Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2004   #1
villager

villager is on a distinguished road
Question Sites gets 10's thousands of links in a few weeks

A website that I know in a space a week or two rocketed up in google and when I checked their site, after he gave me a heads up, I noticed he changed over the database pages that matched a competitor of ours. Not only that, but that competitor has what looks 10s of thousands and now the new site is also getting the same amount. I know only one person works for that site. I doubt if he manually got all those links. How in world does anyone get than many links in a few weeks?
villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004   #2
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
hi villager
welcome to the forums
lots of ways really.
you can get over 10,000 links from a single site if they had a big site and added sitewide links to your site.
viral marketing is another.
another way would be programming your own automated link networks.
you can get ahold of a link broker
you can run ads on the jupitermedia network of sites.
etc
Old 10-11-2004   #3
villager

villager is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
hi villager
welcome to the forums
lots of ways really.
you can get over 10,000 links from a single site if they had a big site and added sitewide links to your site.
viral marketing is another.
another way would be programming your own automated link networks.
you can get ahold of a link broker
you can run ads on the jupitermedia network of sites.
etc
I thought about this. But most of the links are in what you can call links farms and are external. A great many are dynamic pages. I got 73 links in google and he has 25000. (From MarketLeap.com)
villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004   #4
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Hello Villager,

Welcome to SearchEngineWatch Forums! Perhaps you can tell us a little more about which websites. As long as this is a legitimate case, we will allow links to illustrate your post and most likely receive better answers from other members.

Our forums are filled with helpful threads related to your topic. Here are 3 just to name a few:

10,000 Links or 100 Links...
How Fair is the Link Popularity Algorithm?
Filthy Linking Rich

Good luck to you!
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004   #5
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Getting lots of links is pretty easy - feed-driven shopping catalogues, dynamic directories and forums, sitewide sponsorship of sites, plus custom-link building projects, can effectively offer you as many links as you can budget for.

The issue isn't simply one of number, though - it's also of value. Not all links are created equally. And when it comes to link building, that is a very real concern.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004   #6
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
villager, I would call 650-623-4000 and ask for Larry. They will try and not put you through at first but if you tell them your URL and how much better it is than the other site I'm sure they will see sense.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004   #7
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFFC
villager, I would call 650-623-4000 and ask for Larry. They will try and not put you through at first but if you tell them your URL and how much better it is than the other site I'm sure they will see sense.
extension 1394...
Old 10-11-2004   #8
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
ROTFLMFAO NFFC!

Man, must we really encourage links that point out artificially generated link pop? - What if that was my website?

Most of the links appear to come from inside the site, looks like they just have a big dynamic setup to target different kw variations.. very sensible IMO

Nick

Last edited by Nick W : 10-11-2004 at 07:12 PM.
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004   #9
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W
What if that was my website?
then you got some good link pop. perhaps you should put your # in the thread in case Larry is not around.
Old 10-12-2004   #10
sebastian
Deep in the trenches

sebastian is just really nicesebastian is just really nicesebastian is just really nicesebastian is just really nice
Quote:
...i don't get it.

sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004   #11
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Larry Page - that's prolly the real google phone number... if not, dont matter..

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004   #12
littleman

littleman is a glorious beacon of lightlittleman is a glorious beacon of lightlittleman is a glorious beacon of lightlittleman is a glorious beacon of lightlittleman is a glorious beacon of lightlittleman is a glorious beacon of light
Nothing sapps the life out of a board faster than an 'I'm telling' fest.
littleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004   #13
respree

respree is on a distinguished road
It depends on what type of site you have. On an E-commerce site, it's not too hard.

One Froogle feed containing 100,000 products will get you 100,000 incoming links.

If you open a store at Amazon zShops, 40,000 products each with one link to your site, will get you 40,000 links -- all for the price of $40/month.
respree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #14
sugarrae
I Should Be Working

sugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura about
Posting a URL of a competitor is plain wrong in my opinion, as is being allowed to post it. I agree with littleman's statement.
sugarrae is offline   Reply With Quote