Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2007   #1
Deano1976

Deano1976 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Is the quality of Yahoo PPC traffic falling?

Hi there,

I started work for a UK online sports retailer in July-07 and since Apr-07 the company's new sales from Yahoo PPC traffic has fallen month-on-month. Nov-07 new sales was 42% down on Apr-07 and 43% down on Nov-06. In comparison with all other PPCs (Google, MSN etc) new sales are all up month-on-month.

In Aug-06 our new sales dropped by similar (40%) amounts for 3 months after MSN split from the Yahoo PPC Network, but returned to the same level as before.

From Aug-07, my Yahoo account was switched over from Overture to Panama. Since then I haven't changed the Yahoo account a great deal, other than to improve the ad text etc. I have checked that the tracking is working and that we are still getting the same clicks from the same keywords are before Apr-07.

So it leads me to question the quality of the traffic from Yahoo PPC.

I have sent an email to Yahoo asking someone to help me workout what is happening. I am really puzzled why this is happening. But unless I get an answer, I am going to have to cut back on the clicks/costs to achieve a pre-Apr-07 ROI level.

Any ideas on what could be happening?

Regards

Dean
Deano1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #2
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Re: Is the quality of Yahoo PPC traffic falling?

If you've recently migrated to Panama, you'll want to review your campaigns with a fine-toothed comb to make sure they're still set up the way you want them to be - i.e. ad groups and keywords still match, ad copy is ok (without weird KW insertion and other "features" that Y may have happily opted you into), and that your content network status and match types are the way you want them (e.g. on vs. off and standard vs. advanced).

Maybe Y has improved their import process since they did the big US migration, but I know we had huge issues with it and it took a lot of time to get everything back the way we wanted it to be.

Also I know a lot of US advertisers found their ROI fluctuated pretty wildly in the first couple months of Panama, but things eventually settled down. PM me if you want more detail and I can send you some links.

HTH

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #3
BasicECommerce

BasicECommerce will become famous soon enough

When my accounts were switched from Overture to Panama (YSM), there were a lot of errors in our campaigns, adgroups, keywords, bids, ad text, etc. The upgrade/change to Yahoo PPC completely overhauled the way Overture was working and made it function more like Google AdWords.
I would follow the advice of Mel66. Spend at least 1-2 days looking at every detail in your Yahoo PPC and make the necessary changes.
BasicECommerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #4
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

To add on to the advice above and give you some context just look what has changed since your pre-panama campaigns were upgraded.

Proper country level targeting - A HUGE issue with the previous Yahoo platform was its inability to block unwanted foreign traffic. They fixed this in Panama.
Analytics - Major upgrade provides for deep analytics. See "Full analytics" Go to "administration" tab, then "analytics" link, then turn on "FULL ANALYTICS". Tag your site accordingly. The reports are fast, detailed and important.
Site exclusion - You can stop sites from running your ads. Works on BOTH search and content networks.
Campaign 3rd party convert and Import - Export your Google account using adwords editor, then convert it using Yahoos online tool and import it to create campaigns on Yahoo fast. Its not a perfect process, but it works and is super fast compared to your alternative.

Content - Yahoo still has plenty of work to do on their content network side (we still refrain from using it), but it has improved. They have kicked out a lot of bad partners and keep a better eye on existing network partners.

In regards to campaign set up and management it has improved dramatically; there are far too many items to list. Suffice it to say that Panama is now a leisurely cruise compared to the Titanic that Overture was.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #5
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

We still find the Yahoo traffic converts better than Google but not quite MSN - but volume is king and thus Google
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #6
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Wow, not once since Google and Yahoo have both had an offering has Yahoo outperformed Google. And until Panama, not even in the same ball park.

Just goes to show you how different engines can play out in different ways depending on the product or services you are trying to market.

Yahoo needs to shore up the site exlusion feature, eliminate the limit of 250 sites, and also put an end to the garbitrage cloners who create a new replica website only hours after you have excluded the original one.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #7
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

It very much depends on the topic
Old 12-10-2007   #8
AzamMarketing

AzamMarketing is on a distinguished road

I'd say the quality is better than pre-Panama days. But, as advised above, you need to spend serious time optimising your campaigns in Panama.

Good luck.
AzamMarketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #9
AussieWebmaster

Also Yahoo is the best at country isolation.... it is a bigger consideration than the language of the browser whereas Google and MSN lean more on the language of the browser to reinforce their country selections
Old 12-11-2007   #10
Toure
The PPCBlogger

Toure has a spectacular aura aboutToure has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Campaign 3rd party convert and Import - Export your Google account using adwords editor, then convert it using Yahoos online tool and import it to create campaigns on Yahoo fast. Its not a perfect process, but it works and is super fast compared to your alternative.
Make sure you whip out negative keywords on Adwords before you convert as Yahoo will just add them as keywords which is scary.

Also remember to add in keyword level destination urls for tracking, as Yahoo does not dynamically pass through keywords at ad level.

They really need to sort that out.

Last edited by Toure : 12-11-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Toure is offline   Reply With Quote