Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2007   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Got the new Google Gadget Ads?

Google is rolling out these things to selected AdWords advertisers. Do you have them in your account? I think the implication of "gadget ads" could be *very* significant, because they change the basic concept of what an ad does.

But, let's not forget the fundamental problem of rolling out a new AdWords ad format.. the publishers *must* sign on otherwise it dies. However, in this case I feel a new advertising idea is being born, not just another format.

BTW: I just blogged about them in the AdWords Addict
http://adwords-addict.blogspot.com

Last edited by abbottsys : 12-02-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #2
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Re: Got the new Google Gadget Ads?

Good to hear they are finally rolling this out. This has been in beta for a few months now and Google has been working on this for two years. They talked about Gadget Ads at Google Developer Day 2007 the end of May but, I've seen presentations since then that were more geared at advertisers. The big advantage I see is that Google Gadget Ads run anywhere and with no serving costs (at least they did during the beta). You've still got to have an RSS feed or RSS of some sort though.

One case study used, an Atlantic Records "Diddy TV" Gadget Ad.

Click "Ad it now" at the link below:
http://www.google.com/ig/directory?u...iddy/diddy.xml

Then you can go to iGoogle to check out the ad:
http://www.google.com/ig

Gadget Ads are designed to deliver various solutions including video, menus, forms, transactions, mashups, feeds, user generated and other. There are "beta" examples from HP, iTunes, Pizza Hut, Ebay, American Airlines and 20th Century Fox. Gadgets recently went cross-platform.

http://google-code-updates.blogspot....-platform.html

All and all they seem pretty cool but, issues may come up is when clients request "super customization" of Gadgets. In those cases there will be developer costs, design costs and RSS related costs in terms of development. Google is working on compiling a list of Google Developers to recommend. "Google Gadget Ventures" offers grants of $5,000 USD to Google Developers who develop Gadgets with 250,000+ page views per week. They also offer $100,000 USD to Google Developers starting a business around the platform.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007   #3
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Google's $100,000 Gadget offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beu View Post
...They also offer $100,000 USD to Google Developers starting a business around the platform.
Yes indeed. Google is serious about their Gadgets. Here's their $100,000 offer to prospective developers..
Google Gadget Ventures
http://www.google.com/gadgetventures/
Old 12-04-2007   #4
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

You all know that I work at Google, so take my comments for what you feel they're worth - but I'm pretty jazzed about Gadget Ads myself.

I'd be happy to pass along any feedback about Gadget Ads to the right folks, whether positive, negative, or indifferent - so feel free to post with your thoughts. I'll send the link to this entire thread to the Gadget Ads team late on Thursday evening.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #5
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Thanks AWR!

Also worth pointing out that Google Gadget Ads aren't available to everyone just yet.

For more information check out Google's Official Gadget Ads page, http://www.google.com/adwords/gadgetads/start.html
Old 12-05-2007   #6
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsys View Post
...But, let's not forget the fundamental problem of rolling out a new AdWords ad format.. the publishers *must* sign on otherwise it dies...
I love quoting myself But seriously, I'm super positive about Gadget Ads - I feel a new advertising idea is being born, not just another format - but still, what about the above?

The mechanics of keeping the "consumer/advertiser/publisher" equation balanced is subtle. Consider the dynamics..

1) consumer - expects to view the ad totally for free. (but note: in this case the consumer can actually play with the ad)

2) advertiser - expects great distribution and measurement. expects to pay to get it.

3) publisher - expects to earn money by running the ad. expects revenue to be comparable or better than other ad formats. expects the ad will not be to intrusive and will not drain (to much) traffic from their website.

Comments?

Here's a very strange one to get the ball rolling.. what if 1) was not set in stone. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but as soon as micropayments become truly transparent
Old 12-05-2007   #7
beu

abbottsys, can you tell us anything about your ads, their design, format and/or functionality?

How would you rate the quality of reporting?
Old 12-06-2007   #8
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
abbottsys, can you tell us anything about your ads, their design, format and/or functionality?...
Hopefully soon. I've just been accepted into Google's phased rollout and should have Gadget Ads available in my AdWords account soon. I also have our lead developer ready to help with the technology. I'll post my experiences here and in the AdWords Addict blog.

Last edited by abbottsys : 12-06-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2008   #9
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Update: We're close to producing our first AdWords Gadget Ad and hope to have it live in the next few days. I'll report our experiences here for anyone who's interested in this potentially very important ad development from Google.

