. - Discovery

10) More visibility. #9 is a great point, and goes along with my #3 point for more product awareness of the entire Content Network. Notice that #3 proposes a major new *Google Search* function that exposes the Content Network. - abbottsys
Old 02-13-2008   #13
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

1) Segmentation.

10) More visibility. #9 is a great point, and goes along with my #3 point for more product awareness of the entire Content Network. Notice that #3 proposes a major new *Google Search* function that exposes the Content Network. - abbottsys

11) More insight into the ad/content matching algorithm. Some of my tests show that this can be problematic. For example, I used the same exact content on a regular website, and then on a (Blogger) blog. Both carried AdSense. The regular website got terrific, relevent ads. The blog never did, and is still running totally irrelevent generic ads. This ad delivery failure represents a waste of valuable inventory. - abbottsys

Last edited by abbottsys : 02-13-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2008   #14
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Category Exclusion Launch

From Google 2/13/2008

Quote:
A key way to control and optimize content campaigns is to exclude sites that are not performing well. With the upcoming launch of Category Exclusion, you'll be able to exclude 12 different topics and page types from content and placement targeted campaigns. For example, if you've found that a campaign doesn't convert on social networking sites, you can exclude the entire category rather than excluding individual sites one by one.
Wow, when I speak Google listens!

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #15
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Re: Category Exclusion Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
From Google 2/13/2008

Wow, when I speak Google listens!
Discovery
Congrats! This is your point#8 on our list! Can it be that Google has begun work on our Wish List already? AWR did promise to send the List to select members of the Content Team.
Hey, let's add more stuff
Old 02-14-2008   #16
AdWordsRep

Quote:
Congrats! This is your point#8 on our list! Can it be that Google has begun work on our Wish List already?
Heheh! Yes!

OK, well, really, these things do take a tiny bit longer than that, to be really honest about it.

Quote:
AWR did promise to send the List to select members of the Content Team.
Yep, it was seen by about 50 or so people last week, and I'm copy pasting it into the Advertiser Feedback report right now - so a heck of a lot more folks at Google will see it. Many thanks to you all for your additions.

Quote:
Hey, let's add more stuff
Good idea! I'll check back before I hit the send button, probably around 10:00 pm - and add any late breaking ideas.

Thanks again everybody!

AWR
Old 02-14-2008   #17
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep View Post
......I'll check back before I hit the send button, probably around 10:00 pm - and add any late breaking ideas. Thanks again everybody! AWR
No new ideas to add (tonight). I'm assuming the current list will keep the Google engineers busy for a few days
Old 02-15-2008   #18
AdWordsRep

Quote:
No new ideas to add (tonight). I'm assuming the current list will keep the Google engineers busy for a few days
Sounds good. Looking forward to a few more next week. I thought this thread was great.

Many thanks.

AWA
Old 02-17-2008   #19
Nifty Stats
Google is mine

Nifty Stats is on a distinguished road

congrats
Nifty Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #20
AdWordsRep

It looks as if there is nothing new this week to to add into the Advertiser Feedback Report - but I'll keep my fingers crossed for next week.

Or, if you have anything to add in the next, oh, say, five hours - that'd work too.

I hope to see this thread back at the top of the page in the future.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A quick question: are there any other topics for which you all would like to see similar wish-list threads?

If so, I invite you to start those threads. I do love to put verbatim feedback from advertisers in front of the right folks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

AWR