Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdSense
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2007   #1
akintosyali

akintosyali is on a distinguished road
Best Practices for Advertising in Content Network?

I am tapping out in my Adwords traffic and would like to start exploring content traffic. Can you give me some ideas on how to be successful in content? I am listing some of my Qs below, and insight is appreciated:

Q1: I have very tiny ad groups for ad words, 1-3 KWs per ad group. That helps me optimize ad copy to the fullest extent. Would the same structure work for content?

Q2: Where should my content bids start compared to my adwords bids - a third? a fourth of my adwords cpc??

Q3: Should I day part content traffic?

Q4: I am using dynamic insertion in title and body in adcopy of adsense. I am guessing that the same ad will not work for content since there is no search. What are the best practices for ad copy for content?

Q5:Any other tips?

Last edited by akintosyali : 11-08-2007 at 06:42 PM.
akintosyali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #2
TigerWoodsOfSEM

TigerWoodsOfSEM is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Practices for Advertising in Content Network?

Q1: I have very tiny ad groups for ad words, 1-3 KWs per ad group. That helps me optimize ad copy to the fullest extent. Would the same structure work for content?
The same structure will work, however, the concept is to create a theme for each adgroup. Google recommends to avoid "search" words and focus more on 1-3 word phrases that are found in the content of pages. Try to keep your list for each adgroup under 50.

Q2: Where should my content bids start compared to my adwords bids - a third? a fourth of my adwords cpc??
Go with 3/4

Q3: Should I day part content traffic?
The best way to test is to let things run at their full potential and optimize. However, day part if you are constrained by budget.

Q4: I am using dynamic insertion in title and body in adcopy of adsense. I am guessing that the same ad will not work for content since there is no search. What are the best practices for ad copy for content?
Avoid KWI as Google will pick a random word in your group if you do use it. Try to keep static headers and have the text speak more to your audience than to trying to sell something.

Create a new campaign for content only - never turn content and search on for the same campaign.
Performance Placement Report!
TigerWoodsOfSEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #3
Ryan L

Ryan L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerWoodsOfSEM View Post

Create a new campaign for content only - never turn content and search on for the same campaign.
Performance Placement Report!

can you elaborate?
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #4
TigerWoodsOfSEM

Since your content groups should consist of words found in articles/content it is not recommended to use keywords in your search campaign as your content keywords. Keep the structure of your search account as is and copy them to "content only" campaigns; simply edit your keyword list to reflect content savvy keywords.

The placement performance report provides a list of sites your ads are showing on the content network. Much like the search query report, you can use this information to find those sites you want to remove from your distribution as well as those sites that produce relevant content and clicks that you may want to consider targeting specifically.
Old 11-16-2007   #5
Janvs

Janvs is on a distinguished road

Anyone is using the distinction Exact and Broad within an adgroup?
the Exact keywords give the focus on the theme of the ad-group, if so, do you see any difference in performance?
Janvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #6
TigerWoodsOfSEM

Do not focus on match types. Google does not take them into consideration for the content network.
Old 11-26-2007   #7
Janvs

Janvs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerWoodsOfSEM View Post
Do not focus on match types. Google does not take them into consideration for the content network.
So only the scope of the words do 'create' the theme of an ad-group?
I am told by Google that Exact and Broad are ways to push an ad-group into a certain direction.

My results are --> less impressions and clicks, but this could be as well started by other factors.

Last edited by Janvs : 11-26-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Janvs is offline   Reply With Quote