Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2004   #1
ihelpyou

Is targeting personal names okay?

Just wondering what the consensus is on targeting personal names.

Do a search on Google for:

Jill Whalen
Doug Heil
Shari Thurow
Ed Kohler
Mike Grehan

on and on.... too many to list.

Is this something new and acceptable?

Actually it's somewhat of an honor although I would certainly prefer that seobook would not try to sell his ebook using my name. If I had ever read it and then endorsed it or whatever, I can see him targeting it, but I've never read it and won't read it. Just don't have the time.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ihelpyou : 10-07-2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2004   #2
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
I obviously think it is fine. it is more to show up in adsense on articles that those people write or articles those people are mentioned in.

<added> also some people are specifically targeting my domain name (where they could only be targeting my domain name) and I do not care. http://www.google.com/search?q=seobook </added>

Last edited by seobook : 10-07-2004 at 12:48 PM.
seobook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #3
ihelpyou

Oh sure. My username is being targeted also:

ihelpyou

Only problem with that is that my username is also my "nationally trademarked" business name.

But I'm curious as to why someone would target personal names, and if it's generally acceptable to the whole industry?

In my opinion it could open up lots of cans of worms.

I also find it interesting that you are not targeting:

Danny Sullivan

hmm.
Old 10-07-2004   #4
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
I also am not targeting Chris Ridings (and he expressly said it was ok by him)... what is your point?
Old 10-07-2004   #5
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
This sounds like an issue you need to take up with Aaron in private. Or at least make the question less personal.

If we cant post here without being targetted (wrongly or rightly) what do we have?

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #6
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
Good point, Aaron,

I was pretty confused about the targetting of names because I wasn't thinking about the AdSense issue.

I suspect that some people would be concerned that targetting a name rather than a product (yes I know that for consultants the product IS the name) is getting too personal, and attempting to trade off the reputation of others.

On the other hand, I guess if I was in the process of buying Jill's or Mikes book I may also consider buying yours, and vice versa. Kind of like how Amazon recommends other books based on your purchase, even if they are competitors to the author.

It's just kind of creepy to know someone is targetting your name, you know? I can see where the people involved may get concerned about the intent and purpose.

Additionally, there is the issue of people's names being targetting for reasons other than what you are doing - ie smear campaigns, etc. A business name is one thing, but personal names are....personal.

The AdSense/article thing makes sense to me, though. Tough call.

Ian
Old 10-07-2004   #7
ihelpyou

I don't see anything "personal" about this.

This is strictly business and should be discussed in public for all to see and learn from.

If we can't discuss the search engines and business tactics, etc, then what do we have?
Old 10-07-2004   #8
seobook
I'm blogging this

I specifically like some of those people (such as Mike Grehan) and would not actively try to anger him. <--- he knows where to find amazing curry, and I would not want him to write up an article for me like the SEMPO ones.

If you look the page advertising on Mike's name now links into a page that reviews a bunch of books with his book listed at the top.

I guess if it makes you mad you could always tell me what you feel is wrong with it.
Old 10-07-2004   #9
ihelpyou

I did explain my concerns with it in the first post in here.
Old 10-07-2004   #10
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihelpyou
I did explain my concerns with it in the first post in here.
the logical question at that point is why not contact me first before posting that question to the forum
Old 10-07-2004   #11
ihelpyou

Maybe you did not read my second post in this thread then? I gave the answer to that question above.

This is "business" Aaron, it's not personal at all. You have made it a very public business thing by targeting "many" personal names in the SEM industry. I feel that everyone should know what the general feelings about this are as we all have a stake in it.

Now if you would have asked my permission, or even if I had read your book and then endorsed it, I can see your reasoning for targeting my name. The fact is, none of that occurred and I was alerted to it by many today. When did this start?

Last edited by ihelpyou : 10-07-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2004   #12
ihelpyou

I see Jill Whalen and Dan Thies are not thrilled about this either?

