Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Marketing
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2004   #1
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Guerilla Marketing & Underhand Tactics - All Fair in Love and War?

Over the last few weeks i've had some opportunity to observe some truly inept forums spammers in action. Also, one or two quite good ones, so good that im not certain they were spamming

By forum spamming i mean this:

NewbieA: Hey, i just found this place it's way cool! Does anyone know anything about xyz.com's link program?

NewbieB: Yeah, we just tried them, we opted for the "gold account" account at $300 and it really rocks! Our sites have shot up in the SERPS!!

blah blah blah....

Im not talking about posting your site and hoping the mods dont delete it but real sneaky tactics like posing as newbie webmasters (or dog owners, car owners whatever) in order to create a "buzz" about your product.

Of course you can also do this on blogs.

Some things they get wrong:

* Having the same join date is stupidity incarnate
* Knowing to many details about the product is unconvincing
* Making the same spelling errors is just sloppy
* Using only 2 fake newbies is also sloppy

Now, for me, it was much fun. I do love to see these things when they happen, i had very good teachers in my days at wmw and there is not a more "spam conscious" forum owner on the planet than Brett Tabke (ahem... you know what i mean)..

But, my questions are these, for the sake of just generally getting the ball rolling on a subject that facinates me:
  • Would you spam message boards if it would increase sales?
  • If so, what else would you be prepared to do?
  • How far is too far in marketing?

For me, all is fair in love and war, i've never done it, but if I ever did, i'd like to think I could do a better job than some of the sad jobbies i've seen out there recently. So, yes, under the right circumstances, in places I do *not* frequent, i might well be tempted...

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #2
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W
But, my questions are these, for the sake of just generally getting the ball rolling on a subject that facinates me:
  • Would you spam message boards if it would increase sales?
  • If so, what else would you be prepared to do?
  • How far is too far in marketing?
I think it is all about making buddies who autospam for you without you asking them to. if others want to recommend your stuff then it is not really spam and it stands up longer.

>How far is too far in marketing?
when you use your wedding as an excuse for a marketing get together that is a bit far IMHO
Old 10-07-2004   #3
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
hehe, Brad explained all that too me ;-) not a put down for SG...

Nick
Old 10-07-2004   #4
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Funny, that's the oldest trick in the book. I used to link build using similar tactics way back in the mid 90's. (Not for links then, just relevant traffic.)

It's very easy for me to spot that sort of thing on my forum, and it gets removed pretty quickly when I do. I think it's funny how the posters think they're being all really smart like they are the only ones in the world who ever thought of doing it! (Then act all indignant when caught!)

That said, would I do it today? I would, but in a smarter way. I do have one client coming up where I think this strategy would be useful. Mostly to build a buzz in the right industry. But I wouldn't just go in and spam. I'd only post info on my site where it was relevant, or even just use a sig. line as necessary.

Okay, so now we can start the headlines, "Jill Whalen is a spammer"! (Oh wait, that one's been done before!)
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #5
critter
Underpromise; Overdeliver

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
I truly believe it all depends....isn't this kind of spam a form of "VIRAL MARKETING"?

ALthough there are millions of users online, I believe the internet is a fairly tight nit group and when/if you piss off the wrong people it can follow and haunt you for quite some time.

Personally I'm not a spam fan, but I agree with Jill in that proper, effective "BUZZING" is maybe a better way to spread the word so to speak without blatanly spamming forums..

Cheers

CRITTER
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #6
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by critter
Personally I'm not a spam fan, but I agree with Jill in that proper, effective "BUZZING" is maybe a better way to spread the word so to speak without blatanly spamming forums..
its all linguistics and technique.
Old 10-07-2004   #7
Nick W

Quote:
when/if you piss off the wrong people it can follow and haunt you for quite some time.
that would put me in a class all of my own then

Nick
Old 10-07-2004   #8
Brad
A Usual Suspect

Brad is a jewel in the roughBrad is a jewel in the roughBrad is a jewel in the roughBrad is a jewel in the rough
Sometimes it's fun to see some true masters at work: those that can lay an oh-so casual linkdrop down in a thread and everybody ends ou thanking them and saying they are a genius. Yet it was a link drop nonetheless. Hehe!

