Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2007   #1
barnes

barnes is on a distinguished road
I am struggling with my adwords

Hi all,
i am running campaigns for legal site.daily budget for total campaign is $25.00.
Daily Budget $25.00
CPC is $0.80
Avg.position 5-9
here i am getting 50 impressions per day,but no clicks.i am increasing CPC daily and increasing AVG. ad position.i want clicks on my adwords at any cost.please give suggestions.

Cheers.
barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #2
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Re: I am struggling with my adwords

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes View Post
Hi all,
i am running campaigns for legal site.daily budget for total campaign is $25.00.
Daily Budget $25.00
CPC is $0.80
Avg.position 5-9
here i am getting 50 impressions per day,but no clicks.i am increasing CPC daily and increasing AVG. ad position.i want clicks on my adwords at any cost.please give suggestions.

Cheers.
In brief....
Legal is a very competitive keyword space. Make sure your ads and landing pages are well optimized, and your keyword set is very focused, then I'm afraid your next job will be to dramatically boost your daily budget, and start increasing your bid until your average position is about 3. Also, don't forget the Content Network. Good luck!
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #3
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Being one who has paid for advertising in that space for a number of years, let me strongly second abbottsys' point.

You're way under budgeting and under bidding. Your CPC will need to be in the area of $4-$6. (search) And I don't recommend that you set a budget soooooo low. Use a sinle bid amount for content and search. Lift your traffic ceiling sky high with a budget in the 5k/day realm. Then you can temper the actual spend with your PPC bids, start around $2 and inch up daily by a half dollar. Google rarely if ever hits a high budget. Within a couple weeks you should have the data you need to make adjustments at the keyword level - making individual bids on each keyword, or at least important ones.

Please note, this is for PPC advertising and NOT site targeting or CPM advertising. Those CPM hucksters can certainly blast through a 5k budget with ease using their impression exploding sites. (friendster, MySpace, Digg and so on)

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #4
Ryan L

Ryan L is on a distinguished road

5-9 should work, in my experience if your on the first page and your on topic you should get clicks.

Check you copy, is it clean, well punctuated...does your product stand out.

Sounds like some basic marketing is in your future.

Are you keywords on target? what copy are your competitors using?

Also 50 impressions isn't many...are your keywords too specific?

Are those 50 impressions for just one Keyword or an entire ad group?

BTW I am not familiar with the legal vertical but in mine...you'd be crazy CRAZY to bid the same for content and search networks.

Last edited by Ryan L : 11-01-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #5
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Let me clarify: When I say make a single bid for content and then for search I dont mean the same bid for both. I meant, one bid for the content campaign and another bid for search. Dont get into keyword level bids just yet. And yes, for most industries, content is almost always a lower bid.

However, if you have a very finely tuned campaign with an incredibly extensive exclude list, you may find that you can increase bids beyond what you bid on Search.

Discovery
Old 11-01-2007   #6
adamap

adamap is on a distinguished road

I agree your daily budget is very low. With 30-40 clicks a day you'd need a very high conversion rate to see results. Either get waaaay specific with lower cpc keywords or be prepared to spend more. Also, review and really test your ad copy. Get creative with the format.
adamap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #7
barnes

Thanks to all,for fast response.yesterday i have increased my bids to $2.75 per click.CPC is $2.75.
even i didn't get any clciks.
Old 11-02-2007   #8
barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsys View Post
In brief....
Legal is a very competitive keyword space. Make sure your ads and landing pages are well optimized, and your keyword set is very focused, then I'm afraid your next job will be to dramatically boost your daily budget, and start increasing your bid until your average position is about 3. Also, don't forget the Content Network. Good luck!
yes. i have increase dmy daily budget to $70 and CPC $2.75.
Avg ad position is 6-8.but i didn't get any clicks.
Old 11-02-2007   #9
barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post
5-9 should work, in my experience if your on the first page and your on topic you should get clicks.

Check you copy, is it clean, well punctuated...does your product stand out.

Sounds like some basic marketing is in your future.

Are you keywords on target? what copy are your competitors using?

Also 50 impressions isn't many...are your keywords too specific?

Are those 50 impressions for just one Keyword or an entire ad group?

BTW I am not familiar with the legal vertical but in mine...you'd be crazy CRAZY to bid the same for content and search networks.
yes. my keywords are more specific.i have got 60 impressions for total campaign.I increased my CPC to $2.75.but no clciks.
Old 11-02-2007   #10
barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
Let me clarify: When I say make a single bid for content and then for search I dont mean the same bid for both. I meant, one bid for the content campaign and another bid for search. Dont get into keyword level bids just yet. And yes, for most industries, content is almost always a lower bid.

However, if you have a very finely tuned campaign with an incredibly extensive exclude list, you may find that you can increase bids beyond what you bid on Search.

Discovery
i am running my ads for only search network.i disabled my ads for content network.is content network useful?let me know the suggestion.
Old 11-02-2007   #11
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
And yes, for most industries, content is almost always a lower bid.
Is the case, because people who are clicking on the PPC ads (in the search results) are people who are actually looking for your products/services whereas people who click on your ads in the content network are often people who werent really searching for them, but sort of fooled into clicking on your ads?

Quote:
i am running my ads for only search network.i disabled my ads for content network.is content network useful?let me know the suggestion.
I'm interested in that, too. Obviously ads in the content network will probably convert less (not people actively searching for them), but for that same reason I guess they must be cheaper (as you mentioned discovery).

So in the end *technically* that might balance out...but what's it like in reality? It seems like almost everybody went for PPC (in the SERPs), but few people went for the content network. Is that b/c content ads are often still too expensive for their rather low conversion rates?
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #12
Ryan L

well with only 50 impressions...1 click would be 2% CTR,

I don't think you have enough impressions to know up from down.

type in your keywords and see how your ad compares to others.

IMO bid amount is not your issue.

Last edited by Ryan L : 11-02-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-05-2007   #13
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

NKOTB,

We find that when our landing page content is being matched very well by Google and we are doing a great job at creating relevant ads and excluding the thousands of junk partner sites, that the conversion rates can be excellent on content and the CPA very low.

This takes a great deal of fine tuning and continuous upkeep.

Discovery
Old 11-05-2007   #14
Ryan L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
NKOTB,

We find that when our landing page content is being matched very well by Google and we are doing a great job at creating relevant ads and excluding the thousands of junk partner sites, that the conversion rates can be excellent on content and the CPA very low.

This takes a great deal of fine tuning and continuous upkeep.

Discovery
I guess I just see content network management as tedious, resource intensive and not all together noob friendly.
Old 11-06-2007   #15
barnes

Hi guys.

Thanks for the help.finally i have got 5 clicks.Avg.CPC is $3.05.
Avg.position is 3.5.
Thanks a lot guys.
Old 11-06-2007   #16
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for the information Discovery.
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #17
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

NKOTB

Kein Problem, mein Freund.

I like that content is a bit challenging and requires experience and robust tools. This creates a barrier most of my competition cant clear. Not a brag, just the plain fact of the matter.

Discovery