Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2008   #1
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Google Webmaster Tools - Quick Start Guide

New to Google Webmaster Tools but have questions, check out Google Webmaster Tools Quick Start Guide at
http://www.google.com/webmasters/edu/quickstartguide/
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Google Webmaster Tools - Quick Start Guide

I recommen this to everyone that is just starting out... have to give it to Google for some great educational information.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #3
bosmolskate

bosmolskate is on a distinguished road

Yes Google is very helpful. I had a question concerning Google's Analytics. I look at the traffic to my site and it is approximately 40 per day. When go to my hosting co to check my stats it says I have 250 visitors a day. Is my hosting co. Volusion trying to dilute the results to make me think their co is doing a good job? This is a huge discrepancy, that is why it bothers me.
bosmolskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #4
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

could the hosting be counting hits...
Old 01-18-2008   #5
bosmolskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
could the hosting be counting hits...
No this is visitors, not hits or page views, which really confuses me. It leads me to believe that the host is trying to make it look like I have more visitors than I really do, unless Google is unreliable in Analytics.
Old 01-18-2008   #6
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosmolskate View Post
Google is unreliable in Analytics.
Google Analytics is proven to be reliable. This could be "other user agents" or how it is configured. Have you checked "bookmarked"? Do you have a podcast and or RSS feed? Do all of your page URLs show page views?
Old 01-18-2008   #7
bosmolskate

What is bookmarked and how do I check bookmarked? I do not have a Podcast or RSS Feed. The pageviews is for the entire site and so is the visits. I trust Google Analytics more than my hosting service
Old 01-18-2008   #8
beu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosmolskate View Post
What is bookmarked and how do I check bookmarked?
In your account go to Dashboard > Traffic Sources > All Traffic Sources then under the tab "site usage" see if "(direct) / (none)" is #1.

If it is, go to Dashboard > Content > Top Exit Pages and be sure all outbound link landing pages from the URLs listed therein contain analytics code. Also be certain they are redirects.

Then go to Dashbord > Top Landing Pages and be sure that every page linking to those URLs contain analytic code and that there are no redirects.

Bottom line, pages without analytics code and/or redirects can cause major issues in any analytics package.
Old 01-21-2008   #9
Kevin Heisler

Kevin Heisler will become famous soon enough

Great resouce -- thanks, Frank, Beu, bosmolskate. Really helpful discussion. Also thanks to Barry Schwartz, SER and SEL for mentioning the SEW Forums resource.
Kevin Heisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #10
AussieWebmaster

Got to really like the Google help stuff... adCenter is trying but not there yet... Yahoo is still lost in the weeds in this area
Old 01-22-2008   #11
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Heisler View Post
Great resouce -- thanks, Frank, Beu, bosmolskate. Really helpful discussion. Also thanks to Barry Schwartz, SER and SEL for mentioning the SEW Forums resource.
Always, why wouldn't I? Excellent find beu!
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #12
AussieWebmaster

Beu knows the Google Help Guides
Old 01-22-2008   #13
beu

Smile Re: Google Webmaster Tools - Quick Start Guide

Coming from you guys I'm really flattered and by the way, thanks for the "hat tip"!