Recap: With certain restrictions, Gadget Ads are basically mini-apps that get delivered under a Google Ad revenue model. If you have developers on your staff it's a good idea to start thinking about Gadget Ads. Stay tuned..
Old 01-03-2008   #10
beu

Congratulations abbottsys, I'm really interested in hearing how things have gone thus far!
Old 01-04-2008   #11
1websitedesign
http://laptops.baysworld.com

1websitedesign is on a distinguished road

i think these ads are great.
1websitedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #12
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Congratulations abbottsys, I'm really interested in hearing how things have gone thus far!
On the technical side things are going flawlessly, so no problems, and we should be live with the ad soon. But the whole process got me to pondering the wider implications of this Gadget Ad platform.

Since my "strategy ponderings" can get a bit boring for some readers I'll keep them out of this thread and post them in a new thread for anyone who's interested.
Old 01-04-2008   #13
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

UPDATE --Re: Got the new Google Gadget Ads?

Update: the mechanics of Gadget Ad production

1) You build your ad in the Google Gadget Ad Editor which is basically a very primative application development environment. So you're building a very simple "mini-application"

2) The actual gadget file (code) is nothing more than an XML blob in a particular format. The editor supports entry of XML, HTML & Javascript. Flash can be loaded as well. No java. Your gadget can use java, but if it does, it will need to be externally hosted. This is not really recommended due to bandwidth issues (your server will get killed dead).

3) The Gadget code can do anything that Javascript can do. Any Flash is loaded by the browser, so all browser rules apply.

4) When the code is ready you run the Validator. Validation is very much like "compiling an application". It is pretty comprehensive. It checks to see if you have properly defined click through URLs and whether or not you have supplied all of the relevant XML tags.

5) Once validated you tell your Google AdWords account rep, who uploads the Gadget Ad into your AdWords account.

We're still Validating and about a day away from step #5. Our first Ad is something very simple so we can test the system.

More to come.
Old 01-05-2008   #14
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

UPDATE: Validation

Well, our code was fine (this stuff is real easy to produce), but it failed to validate due to a "missing thumbnail graphic". Not exactly sure how Gadget ads use thumbnail graphics, but no problem, we'll create one and get validation complete. Hopefully we'll deploy the Ad early next week.
Old 01-07-2008   #15
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

UPDATE: Validation done

Our Gadget Ad now validates ok. So we've asked our Account Rep to move it from the Gadget Editor to our AdWords account. Hopefully it will be live today. Once live I'll report specific numbers.
Old 01-09-2008   #16
nigeyes

nigeyes is on a distinguished road

where do these gadget ads appear?
nigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #17
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

UPDATE: The gadget ad is now live in our AdWords account. It's configured in one of our ad groups as an ad variation, and is therefore in rotation with one of our top perfoming text ads.

So far I'm seeing impressions (which is encouraging) but no clicks. Also, a browser display issue - I cannot view the ad in IE, but it shows fine in Safari. My developer is working with Google to investigate.

As regards ad distribution, obviously it's on the Content Network only, but is also in competition with text ads and has to beat them before a publisher will show it. This is a bit worrying, since it sounds like it could impact existing text campaigns. Still, publishers do need an incentive to show these things and I suppose this is the way google decided to offer the incentive.

To aid analysis I might need to configure the ad as a totally separate campaign as opposed to a variation.

More to come..
Old 01-11-2008   #18
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

UPDATE:

1) We're still working on the IE display problem. I don't think this is a big deal, but until it's fixed I can't view the ad in my adwords account, so I have no way of testing it.

2) A potentially bigger problem is a low volume of impressions. The ad is currently setup as a variation and I have two variations in the ad group, a regular text ad and the gadget ad. Even though I've specified Ad Serving/Rotate, so the ads should display 50/50, I'm seeing this is not the case. The Gadget Ad is only displaying about 5% of the time. Clearly it's in some type of competition with the text ad. I'm going to see if moving the gadget ad out to it's own campaign will fix this. Clearly, since text ads rule in terms of generating my business, I can't afford to impact my text ads.

3) My fear of course is that Gadget Ads are not (yet) getting *new* distribution, but simply robbing impressions from text ads. If this is true it's a problem for advertisers, although it may please publishers. Again, we have the issue of the careful balance needed to satisfy all players in the distribution channel: users/google/publishers/advertisers.

More to come...

Last edited by abbottsys : 01-11-2008 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-11-2008   #19
beu

got any images for us?
Old 01-12-2008   #20
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
got any images for us?
Not yet I'm afraid. But the gadget ad we're currently testing is very simple. At the top of the ad is text with a live link (basically a text ad) and below is a small box that playes a video. The text basically says, "play the video first to see if you like our product, and if you do then click on the link to order".

Simple direct sales pitch all in one ad unit. Of course, gadget ads can do more sophisticated stuff than this, but we're using this one as a test.