Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2008   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Five quick AdWords predictions for 2008 from abbottsys

What will 2008 bring for AdWords? It's always fun guessing, so here are a few random thoughts, more like "gut feelings" from someone who spends a lot of time on AdWords every day, and of course intended as fun...

1) AdWords will make more money in 2008
Google makes about $1 billion/month revenue from AdWords. This will continue to increase in 2008.

2) Mobile will finally happen
We have real mobile devices now becomming a reality (iPhone and iTouch) so AdWords mobile ads will finally come of age i.e. get real distribution volume. It's been a long wait.

3) Something will happen on the Content Network
I'm not sure what. But I get the feeling something is afoot. Maybe expansion, and maybe (hopefully) a split out of all the varied components for better ad control and measurement.

4) Social network advertising will fail to compete
Friends will not be enthusiastic about selling to friends. Advertisers will see poor conversions. The general public social network sites will consolidate, although specialized sites may fare better. Either way, search engine ads will continue to deliver the goods for advertisers.

5) The new Gadget Ads will offer huge potential
The word here is "potential". They may not take off until 2009. But they will take off if Google can get distribution from Publishers. And assuming a few advertisers pioneer new "killer applications" to be delivered on the Gadget Ad platform that keep everyone happy at the same time - users, publishers and advertisers. No small feat.

Well, there they are. No matter what, 2008 will be interesting!
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Five quick AdWords predictions for 2008 from abbottsys

How about Android stops counting electronic sheep and becomes the standard for mobile phone operating systems....
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #3
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsys View Post
What will 2008 bring for AdWords? It's always fun guessing, so here are a few random thoughts, more like "gut feelings" from someone who spends a lot of time on AdWords every day, and of course intended as fun...
I'd like to address this one in particular:

Quote:
3) Something will happen on the Content Network
I'm not sure what. But I get the feeling something is afoot. Maybe expansion, and maybe (hopefully) a split out of all the varied components for better ad control and measurement.
Something *should* happen with the Content Network, it's high time something did and some changes are long overdue.

For one, publishers should not be able to just add the ads to whichever sites they choose to.

a) No ads should be allowed to be paid for, for sites that the publisher has not listed in their account; and there should be a place provided to do that, that should be mandatory.

b) In addition to having to list all sites as a requirement, there should be categorization within which to list the sites. I'd even venture to say that asking for the source(s) of content on the site might be a viable possibility.

That could not only be a quality control measure for the Adsense program itself, but wouldn't it also be a help to advertisers to be able to specify what types of sites they'd like to run ads on within the content network, if nothing else to protect the integrity of their branding?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #4
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

I agree, Marcia. In other words, more transparency is key - which is what we've been requesting for a LONG time now!

The content network can be a great add-on for advertisers, but is still too much of a free-for-all for many.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #5
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

I had a feeling that prediction #3 would generate some comments
One of my favorite pastimes is to try and itemize all the places that AdWords can appear on the Content Network. Here's my current list, and I'm sure I'm still missing some...

1. Regular websites
2. MFA websites
3. Blogs
4. Parked domains (including search boxes)
5. Error pages
6. Gmail emails
Old 01-04-2008   #6
Mel66

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

You should add YouTube and MySpace to your list, abbottsys. I guess you could lump MySpace into Blogs, but IMHO it's a different animal. And YouTube is entirely different. Anyone using Adwords Content for B to C should be on the lookout for referrals from both these sites - watch your conversions like a hawk and site-exclude them asap if you're not getting conversions.

Melissa
Old 01-04-2008   #7
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66 View Post
You should add YouTube and MySpace to your list, abbottsys. I guess you could lump MySpace into Blogs, but IMHO it's a different animal. And YouTube is entirely different. Anyone using Adwords Content for B to C should be on the lookout for referrals from both these sites - watch your conversions like a hawk and site-exclude them asap if you're not getting conversions.

Melissa
Thanks Mel, so here's the latest list of AdWords Content Network components:

1. Regular websites
2. MFA websites
3. Blogs
4. MySpace
5. YouTube
6. Parked domains (including search boxes)
7. Error pages
8. Gmail emails

Up to 8 now. Anyone got more to add?
Old 01-04-2008   #8
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute

There could be a "Social Networks" option, which it's dubious would be very attractive to many B2B operations. Bubble-gummers and SEM linkwhores aren't likely to do much good for an advertiser with hydraulic machinery or storage sheds to promote.

There could also be a difference specified between end-provider ecommerce sites and sites run using an affiliate model - which can be product display sites (automated using feeds or hand-rolled and tightly targeted), content based, or mall/coupon sites. They aren't all the same, not by a long shot, and they won't necessarily get the same type of visitors, based on their sources of traffic (including keyword targeting) and the visiting consumers' stage in the buying cycle.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #9
Webmaster T

Webmaster T is a jewel in the roughWebmaster T is a jewel in the roughWebmaster T is a jewel in the rough

SMO/SMM and Digglike tagging sites etc are the most hyped SEO techniques of 2007! They were so overhyped they will be useless to SEs in no time. I predict the ads on Facebook will not only fail they'll be miserable failures. YouTube on the other hand will explode. I've already seen YouTube eclipse MSN search and all the shopping engines combined as a traffic source and the videos we have on product pages have definitely improved conversion so... it's seems a reasonable conclusion they'll work as advertising if the hooks and CTA's are transparent. I strongly recommend paying attention to comments from YouTube users we found it really helpful in prividing content that the commercial message is slanted correctly and the user gets info they need in purchasuing decisions. If it's a touchy feely or audio product then... video rocks as a sales tool!
Webmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #10
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

When you say YouTube as a traffic source do you mean as a referrer of traffic or as a source of traffic at YouTube watching the videos?

The former would be great - the latter does nothing but help Google
Old 01-06-2008   #11
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Smile Re: Five quick AdWords predictions for 2008 from abbottsys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster T View Post
I strongly recommend paying attention to comments from YouTube users we found it really helpful in prividing content that the commercial message is slanted correctly and the user gets info they need in purchasuing decisions. If it's a touchy feely or audio product then... video rocks as a sales tool!
Be aware that YouTube account owners can require that comments first be approved. Worth pointing out that for some queries, video is the most relevant result.

As for my AdWords prediction, here goes!

Due to in part to the success of AdWords new Google Gadget Ad format and other ventures, Google stock will reach $1,000 per share in 2008.

beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #12
AussieWebmaster

I hope it hit 1k I have 100 shares I got at 103
Old 01-07-2008   #13
Mel66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster T View Post
SMO/SMM and Digglike tagging sites etc are the most hyped SEO techniques of 2007! They were so overhyped they will be useless to SEs in no time. I predict the ads on Facebook will not only fail they'll be miserable failures. YouTube on the other hand will explode. I've already seen YouTube eclipse MSN search and all the shopping engines combined as a traffic source and the videos we have on product pages have definitely improved conversion so... it's seems a reasonable conclusion they'll work as advertising if the hooks and CTA's are transparent. I strongly recommend paying attention to comments from YouTube users we found it really helpful in prividing content that the commercial message is slanted correctly and the user gets info they need in purchasuing decisions. If it's a touchy feely or audio product then... video rocks as a sales tool!
Interesting info. Good to see you here, Webmaster T!
Old 01-07-2008   #14
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by beu View Post
As for my AdWords prediction, here goes!

Due to in part to the success of AdWords new Google Gadget Ad format and other ventures, Google stock will reach $1,000 per share in 2008.

Wow, cool. Now that's a specific and measurable prediction. Don't forget to allow for stock splits.
Old 01-17-2008   #15
jewboy

jewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the roughjewboy is a jewel in the rough

2008 Adwords Predictions:

1) Higher inflation
2) Decreased customer
3) More seemingly irrelevant ads
4) More cluttering of the Adwords UI
5) More restrictions on the creatives
jewboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #16
AussieWebmaster

lol... avi you are such an optimist....