Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2007   #1
narenderpalsingh

narenderpalsingh is on a distinguished road
Link exchange - Positive value or thumbs down?

I think its true that Google and other engines devalue an inbound link if it's found to be reciprocated right back...As its a rational view point...So obviously the big guys might do a step better ( or its already here or they are thinking/ planning whatever ) ......
.......I mean how does the search engines (especially Google) value link exchange page as we normally see in many formats as 'recommended sites', 'resources', or open invitation to links ( Spam in technical language ....politically whatever anyone say..)..So according to you guys how does they react..

1. Penalise in some form.
2. Ignore.
3. Count the links as another medal..
narenderpalsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Link exchange - Positive value or thumbs down !!!

Reciprocal links so long as they come from related topic sites still have an impact
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #3
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Link exchange - Positive value or thumbs down?

Quote:
1. Penalise in some form.
2. Ignore.
3. Count the links as another medal...
I'd say if anything, ignore rather than penalize. Reciprocal linking has been around for so long, before Google even existed, and was used so much for personal sites with no thought of gain, that it would be counter-productive to penalize.

How they're counted is another story, but I think that reports and rumors that they're completely devalued is an SEO myth. They still appear to be helping tremendously with a lot of sites, and there's no indication otherwise. I think it's more on the side of how much value is being given (or not) to the pages that are linking out, and what the quality of the link profile of a given site is altogether.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #4
pasbans

pasbans is on a distinguished road

I think positive
Coz i am working of three years and i sea my campany sites
get good PR and some of my sites are top of google, it is not all off my sites quality but also throw link exchange
pasbans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #5
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Totally agree with Marcia & Aussie just be sure the inbound link you receive doesn't contain a nofollow tag.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #6
juergen

juergen is on a distinguished road

Link Building works well. But don't use reciprocal links, only one way links.
Also use a reliable and free link building service like <snip>.
Please also read my
Replay to a Forum Post about link building.

Last edited by jimbeetle : 01-04-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Snipped referral URL
juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #7
dur0000

dur0000 is on a distinguished road

Can you say if two related topic web sites put exchange links, this is spam? I guess, no. So relevancy is the key point in this subject.
dur0000 is offline   Reply With Quote