Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2007   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Advertising, Ads & AdWords: Can they be automated?

I've been writing AdWords ads for years, and I've often wondered if the process could be totally automated. Well, I've decided to try.

Specifically, I'm developing a free web service. Give it a page URL, get an AdWords ad. And not just any ad, a highly optimized ad. Or if that's not possible it will tell you why, and how your page could be improved.

If you're an AdWords writer I would love to hear your techniques for writing great AdWords ads.

Wish me luck. I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

Last edited by abbottsys : 11-15-2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typo
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Advertising, Ads & AdWords: Can they be automated?

Interesting concept.... has to be based on keyword density... but how you mechanically write 3 lines will be good to see.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #3
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
Interesting concept.... has to be based on keyword density... but how you mechanically write 3 lines will be good to see.
Exactly. It's a (significant) modification of the keyword density method. But the real challenge is mechanically writing the 3 lines as you mention.
Old 11-20-2007   #4
beeri

beeri is on a distinguished road

would you do optimized bidding also?
beeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #5
nigeyes

nigeyes is on a distinguished road

Yahoo are doing something interesting and new along these lines with the ad generator or multiplier. I haven't used it yet but it says:

"The Ad Multiplier automatically combines various permutations of short sentences and titles to form candidate ads"

"The Ad Generator saves the candidate ads in a pending area--outside of the ad group--where you can view and remove candidates you don't like. Ad optimisation functionality then moves the remaining candidate ads into your ad group, where it compares ad performance--it keeps the ads that perform the best and deletes the others."

Quite an interesting concept, as we all know how dramatic small changes can make, and I'm sure Google could do it better as always.
nigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #6
chris1
Low-gravity fun for everyone!

chris1 is on a distinguished road

I would be shocked if you (or anyone) could do this and have it be effective at all.
chris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #7
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeyes View Post
...."The Ad Multiplier automatically combines various permutations of short sentences and titles to form candidate ads"

"The Ad Generator saves the candidate ads in a pending area--outside of the ad group--where you can view and remove candidates you don't like. Ad optimisation functionality then moves the remaining candidate ads into your ad group, where it compares ad performance--it keeps the ads that perform the best and deletes the others."

Interesting, but I could not find this in my Yahoo account, where did you read it?

However, it sounds like just an ad combination generator. We're trying to build something very different - a service that looks at any page you give it, then provides a "strength rank" of the page from an AdWords point of view, then suggests improvements and (hopefully) a candidate ad. Works only with AdWords.

Not easy, but I don't believe this has been done. We're in beta. We have the "strength rank" part working, but the really difficult part is producing the ad.
Old 12-21-2007   #8
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Time for an update. It's been very challenging, as we suspected it would be. However, I've made some interesting progress, but scaled back from writing full ads to suggesting headline text. At least for Phase I. Bear in mind this is intended for folks getting started with AdWords, or considering using AdWords, and who need some guidance.

AdWords Analyzer
http://convobots.com/robbie/client/adwords.jsp
Old 12-21-2007   #9
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Interesting little widget abbottsys......
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #10
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
Interesting little widget abbottsys......
Thanks Aussie. It's still very much under development as feedback comes in. Should be a fun project