Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Dynamic Website and Technical Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007   #1
jwhite68

jwhite68 is on a distinguished road
Dynamic pages not being indexed

Hi,

I have a website which has quite a common architecture, with an index page that leads to a search page containing 'summary' level internal links to products.

In the design, since i use PHP, the pages are generated dynamically, using parameters.

In order to make the products appear static I have used the mod_rewrite in htaccess - which ensures that only the html version is active.

When the html page is invoked directly, for example, it runs perfectly and displays the product.

But none of the products are indexed by Google.

Other PHP pages I have are indexed perfectly.

So, does anyone have some general advice on what I can check?

When I first submitted htaccess, I was only rewriting php to html - so its possible the spiders first found dupicate access via PHP and html which has caused problems, but recently I resolved this.
jwhite68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #2
jwhite68

Re: Dynamic pages not being indexed

Heres part of my .htaccess file

Code:
RewriteCond %{ENV:REDIRECT_STATUS} ^$ 
# If it's mode=prop we need property 
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING}property ^(.*&)?mode=prop(&.*)?(property)$ [NC,OR] 
# OR if it's mode=comm we need commercial 
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING}commercial ^(.*&)?mode=comm(&.*)?(commercial)$ [NC,OR]
# OR if it's mode=land we need land 
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING}land ^(.*&)?mode=land(&.*)?(land)$ [NC]
# Pass on the mode in %3 and match the value of id. 
RewriteCond %3::%{QUERY_STRING} ^(.+)::(.*&)?id=([0-9]+)(&.*)?$ [NC] 
# Match the filename and redirect. 
RewriteRule ^fullpage\.php$ /%1-%3.html? [R=301,L]

# Internally rewrite search engine friendly static URL to dynamic filepath and query , for fullpage.php with just property id and mode
RewriteRule ^property-([0-9]*).html /fullpage.php?id=$1&mode=prop  [L]
The idea is that from the root directory, should just access a property via property-1.html for example.

The index page, leads onto the search results on a search.php. This in turn has links to property-1.html etc, depending on the search criteria.
Old 11-29-2007   #3
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

It's really hard to comment without seeing what's going on. Why don't you drop an unlinked version of your URL, use example dot com or a similar format.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #4
jwhite68

Example.

Entering:

http://www.mydomain.com/property-1.html, will invoke internally

http://www.mydomain.com/fullpage.php?id=1&mode=prop

So within the search.php page, there will be an internal link to www.mydomain.com/property-1.html, for example.
Old 11-29-2007   #5
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

What I actually meant was for you to give us youractualdomain dot com so we can take a look at it and better discuss it.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote