Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2007   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Aggressive Negative Keywords

The key to really tight spends and high CTR is aggressive use of negative keywords.

Most people forget to negative out the long tail terms they create to improve the accuracy of their campaigns.

For example I am broad matched for widget but also have individual groups for blue widgets, spinning blue widgets, jumping blue widgets, red widgets etc.

now if I do not negative out the long tail terms Google looks to see what keyword they want to use for a search for jumping blue widgets.... we would think the more specific would get the search... not always the case.

Google looks at what will make them the most money... so the widget keyword which has a much higher max bid will be shown (hey it meets the criteria) as Google makes more... this will slowly change when the CTR drops for that term using the broad widget ad as people are looking for more specific widgets...

To make sure your long tail terms get a fighting chance you have to be very aggressive with the negatives.... a three word term should appear in the groups for the two and one term keywords as a negative.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #2
adamap

adamap is on a distinguished road
Re: Aggressive Negative Keywords

Amen. I religiously check Google's Search Query Reports and typed keyword reports from analytics packages. When you couple the negative keywords with the long tail keywords you can really get some strong CTR.
adamap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #3
mtauber

mtauber is on a distinguished road

If you add or only use keywords that are targeted Long tail and set to Phrase match you wouldnt need to to many negatives
mtauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #4
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

true but you lose other potential keywords.... this helps lower what you pay for the long tail terms - not buying them at the higher costing root term
Old 11-09-2007   #5
mtauber

mtauber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
true but you lose other potential keywords.... this helps lower what you pay for the long tail terms - not buying them at the higher costing root term
If the keyword research was done right you should be ok. What do you mean by root term?
mtauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #6
AussieWebmaster

Keyword research can only take you so far.... the way people use a group of keywords in a search query can be very broad
Old 02-26-2008   #7
kjripp

kjripp is on a distinguished road

What I do is scour the search query reports for not only negatives, but lower costing long tail keywords that are serving a less targeted ad (from a broader phrase-match term) and which I can add to different ad groups so they serve the more relevant ad.

One BIG problem I've recently noticed is that my broader ad is being served for keywords I already have in other ad groups. I'm going to post separately about that.

~Kari
kjripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #8
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

I would love to see Google create a feature where one could model their campaigns and run it against some type of analysis engine to see what Google's output would be.

In other words a way to crosscheck your campaign structure's effectiveness, including the impact of negative keywords. The crosscheck could be based on a variable of your choice.. bid, specific keyword, even demographic for example, Projected ROI, Margin.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #9
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
I would love to see Google create a feature where one could model their campaigns and run it against some type of analysis engine to see what Google's output would be.

In other words a way to crosscheck your campaign structure's effectiveness, including the impact of negative keywords. The crosscheck could be based on a variable of your choice.. bid, specific keyword, even demographic for example, Projected ROI, Margin.

Discovery
This would be great.... well thought out