Then we get the less artful as Nick just pointed out.

<slight aside>
I also run a small genre based forum and there I get a lot of authors linkdropping. I feel bad about cautioning them not to, because I think they feel they have to spam forums because in a very real sense, the search engines with their fancy link pop and algo's fail these authors. Back in the old days when we relied on directories to find content they stood a decent chance but not anymore.

I guess my point is that there is a whole part of the hobby and content Web that has to rely on guerrilla marketing, conversations as markets and old fashion things like webrings and banner exchanges just to get some traffic.

</slight aside>
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #9
Nick W

Well, i just bought myself a subscription to a lovely set of high speed, high stealth proxies so watch out! hehe....

Seriously though, if you're going to do these things, do them right goddamit! I saw some silly little oik spamming the crap out of ihelpyou the other day (think he did one with you and i posted a note in it..) he just did one after the other, after the other... it was pathetic.

Nothing annoys me more than amateurs.. (ill just restate that i've not done this yet, i'd happily tell you if i had..)

Personally, i find it easier to bring attention to your website by starting a thread with a provocative title and a reasonably broad subject that people will want to participate in.

Of course you have to have your sig or custom user title with the domain... (OMG SPAMMER!)

Nick
Old 10-07-2004   #10
Brad
A Usual Suspect

Brad is a jewel in the roughBrad is a jewel in the roughBrad is a jewel in the roughBrad is a jewel in the rough
Talking

Quote:
Personally, i find it easier to bring attention to your website by starting a thread with a provocative title and a reasonably broad subject that people will want to participate in.
You got that right Nick. If one makes good and thoughtful posts, people will check out the link in the profile.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #11
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Who was it that said that "every great fortune is built on a crime"?

Half the inherited wealth today seems to have descended from pirates or bootleggers. Draw your own conclusions, I guess. And don't get caught.

P.S. Jill Whalen is a spammer!
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #12
fathom

fathom is a jewel in the roughfathom is a jewel in the roughfathom is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgoodman
Well she's in good company... Google's included in this list as well... and so am I - I guess since I do as Google does.
fathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #13
dstew
Just me

dstew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
when you use your wedding as an excuse for a marketing get together that is a bit far IMHO

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
ROFLMAO

Cut it out......stop it......you're killing me......

ROFLMAO
dstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #14
seobook
I'm blogging this

>when you use your wedding as an excuse for a marketing get together that is a bit far IMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew
ROFLMAO

Cut it out......stop it......you're killing me......

ROFLMAO
an internet marketer recently did this.
Old 10-08-2004   #15
dstew
Just me

dstew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
an internet marketer recently did this.
Yes, I received the invitations too, over and over and over again, and just deleted them. Though it was odd then, and laughed my a55 off when you reminded us again...
dstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #16
kenpomachine
lurker

kenpomachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Then we get the less artful as Nick just pointed out.
The worst I've seen is the same spam post posted in different forums word by word, with a difference of weeks. The only creativity there was in the nicks
kenpomachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #17
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpomachine
The worst I've seen is the same spam post posted in different forums word by word, with a difference of weeks. The only creativity there was in the nicks
I have seen the same post in over a half dozen forums by the same name on the same day.
Old 10-08-2004   #18
Nick W

There was a classic one on ihelpyou recently, I reported him! (when in rome...)

He posted again and again and again about his dumbarse adwords sites, got banned. Then joined up and tried again as SameUserName2

Some people are just born stupid.

>invitations

Ohhh.. do tell.. please?

Nick
Old 10-08-2004   #19
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgoodman

You heard it here first, folks!
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004   #20
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W
>invitations

Ohhh.. do tell.. please?
those on his subscriber list got like 5 messages I think