Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Other Search Engines & Directories > Open Directory Project
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2008   #1
InformationSearch
"Information Captured if not disbursed, Leads to Information Loss"

InformationSearch is on a distinguished road
Question DMOZ Directory: Approval Procedure?

Anyone out there, who has the slightest idea on How "DMOZ" goes about approval of the directory submissions for listings?

- I submitted a website a few weeks back to DMOZ directory but I received no update so far. Though at the end of submission, I was informed that I should be receiving an update within 3-4 weeks. I hope, its already close to the 4th week.

Could somebody please help me on this?

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 01-07-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: link drop
InformationSearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #2
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of
Re: DMOZ Directory: Approval Procedure?

As each editor works in different ways there really isn't a set time frame for DMOZ submissions to be considered. If you followed the instructions when preparing your submission and submitted to the most appropriate category, basically the only thing you can do now is sit back and wait.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Is their an editor for the category you submitted to? if no then it could take a real long time. You could apply for the job.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #4
birdie

birdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationSearch View Post
I hope, its already close to the 4th week.
It could be anywhere from minutes to a few years, assuming the site is listable. DMOZ is not a listing service and some editors do not even use the suggested sites when looking for sites to add to a category. After you have submitted once, move on and forget about.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #5
birdie

birdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of light

BTW, if you are asking about the site in your profile, its more likely to be rejected than listed due to insufficient unique content. When I was an editor, I would not have listed it.
Old 01-08-2008   #6
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road

I have some sites at the four year waiting mark. They are good B2B sites and not MFAs or anything.
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #7
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

dmoz is a good listing but hard to get these days
Old 01-24-2008   #8
lxguy

lxguy is on a distinguished road

It's really true that it's hard to be listed in DMOZ these days.
lxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #9
AussieWebmaster

funny you can become an editor quicker!
Old 01-28-2008   #10
InformationSearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
Is their an editor for the category you submitted to? if no then it could take a real long time. You could apply for the job.

Oh...I never knew how togo about locating an editor for a specific category. I 'll try and figure it out today and see, if i get any success at it.

Thanks a ton for the direction.

Old 01-28-2008   #11
InformationSearch

I know....have you also been an editor with the DMOZ?
Old 01-28-2008   #12
InformationSearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sem4u View Post
I have some sites at the four year waiting mark. They are good B2B sites and not MFAs or anything.
On that note, would you have some time to visit my website and rate it on its content and quality on lines of approval?

In case you could, the domain is : htp://www.infodoro.com

Old 01-28-2008   #13
InformationSearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
BTW, if you are asking about the site in your profile, its more likely to be rejected than listed due to insufficient unique content. When I was an editor, I would not have listed it.
I appreciate your candid feedback. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by unique content? The site in my profile, is Infodoro and it is an application based social networking site. Why do you see it being rejected? Also, if you could suggest me a few fixes to ensure, it doesn't get rejected.

I'll appreciate any feedback coming.

Have a wonderful day

Last edited by beu : 01-28-2008 at 02:19 AM. Reason: no need for the link drop
Old 01-28-2008   #14
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Oh...I never knew how togo about locating an editor for a specific category. I 'll try and figure it out today and see, if i get any success at it.

Thanks a ton for the direction.

If you look at the very bottom of the directory page where you are searching there will be a name of who the editor is - or a question asking if you would like to edit this topic..... either way click and you are there - asking the editor or applying for the job.
Old 01-28-2008   #15
birdie

Quote:
I appreciate your candid feedback. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by unique content? The site in my profile, is Infodoro and it is an application based social networking site. Why do you see it being rejected? Also, if you could suggest me a few fixes to ensure, it doesn't get rejected.
Insufficient unique content.
Old 02-01-2008   #16
InformationSearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
Insufficient unique content.
Okay...lemme put it this way?

How do i go about making this Unique content sufficient for approval? We are growing organically right now...and his way, i hope it would take us some time to build upon sufficient content except for any valid quick fixes, if you know of....

Old 02-22-2008   #17
lxguy

lxguy is on a distinguished road

I'm getting impatient about that.I never get any feedback from dmoz.
lxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #18
birdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxguy View Post
I'm getting impatient about that.
If you are unhappy with the service that DMOZ provids, try asking for a refund.
Quote:
I never get any feedback from dmoz.
They do not provide feedback.
Old 02-22-2008   #19
InformationSearch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
If you look at the very bottom of the directory page where you are searching there will be a name of who the editor is - or a question asking if you would like to edit this topic..... either way click and you are there - asking the editor or applying for the job.

I tried your suggestion but it still didnt work.
The Category, I was considering was "Social Networking/Communities" for which there was no Editor. Thats how, I ened up volunteering to be one. However, my application was rejected on the grounds that this is a relatively vast category and they dont hand it out to someone, who is relatively new.

And that I should apply to more restricted and narrow categories or topics.

What else, shall I do to get my site listed? I have not heard anything as yet on being accepted or rejected for the listing. This time, however I re-submitted the website.

The major reason I had to do this, was Alexa not being able to pull up information on my updated website. This 11th of February, we updated the Infodoro website to add the new web application 'Shopping List' and update the existing 'FiveWords' application, to make it more rich and interactive for the users. Unluckily, Alexa seems to be pulling in information only through the Open Directory. That being said, could someone suggest me how to go about getting listed with "DMOZ" and getting my website information, updated at Alexa?

This is an urgent requirement and any pointers, that could help with fixing the problems would be highly appreciated.

Looking forward to responses,

Thanks for your time..........

Last edited by jimbeetle : 02-22-2008 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Removed link drop
Old 02-22-2008   #20
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Quote:
This time, however I re-submitted the website
Wrong move. If the editor working that category happens to work through submissions by date, then you've just sent yours to the end of the queue.

Best advice for working with DMOZ is to:

1) make sure the site meets the criteria
2) carefully prepare your submission
3) submit to the most appropriate category
4) sit back and wait

There is really not much else you can do.

As for Alexa, yes, it does pull its directory results from DMOZ, so until your site is listed there it won't show at Alexa. But that should be so far down your priority list that it can probablybe ignored.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote