Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2007   #1
ethan0228

ethan0228 is on a distinguished road
Conversion Tracking Clicks or Downloads

Hello

While counting a page view as an AdWords conversion is straight forward, I am intersted in counting as a conversion the download of a piece of software (or a link click). Can anyone suggest some code or other method I might be able to use to achieve this?

Thanks
ethan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Conversion Tracking Clicks or Downloads

You can use the click - be it on the submit button of a form or a plain link being clicked.... you add the onClick code to the link that calls the pixel you use for counting conversions
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #3
ethan0228

ethan0228 is on a distinguished road

Can't do that because the AdWords conversion tracking requires you to all a JS file (conversion.js) on the google servers and not a function.
ethan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan0228 View Post
Can't do that because the AdWords conversion tracking requires you to all a JS file (conversion.js) on the google servers and not a function.
I am hoping all is call - in which case I would need to see what is in the js file... you can either have the action cause a simultaneous action that calls the script... or find out what is in the file and call that particular element.

and at this stage my head is spinning
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #5
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan0228 View Post
Hello

While counting a page view as an AdWords conversion is straight forward, I am intersted in counting as a conversion the download of a piece of software (or a link click). Can anyone suggest some code or other method I might be able to use to achieve this?

Thanks
Don't make this more complex than it need be. If your definition of a conversion is a sofware download, then just supply a "thank you" page for the folks who downloaded. And on that page add the Google Adwords Conversion Tracking Code. Then, you'll know how many downloaded, and your cost/download. Bingo, you have control over your business.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote