Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2007   #1
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
How to Dramatically Improve Site Exclusion

Site exclusion is a fantastic feature, however it is only useful if advertisers can efficiently identify and block offending sites. For some advertisers (like us) excluding "content" parnters is a tedious and daily task. We average about 40-70 new sites every day for each of the accounts we manage. If we cant identify and remove these sites fast enough Site exclusion and thus content campaigns drop in performance.

Here are a couple suggestions to improve site exclusion and site targeting for that matter. Please chime in on what you think could be done to streamline this process.

ALLOW ADVERTISERS TO:
Exclude all sites using a specific TLD. We find sites from .CN, .BR, .UK, and many, many others every day. Our campaign settings are US with English language only. We dont mind missing out on a few legit .BR sites so we can can put a lid on the hundreds of clicks per month from the others.

Exclude sites that contain a specific word in the Root domain name. If I dont want to have my ads run on blog sites wouldnt it be great to have a site exclusion keyword of "blog"?!

Make the site exclusion and targeting part of the campaign set up interface using reports. IE:

Run a placement report
Each line item has a check box.
Check the box and initiate a site targeting campaign for great performing sites.
Check the box and initiate a request to add the site to the site exclusion list.

Allow us to apply site exclusion(s) to all campaigns at once, and or to all accounts withing MCC.

Please expand on this list, I would like to know what my peers are thinking in this regard.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #2
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Re: How to Dramatically Improve Site Exclusion

Very interesting topic Discovery - thanks for starting it.

I'll pass along the link for this entire thread to the right folks on Thursday evening (in an Advertiser Feedback Report that I send out each week to a great many people at Google) - so your feedback will be heard, along with that of any others who decide to post here.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #3
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

Uh Oh.

I hope I didn't somehow discourage anyone from posting to this thread with my comments above. If so, my apologies, Discovery. I really thought this was a great topic.

A favorite part of my time in this forum is passing along feedback from advertisers to the right folks here @ Google - in order to represent advertiser needs. Still, I have to step back and remind myself that some folks may not always be entirely comfortable with my presence on this forum.

If anyone does prefer that I not pass along their feedback (here or in any other thread), please let me know - and I won't do it.

Just thinking aloud here.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

This actually is a great start and if anyone else wants to add to it - it could become a great resource

ps - I will add my input over the weekend
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #5
nigeyes

nigeyes is on a distinguished road

One of my bug bears is that the placement reports are not integrated into the adwords interface itself, where I spend most of my time!!

It would be great to be able to select a Placement Report directly from the ad group, and the options of "exclude site" and "create site targetting campaign".

What I'm saying is - wouldn't it be great if the reports were actually integrated into the adwords campaign interface?
nigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #6
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

This is a great idea, but I feel it's just part of a much broader advertiser need - that is, more transparency, control and management of the Content Network.

This network covers a vast amount of territory, and a good start would be to report it by segment, with segment exclusion.

The segments I'm aware of are:

-Parked pages (direct)
-Parked pages (search box)
-Error Pages
-Blogs
-Email
-MFA sites
-"Regular" websites

Please add any other segments you know about!!

I'm a big fan of the Content Network, since it performs well for us. But, I feel it could be better with the above insight and control.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #7
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

transparency is key at all levels
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007   #8
rodhull
PPC Campaign Manager

rodhull is on a distinguished road

The most important thing I'd like to see, which would make a huge difference to our campaigns is site exclusion for the "Search Network". Now that websites such as Tripadvisor and eBay have been added to the search network, we've seen a huge drop in the quality of traffic and in many cases have had to opt out of the Search Network.

eBay is a good example as the type of people using this is often very different to the target audience for some sites.

If we could exclude certain sites in the network, we would be able to opt back in and regain clicks from many of the good quality Search Network sites.
rodhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #9
nigeyes

nigeyes is on a distinguished road

excellent point rod.
I too would like to see more transparency on the search network.
nigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #10
thomas68

thomas68 has a spectacular aura aboutthomas68 has a spectacular aura aboutthomas68 has a spectacular aura about

I totally agree with Discovery and pretty much do the same thing myself everyday. My experience is that even the placement report is not quick enough as it only report placement about 24 hours after the fact. So I use my web logs and tags.

I understand that ads are served in real time, but before an ad is served to a particular domain, why could it not be listed to be approved by an advertiser?
thomas68 is offline   Reply With Quote