Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2007   #1
cory waldron
1st Street Internet Marketing

Location: Nanaimo BC - the big island off the west coast of Canada
cory waldron is on a distinguished road
Sites dropped from rankings?

Any idea why msn live would drop 5 of my sites and my clients sites?
meta tags are good and short, no spamming techniques used.
I had 4 sites getting 1st page results, now all of them are nowhere to be found unless you search for the domain name.

What's goin on with live search? I still get great results on google and yahoo.

Is there something new im missing here?
cory waldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Sites dropped from rankings?

how long had they been in the results?
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #3
cory waldron

2 sites were getting top results for about the last year, other 4 sites getting 1st page for last 6 months. So all of the sites are less than 2 years old.

I optimize for google mainly but i also need to explain to my customers where their website got to on live search.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
This is also my 1st post in here so i'd like to say hello and thanks for your input.

Cory
Old 12-13-2007   #4
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute

There have been a lot of reports of sites going missing from Live Search since they did their search engine re-vamp around the 1st of October or thereabouts.

Did you lose pages, or whole sites, out of the index, or just drop in rankings?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #5
cory waldron

I've lost several pages from the sites and a major drop in rankings. Buried in the sand...or snow i guess

At least it didnt happen on google. I'm not a fan of live search myself but theres still alot of users out there on msn. I'll just wait for that dreaded call from my client looking for an explanation as to why he went from #1 to who knows where.

Humbug
Old 12-13-2007   #6
cory waldron

Have any of you ever had an SEO competitor report your website(s)
(including my SEO business site) as spam in order to have them purposely removed?

Seems odd 6 sites would all disappear at the same time ?
Old 12-13-2007   #7
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

competitors trying to get you out is part of the game... they can't get ahead of you legitimately so they go the other way
Old 12-14-2007   #8
cory waldron

Well I got a reply from technical support at Live Search, and here's what they said:

"Cory, we would like to inform you that the Live Search index is built based on billions of documents from millions of Web sites. Live Search uses its MSNBot WebCrawler to automatically update the index when changes, additions, or removals are made from Web sites. Live Search is constantly making improvements on our Search results, working to bring you the best relevant results on the Web. As we work to improve our service, some sites may not pull up on a normal search query and additional keywords will be needed to find the site. We apologize for the inconvenience during these changes."

"If a page changes, the change will properly be reflected in our database when the page is next crawled and indexed, this includes any changes to the title or descriptions on a Web page. The crawler revisits known Web pages periodically to check that the page is still there and to update the database information about the page content. Web sites that regularly update content are crawled more frequently than others. If your content is updated on a frequent basis it should be crawled every 30-45 days. If your site is relatively static, the re-crawl could take up to 120 days or more."

"When you add new pages to an existing site, be sure to build href links from your existing Web pages and navigation tools to the new pages. When the crawler refreshes content from the known pages, it will find the links to the new pages and add them to the Web database. The crawler cannot always follow dynamic links. To assure content discovery, be sure to include a static link to new content. If your site navigation is normally done only with dynamic links, you can create a site map page with a static link map of your site to be sure robots can discover all of your content."

"As for keywords search, kindly note that keywords need to be distinct instead of one broad set of keywords on every page."

Old 12-17-2007   #9
Daphne

Daphne is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a site that revolves around our public school. It's a political forum. It was never built to spam results. Google and Yahoo seem to feel it is fine. Results are good. Before MSN's update, listings were fine there too.

After the MSN update the entire site was dropped. I resubmitted for indexing. There are over 125 pages but only two have been reindexed. The site is updated at least weekly if not daily depending on activity. It is not dynamic. There are links from the home page to the newest posts and links from the home page to sub pages that link to the rest of the site.

The note MSN sent you seems inconsistent with what I've seen with this site.

I'm not stressing over it but since I'm in SEO I've been watching and trying to understand why this happened. Unfortunately I am still unsure. One thought is that since this is a political site, there are those not happy that is exists. It is possible they may have reported us as spam but I doubt it. With others experiencing the same thing, I'm thinking it is something else. I hope some one gets their finger on this.
Daphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #10
cory waldron

The worst part about it is that there's really nothing i can do about it. Submit pages to them and wait and see. Very frustrating as I have clients sites who did real well on live search, and I don't have an answer for them as to why they're businesses have been dropped from live search.

"The filing cabinet got knocked over and all the files fell out and need to be re-arranged, it might take awhile".
Old 12-17-2007   #11
Lumhierre

Lumhierre is on a distinguished road

I find MSN unpredictable as to how they rank sites... I gave up on them a long time ago...
Lumhierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #12
AussieWebmaster

Yeah they may be up and down but the conversion numbers are great for us....
Old 12-17-2007   #13
raviverma
Ravi Verma

raviverma is on a distinguished road

I guess.. its because of change in algorithm
raviverma is offline   Reply With Quote