Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
AdWords: How to write a really bad Ad, fast

WARNING: This post contains humor

Anybody can write a bad AdWords ad, but to write a professionally bad ad, and to do it fast, takes experience.

Since many clients seem intent on doing this I've developed a simple process that delivers the worst ad in the shortest possible time.

First, pick a keyword that's important to your business, then follow these 3 easy steps:

1) Pick a landing page on your website and make sure the content of the page does not contain the keyword.

2) While you're getting your landing page ready also make sure the TITLE TAG does not contain the keyword.

3) Now write the ad. This is the easy part. Write anything you want, just make sure the headline does not contain the keyword.

Bingo! You're done. Run the ad on your chosen keyword, with your chosen landing page. It may take up to 24 hours before Google's Quality Score checkers really appreciate your skills, but when they do they will reward you with a terrific minBid. To measure your success look for a minBid of $10 or higher and a disabled keyword.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: AdWords: How to write a really bad Ad, fast

Some times it can even have the keyword dynamically inserted and still get a $10 minbid - they are getting tough
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #3
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
Some times it can even have the keyword dynamically inserted and still get a $10 minbid - they are getting tough
Funny you should mention DKI. It's been around for ages, but I'm beginning to suspect Google is losing patience with it. First, it's just to easy, and encourages folks not to write a strong custom headline. And second, it can produce tons of boring look-alike ads that dilute the SRP for all players. As you know, I'm a big fan of the custom written headline
Old 02-04-2008   #4
Ryan L

Ryan L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsys View Post
Funny you should mention DKI. It's been around for ages, but I'm beginning to suspect Google is losing patience with it. First, it's just to easy, and encourages folks not to write a strong custom headline. And second, it can produce tons of boring look-alike ads that dilute the SRP for all players. As you know, I'm a big fan of the custom written headline
Without DKI the ROI/Time investment on my longtail keywords would be ineffective.
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #5
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

Quote:
[...] As you know, I'm a big fan of the custom written headline
Just so long as it's also used in the second and third lines of the ad, right? Heheh.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #6
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep View Post
Just so long as it's also used in the second and third lines of the ad, right? Heheh.

AWR
LOL! Right on. I put it into production. It's going like gangbusters