Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2007   #1
YahooPete

YahooPete is a jewel in the roughYahooPete is a jewel in the roughYahooPete is a jewel in the roughYahooPete is a jewel in the rough
Blocked Domains is live

Hi there,

I just want to let you know that the Blocked Domains feature, which I mentioned in a previous post http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...451#post116451, is live.

Initially, Blocked Domains will be available in the US and Korea. We plan to roll out Blocked Domains in other markets next year. I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for all the feedback!
YahooPete
YahooPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #2
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Re: Blocked Domains is live

YahooPete

Glad to see site exclusion is available.

A few comments and questions:

Understood you cant block Y! however are all other sites subject to blocking? Are there any non Y properties that cant be blocked?

The most effective way to tell which sites to block comes from the referrer report. Unfortunately the referrer report does not include cost data at the partner domain level. I looked under add columns but it is not in the list of available fields. It is difficult to determine which sites to block without knowing the Cost Per Conversion. Revenue is too subjective in our case.

Tough to find the actual spot to block names...
For those who have yet to find it:
Click the Administration tab
Select the “Accounts” section
Next to “Blocked Domains,” either click “Submit Domains” or “Edit”
Complete the provided steps to block (or unblock) the domains
Correct me if I am mistaken here. I can only block at the account level? That would make it difficult for advertisers who have vastly different campaigns for specific products and demo targets. Some domains are spot on for certain campaigns and absolutely wrong for others.

It would be nice to be able to simply check a box next to a partner site in the referrer report and then click to "add to blocked domains list". Better; allow us to set specific criteria for an automated report which we can use to quickly identify and remove underperforming sites with the same kind of "check and add to blocked sites" process.

Conversely - does this mean we should expect to see site targeting.. or Domain targeting? Or will that be a feature in Right Media?

Are there special conditions which will allow us to block more than 250 sites? First cut at our referrers list and we have close to 200 domains to block. (evaluation based on no conversions and a review of the actual site shows it is not in line with our service).

We found our own domain name in the referrer report with 3 leads and 3 browsers. We do not even use YPN!? Is this a reporting error?

I dont see any summary categories in the referrer report such as "other", "Domain ads" or "error" ala Google. Am I correct in believing that ALL domains that produce an impression will be reported?

Can I block MSN from running my ads or is this also one of your untouchable partners? :-)

Thanks for your response.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #3
MSI

MSI is on a distinguished road

Good questions Discovery. I would like to add one.

When Yahoo removes domains from their publisher list will they inform us so that we can revise our lists? I would want to immediately replace those domains that are no longer needed. I already have 250 to block so any space that opens up would be important to me.

MSI
MSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #4
chris1
Low-gravity fun for everyone!

chris1 is on a distinguished road

Hey Discovery, what analytics are you using to track conversion by referrer? When you say the "referrer report", are you talking about your outside analytics or is this report available if you have full analytics on Yahoo enabled?
chris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #5
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Yes, full analytics on Y! gets you the referrer reports.

We also have other in-house analytics packages, however actual Average cost per click, impressions and total cost per conversion at the partner domain name level is what is necessary to make the best evaluation.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #6
chris1
Low-gravity fun for everyone!

chris1 is on a distinguished road

Great, thanks. I will look into having my technical team set that up for us.
chris1 is offline   Reply With Quote