Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2007   #1
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of
Google URL Removal Tool - For a subdomain?

Does anyone know how to use the tool to remove a subdomain? It doesn't seem to be one of the options in WMT.

Thanks
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Google URL Removal Tool - For a subdomain?

How do you mean remove a subdomain?
To stop the spider just add it to the robots.txt file and include the nofollow, noindex tag in all head tags of that subdomain.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #3
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of

Right, and thanks - this will clear it up but will take a long time. In this case a sloppy programmer has already allowed a subdomain to get indexed that urgently needs to be removed. WMT seems to make no allowance for subdomain removal at all.

I did find that the public URL removal tool lets you remove subdomain pages, but only one-at-a-time. So that's what we ended up doing. I guess the WMT people haven't thought about subdomains yet.
Old 12-10-2007   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Funny there was some talk of this at PubCon last week.
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/015621.html
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #5
JohnW

Frank, thanks for pointing out that article, it's about time they fixed that but it doesn't really address URL removal.

Actually I'm glad this thread is still alive because it made me do some more thinking....one thing I didn't consider would be to create a WMT account for the subdomain. Duh.
Old 12-10-2007   #6
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Dang, it's so obvious that my head spun around. Let us know how it works.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #7
loki

loki is on a distinguished road

@JohnW
how did that subdomain removal work out for you ?
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #8
JohnW

As far as I remember it worked out but that was like 100 websites ago ;-) I will have to check with the team, will update if it didn't work.
Old 02-16-2009   #9
Adamzimmer

Adamzimmer is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Google URL Removal Tool - For a subdomain?

HI

thanks for using your link and to post......

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 02-16-2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: link drop
Adamzimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #10
KSew

KSew is on a distinguished road

JohnW, try contacting them. Mail is the best option. Google may remove the folder from its database. And be sure to use robots.txt next time.
KSew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009   #11
JohnW

Seems that the way to do it is to create a WMT account for the subdomain, then remove it.
Old 02-24-2009   #12
rapidvectorseo

rapidvectorseo will become famous soon enoughrapidvectorseo will become famous soon enough

John i understand what you mean to say, but i didn't tried to remove a sub domain yet from the GWT URL remover tool. Will soon check out and if i'll find any thing helpful, than surely will let you know.
rapidvectorseo is offline   Reply With Quote