Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2007   #1
africapic
Africapic (dot) com

africapic is on a distinguished road
Optimising a Title for three keywords.

How do I optimise the title for 3 keywords/phrases?

1) cheetah pictures
2) cheetah photos
3) cheetah stock photography

I'm assuming Google picks up synonyms?

I have had the suggestion of "Quality Cheetah Pictures from Africapic Stock Photography Gallery." Would this incorporate these all?

Anyone else have a thought on this?

Many Thanks

Alex
africapic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #2
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of
Re: Optimising a Title for three keywords.

Have you tried testing to see? SEO is knowing what to do. You know that you need to optimize your title tags. Good. HOW to do it and what works is up to you. If you know what keywords you want, how you do it is up to your execution and also up to your competition since the SEs compare your site with theirs.

What works for one industry doesnt necessarily work for others.

You gotta go through all the basics, do everything you can, and test and see. That's also how you continue to learn more about SEO.
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #3
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Of your target terms, "Quality Cheetah Pictures from Africapic Stock Photography Gallery" includes one.

"cheetah pictures"

If you want to improve ranking for the other terms in most cases they need to be included in the TITLE and/or mentioned on the page. Check and see if that is the case!

Here is the TITLE of the page ranking #1 for "cheetah pictures":
"Cheetah Pictures, Pictures of Cheetahs, Cheetah Photos, Cheetah Pics, Cheetah Picture, Cheetah Photo, Cheetah Pic, Photos of Cheetahs"

I would suggest you use "Africapic Stock Photography Gallery" in your description and not your TITLE. You might consider a TITLE more like the TITLE of the #1 page for your terms. Make yours a little shorter and less SPAMMY as seen by users in SERPS.

Like cryptblade said this is very unique to your industry. Try to find what works!
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #4
Ryan L

Ryan L is on a distinguished road

You might try something like
"Africapic - cheetah pictures & african stock photography"

Last edited by Ryan L : 10-15-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #5
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of

Or this

<title>Cheetah pictures: Cheetah photos, cheetah stock photography at africapic.com</title>
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #6
SeoCatfish

SeoCatfish is on a distinguished road

actually the title that was suggested to you will target all of those phrases. the words of the phrase need only exist in the title and do not have to be in order to rank well for the phrase (although there is some debate that the exact order of the phrase does help which in my experience seems to have a little weight). I'll bet you the click rate of this title: "Cheetah Pictures, Pictures of Cheetahs, Cheetah Photos, Cheetah Pics, Cheetah Picture, Cheetah Photo, Cheetah Pic, Photos of Cheetahs"
sucks as it reeks of spam. Better to have meaningful keyword focused sentence or phrase that resonates with your target audience. You may or may not keep the word quality as this word might not be a huge emotional driver for your audience unless quality pics of these kind are hard to find. The word beautiful or stunning if you want to use an adjective might induce more clicks. But in terms of targeting, the title will work fine.

Actually now that I am paying a little more attention after the second read, this title: <title>Cheetah pictures: Cheetah photos, cheetah stock photography at africapic.com</title> is better because it also contains the word photos although I wouldn't personally use Cheetah three times. I would do it like:
Cheetah Pictures: Cheetah Photos and Stock Photography at Africapic.com .

Notice how I also capitalize the first word in each letter. I like doing it this way because its easier for users to read and I think it stands out a little more.

Last edited by SeoCatfish : 10-16-2007 at 04:01 PM. Reason: addendum
SeoCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #7
africapic
Africapic (dot) com

I have also had the suggestion

"Cheetah Stock Photography Pictures"

What are your thoughts on that? Do I use it or do I use

"Cheetah Pictures: Cheetah Photos and Stock Photography at Africapic.com ."

Many Thanks

Alex
Old 10-17-2007   #8
expertseobug

expertseobug is on a distinguished road

My suggestion for title:

"Cheetah Pictures, Cheetah Photos, Cheetah Stock Photography Pictures"
expertseobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007   #9
BuckfastMonk
test, test, test, test, test, test, change. test, test, test, test, test, change

BuckfastMonk will become famous soon enough

Or this:

<title>RESEARCH, TEST</title>
BuckfastMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #10
whitehat
SEO1

whitehat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckfastMonk View Post
Or this:

<title>RESEARCH, TEST</title>
Lol

I would go with this as opposed to the one I suggested as an EXAMPLE...not a perfect title!!