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...8&q=aaron+wall

It looks very cutthroat to me now. Don't worry, I won't be placing an ad targeting your personal name Aaron.
Old 10-07-2004   #13
seobook
I'm blogging this

actually Dan does not care. he and I emailed back and forth joking about it. I have recently PMed back and forth with Jill and she has said nothing about my ad. thanks for interjecting your opinion on the subject though.

would you like me to remove the ad for your name doug? please feel free to email or PM me if so.
Old 10-07-2004   #14
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I also find it interesting that you are not targeting:

Danny Sullivan

hmm.
but I like that RED BULL is targeting danny for a second career here's the first google ad I get for "danny sullivan" -

Open qualifying 3/15
Red Bull Driver Search
Go-Kart Drivers Wanted
redbulldriversearch.com

HEHE. what's with that??

Anyway, Aaron, with regards to people targetting your domain name, and not caring about it - I would think you simply can't, because your domain is a very generic phrase, and that also prevents you from Trademarking it, does it not?

the name thing has got to be tricky - personally, I would stay away from anything without prior permission to do so.

SO that said, take any of the personal / legal issues offline to PM please.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #15
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth
but I like that RED BULL is targeting danny for a second career here's the first google ad I get for "danny sullivan" -

Open qualifying 3/15
Red Bull Driver Search
Go-Kart Drivers Wanted
redbulldriversearch.com

HEHE. what's with that??

Anyway, Aaron, with regards to people targetting your domain name, and not caring about it - I would think you simply can't, because your domain is a very generic phrase, and that also prevents you from Trademarking it, does it not?

the name thing has got to be tricky - personally, I would stay away from anything without prior permission to do so.

SO that said, take any of the personal / legal issues offline to PM please.
"seobook" is a generic phrase? before I created that domain I do not think there was a single existance of that term on the web.

Quote:
Yes, that's obvious
I have removed your ads. it will take a while to propigate through the various Google data centers.
Old 10-07-2004   #16
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
"seobook" is a generic phrase? before I created that domain I do not think there was a single existance of that term on the web.
aaron, I'm not trying to be arugmentative here at all - but when i said phrase, i meant "SEO book" -

and surely there were a few "seo books" out there before you bought that domain in 2003- like Search Engine Visibility by Shari Thurow, Publisher: New Riders Press; 1st edition (December 30, 2002)

and buying a domain is not the same as trademarking a product/service - i'm just trying to make the distinction on that here. a domain name does not entitle a person to be the only one using the phrase within it. that's all.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #17
ihelpyou

Thank you.

I would like to see views on this subject however. I think it's highly relevant in this industry.

Do people like the idea of anyone targeting names to help sell products?

Can I target:

Larry Page ?

How about Fred Flintstone?
Old 10-07-2004   #18
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth
aaron, I'm not trying to be arugmentative here at all - but when i said phrase, i meant "SEO book" -

and surely there were a few "seo books" out there before you bought that domain in 2003- like Search Engine Visibility by Shari Thurow, Publisher: New Riders Press; 1st edition (December 30, 2002)

and buying a domain is not the same as trademarking a product/service - i'm just trying to make the distinction on that here. a domain name does not entitle a person to be the only one using the phrase within it. that's all.
I know that there are tons of domains with certain words in it. I was speaking of "seo book" or "seo books" or anything like that, but I was stating that "seobook" (all strung together as one word) is a unique phrase that is usually associated with some of my usernames or my domain name.

my point was not that I cared or thought that it was any sort of big deal, more along the lines of the fact that bidding on other terms that may offend some is probably rather common and best if it is kept as a private issue
Old 10-07-2004   #19
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Thank you.

I would like to see views on this subject however. I think it's highly relevant in this industry.

Do people like the idea of anyone targeting names to help sell products?

Can I target:

Larry Page ?

How about Fred Flintstone?
I think it depends on how into PPC stuff you are. like if you are a pay per click junkie you probably want to be able to bid on everything under the sun ... and cite newspapers placing ads next to articles as an example. if you are some huge corporation who is in fear of competiton and whatnot you think it is evil...then everyone else is somewhere inbetween.

in the end the courts will probably decide what is right and wrong on the particular issue.
Old 10-07-2004   #20
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, I'm just upset that nobody targetted MY name.

AND I've not been attacked once by TP/1P (or whoever is behind it). <sniff>

I guess I'll have to go get into some trouble....

Ian