Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008   #1
seopadawan

seopadawan is on a distinguished road
Build out existing site or start new ones?

I have a long established domain name and would like to explore targeting some niche markets, doing some keyword research and then creating some optimized pages to (hopefully) rank well for those keywords. Does it make more sense to build out my existing site and create new "sections", or to register a related domain name and create the optimized content under that domain name?i.e. if I already own widgets.com, and am looking to target the furry widget market, register myfurrywidgets.com and upload optimized content there and link to my main site? Or is the best solution to register a completely different brand altogether targeted to this niche market? Thanks in advance for any advice.
seopadawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #2
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of
Re: Build out existing site or start new ones?

If the markets are related, then I'd say build out the existing site in order to leverage its strength. If not, then new sites for each niche might be the best bet.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #3
BasicECommerce

BasicECommerce will become famous soon enough

Think of it in terms of 'branding'. Are these niche markets really sub-markets of your overall website/market? Will these niche markets know your brand as being an 'expert' in the field? If so, build out your original.

Or are they extensions of your market - this would require a new name/brand.
BasicECommerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #4
seopadawan

seopadawan is on a distinguished road

Interesting. Yes, they are sub-markets of my overall website and I don't know if we will be recognized as "expert" in the field. My thought was to create kind of a mini-informational sub-site that contains targeted keywords in the hopes of driving some niche-targeted traffic there. So yes they are sub-markets, but I'm still not clear on whether or not it would make more sense to try to create a new brand/identity for them or to try and integrate it with our own brand. Thanks for your input by the way.
seopadawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #5
BasicECommerce

BasicECommerce will become famous soon enough

Since it is a sub-market, you should expand your own site. Although you may not consider yourself 'experts' just yet, adding in-depth detail to your site's subject matter will build your position and allow others to think of you as 'experts'. Whether you truly are experts or not; if people think you are, then you are.
BasicECommerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #6
jhen

jhen is on a distinguished road

Since you already have an existing site and you're thinking about 'branding', then i think there'd be no problem if you'll add or create a subdomain for that specific type of sub-market that you want to target. It's a much easier approach than building a site from a scratch
jhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #7
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Quote:
Yes, they are sub-markets of my overall website and I don't know if we will be recognized as "expert" in the field.
Then taking the opportunity to add related information to the existing site just might boost it up to that "expert" category.

Quote:
My thought was to create kind of a mini-informational sub-site that contains targeted keywords in the hopes of driving some niche-targeted traffic there.
This is where it gets a bit complicated and you would have to be careful. Each of the mini-sites would have to be completely built out with their own substantially different link profiles (back and forward), in order not to look like simple gateway or doorway pages to the SEs. You might be able to do this with a handful of properly aged domains; a group of new domains popping up all pointing to the same site will get some scrutiny from the engines.

And, again, if you're going to point the minis back to info on the main domain, why not put it all there in the first place.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote