Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Search Industry Growth & Trends > Search & Legal Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2008   #1
Kevin Heisler

Kevin Heisler will become famous soon enough
SEO Firm CEO Jailed

The CEO of SEO company Traffic Power is in jail, facing charges in a housing foreclosure scam.

Have you had run-ins or experience with Traffic Power recently or any of the companies they (allegedly) own?
Kevin Heisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #2
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Re: SEO Firm CEO Jailed

This thread should give you some background about the company....

Traffic Power Files Suit Against SEO Book
http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ead.php?t=7539
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

they have been on the wrong side of so many decisions... no doubt we will see some type of jail based site he organizes if he does time... surprised he is not out on bail with all his internet riches

the suit against Aaron just got seobook more links from some high ranked news sites
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #4
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
... no doubt we will see some type of jail based site he organizes if he does time...
bwaaahaha... I can see i now.

bighouse.com: Today's social media for society's incorrigibles. No cams needed, just use mug shots and wanted posters.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #5
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold

I was told a few years ago by one of his relatives that the guy is a scam artists. Glad to see that he has finally been nabbed at something.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #6
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute

I've been involved with TP (ok, fighting with) for a few years now off and on, and I can honestly say that the only thing that surprises me about this is that it took so long.

This guy was hardcore and unrepentant - IMPO he seems to have lived by the idea that "buyer beware" means you can do anything you want to screw buyers, and it's their fault for falling for it, not yours for being a scumbag.

I'm on the "Is It Time For Search Marketing Standards?" panel for SMX West conference in Feb and TP and companies like them are an example of why we need standards, though to be fair it appears from the OP that he wasn't jailed over TP.

Ian
Old 01-03-2008   #7
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

true.... but he had a cavalier attitude towards all his activities
Old 01-04-2008   #8
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Kinda renews my faith in that old saying, "what goes around comes around"!

http://www.trafficpowersucks.com/seobook.htm
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #9
AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea can only hope to improve

There are a lot of "SEO's" that need to be looked at for fraud in this business.
AnthonyCea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #10
Kevin Heisler

thanks for all the great comments on SEO ethics and the background on Traffic Power in the forums (i linked to SEW Forums in my blog post)

Also appreciated Matt Cutts linking to the Search Engine Watch post from his blog (Google, Gadgets, and SEO)
Old 01-10-2008   #11
Kevin Heisler

@ Ian you're right -- charges are completely unrelated to SEO

btw, how was the Sushi restaurant in LA after the Kelsey Conferece we spoke at? Up to your expectations?
Old 01-10-2008   #12
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't make it! I ended up just grabbing a bite to eat at the shopping center across the way because a client phoned and one thing led to another. Some clients think that just because they pay me I should actually, you know, do work or something. It's completely unreasonable but I humor them.

That's ok - now I have an excuse to go back to LA.

Ian
Old 02-03-2008   #13
fspezia

fspezia is on a distinguished road

The stories about the lawsuits and Aaron Wall stepping in to help out a little guy was pretty awesome. I've been impressed with Aaron for a number of years, I am even more impressed now.
fspezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #14
AussieWebmaster

hey if you really know who