Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008   #1
jas1n2007

jas1n2007 is on a distinguished road
Smile does average time on site also effect SEPR?

lot of people said that traffic effect the SEPR.
beside the number of visitor, does average time on site also effect SEPR?

and what other factor that effect SEPR?

Thanks before..
jas1n2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: does average time on site also effect SEPR?

SEPR = search engine page rank?

traffic has no impact per se but if it is coming from many places linking to it then the link is the juice
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #3
lovekissing
Thomas Wylde

lovekissing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas1n2007 View Post
lot of people said that traffic effect the SEPR.
beside the number of visitor, does average time on site also effect SEPR?

and what other factor that effect SEPR?

Thanks before..
i've read that traffic does affect your ranking SOMEHOW, it's base on how long does your visitors stay in your site but don't bother much on this because it's not the main factor of your site's SERP its how you link build...
lovekissing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #4
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

I think what youve heard about is "user data", "clickstream data", "usage data" (any other expressions?:-)).

If search engines can collect data about what visitors do on your website they can use that as feedback and implement it into their algorithm in order to rank sites more effectively. Just the way they use links or on-page factors.

However, I think at the moment that doesn't have much significance, yet. Might become very important in the future, though, but then again we can't really tell, yet.

So time-on-site might be a factor search engines could consider in the future. Probably doesn't play a big role, yet, though.
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #5
billse
SEO Junkie / Greenlane SEO

billse is on a distinguished road

I've heard the discussion, but haven't seen any hard results that time on a site does effect natural rankings (I guess the only way Google would know that data anyway is based on some kind of data from an installed Google product, or data bought from ISPs ala Hitwise).

I think if this WERE true, it would be something spammers would manipulate with scripts and bots.
billse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #6
Jazajay

Jazajay has disabled reputation

Quote:
I think if this WERE true, it would be something spammers would manipulate with scripts and bots.
I can think of at least 8 ways of the top of my head and I'm not a spammer nor am I being creative. A lot easier to spam then manipluating Links a lot, lot easier.

The best thing though is the site visitor wouldn't even notice and you could easier use them to trick google into thinking they are requesting 5, 10, 15 hell 100 times the amount of pages on every 1 page view.

That is just 1 theory that I have come up with in 2 mins. Now you just have to be creative with it.

Another is you could load up a second window on a click of the link and use blur to send it to the back of the viewing browser window, known as a pop-under, so the site visitor doesn't see it untill the end of the session. As it was activated by the user clicking a link it wouldn't set off a pop-up blocker.

I could probably squese another 4 out of the first theroy though if I really thought about it.

Then you just have to come up with another 1 and another 1 and just keep thinking out of the box and you have just got a million people, in the SE's eyes, hitting your site all at once.

I'm not even including auomated scripts that you could set off from a serious of networked sites to give constant pages views and infinate page sessions.

If you where going to be cheeky you could as well just return a blank page for those automated scripts so as not to eat up bandwidth on a shared server and eat into CPU times on your own.

Maybe I should fold and become a spammer, hum.....

Jaza

Last edited by Jazajay : 02-16-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Jazajay is offline   Reply With Quote