Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2008   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
AdWords 101 Writing Creatives

Okay I wrote an article about writing creatives for anyone needing some help.

Give it a read and let me know what you think... and add any other tips here.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #2
chris1
Low-gravity fun for everyone!

chris1 is on a distinguished road
Re: AdWords 101 Writing Creatives

Great article!

You can't stress enough to focus on conversions and test, test, test!

Some other tips...

- Using capitalization on each word always works best for me

- An exclamation point can help if used properly!

- "{KeyWord: Default Ad Title}" can be a great title

- So can titles like "Save on {KeyWords:Products}" and "Expert {Keyword:Service}"

- Experimenting with similar/identical ad elements that your competition is using can be very telling

- Using keywords in the domain url can help. For example: www.domain/keyword or keyword.domain.com (I don't like to use DKWI here because multiple word keywords don't look right with the '+')

- If selling a product, test putting the actual price in the ad vs. evidence that you are selling something ("save", "buy", etc.) vs. no mention of price or sale. Most times the CTR will be worst with price and best w/ no mention... but conversion rate will be the inverse. Calculate the most profitable and go with that.

- Last, (but not at all least) highlight what sets your site's offerings apart from the rest.
chris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #3
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Good points Chris.... keep them coming
Old 01-25-2008   #4
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

If your display URL is more than one word, use initial caps. For example, www dot GreatStore dot com instead of www dot greatstore dot com. Seems to help with CTR in my experience
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #5
PPC Summit
www.PPCsummit.com

PPC Summit is on a distinguished road

Hey Mel,

Good point and I'd actually take that a step further. We've found that GreatStore dot com typically works even better than www dot GreatStore dot com. You've got to test it of course as branding plays into that a lot.

Oh, and great article Frank. I'd say keyword selection and writing creative are the two biggest areas for mistakes in PPC Campaigns, so a little education can't hurt!

Cheers, Mary

PPCSummit dot com
PPC Summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #6
AussieWebmaster

Thanks Mary... I want people to learn how to really work PPC so that the industry grows and gains the rightful market share of advertising.
Mentions of dotcom bubbles are a little premature... we work in an industry that has no where reached a peak
Old 01-28-2008   #7
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

One of the biggest mistakes I see with folks who are new to AdWords (and also with some who are not so new!!) is a failure to understand the connection between ad and landing page.

As a start, I ask 3 simple questions:

1) Is your keyword in the landing page content?
2) Is your keyword in the landing page TITLE TAG?
3) Is your keyword in the ad headline?

Last edited by abbottsys : 01-28-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typo
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #8
AussieWebmaster

yes those are good tips mate....