Cheetah Pictures: Cheetah Photos and Stock Photography at Africapic.com

Try and remember, you should write the titles to be as meaningful to visitors as possible...not just search engines.

This one is very spammy..and is now actually in second position

"Cheetah Pictures, Pictures of Cheetahs, Cheetah Photos, Cheetah Pics, Cheetah Picture, Cheetah Photo, Cheetah Pic, Photos of Cheetahs"

Whereas this site...
Quote:
rosswarner.com/cheetah.html
is now in first place...with the title OF

cheetah pictures

!!!

by adding more and more keywords you dilute the main ones you are going for. Focus on one or two ..and see what works as Beau says
whitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #11
BuckfastMonk
test, test, test, test, test, test, change. test, test, test, test, test, change

BuckfastMonk will become famous soon enough

The point I was making was that you need to do your own research - would you trust a complete stranger to work on your website? A stranger who determines if you are putting the food on the table next month. NOPE

I'm not taking anything away from the guys, they do know what they are talking about but they don't understand your business like you do. They aren't out taking pictures in the middle of Africa and they don't understand what your customers want. I'm sure most will agree with me.

Combine the results from your own keyword research using the tools suggested in these forums and test which ones work for you. Just get out and do it. If it doesn't work, change it

Asking somone to pick a title for YOUR pages, the business that you live by is not the question you should be asking
BuckfastMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007   #12
whitehat
SEO1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckfastMonk View Post
...... I'm sure most will agree with me.

Combine the results from your own keyword research using the tools suggested in these forums and test which ones work for you. Just get out and do it. If it doesn't work, change it

Asking somone to pick a title for YOUR pages, the business that you live by is not the question you should be asking
Agreed. Good advice there BuckfastMonk
Old 10-18-2007   #13
SeoCatfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Lol

I would go with this as opposed to the one I suggested as an EXAMPLE...not a perfect title!!

Cheetah Pictures: Cheetah Photos and Stock Photography at Africapic.com

Try and remember, you should write the titles to be as meaningful to visitors as possible...not just search engines.

This one is very spammy..and is now actually in second position

Whereas this site...

is now in first place...with the title OF

cheetah pictures

!!!

by adding more and more keywords you dilute the main ones you are going for. Focus on one or two ..and see what works as Beau says
What evidence do you have to support this claim? Some people think that a title that says "Car Wash" is more relevant to the phrase "Car Wash" than is a title like "Car Wash Methods and Practices" because the first title has less words and therefore that somehow increases the importance of those words. I have never found that too be true and I have no trouble ranking in the top 10 for competitive phrases with long titles ( anywhere from 7 to 13 words ). So I am curious what evidence you have to support your claim that by adding keywords to the title you dilute the "main ones you are going for". Thanks,
Old 10-18-2007   #14
whitehat
SEO1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoCatfish View Post
What evidence do you have to support this claim? Some people think that a title that says "Car Wash" is more relevant to the phrase "Car Wash" than is a title like "Car Wash Methods and Practices" because the first title has less words and therefore that somehow increases the importance of those words. I have never found that too be true and I have no trouble ranking in the top 10 for competitive phrases with long titles ( anywhere from 7 to 13 words ). So I am curious what evidence you have to support your claim that by adding keywords to the title you dilute the "main ones you are going for". Thanks,

I mean, by adding lots of keyword phrases in to the title, IMO it dilutes the effect of the main one you are trying to get results for.
Example: "Car Wash Methods and Car Polishing techniques and Car Vacuum equipment" as compared to

"Car Wash methods from the worlds leading car wash expert"

if you have any sort of detailed knowledge of SEO, you will know its not possible to 'prove' something like this.
I'm merely going on personal experience and that of other more knowledgeable people (than myself)

What do you call competitive?

I call competitive over 10 million results. And long mish mash titles dont work for my sites in those arenas.

Again, its my experience only. not necessarily fact.
you will need to ask Larry Page or Sergey if you want hard evidence
Old 10-18-2007   #15
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoCatfish View Post
...because the first title has less words ...
Actually, proper English grammar would write "fewer words" not "less words"

But I'm just picking spots from an apple and am digressing.

I do think Afripic should test out his titles. He's picking up a lot of SEO knowledge. Seems eager to learn, so why not test? We all learned that way.
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007   #16
africapic
Africapic (dot) com

You're right...very eager for SEO knowledge!

A little impatient at how long it takes to test everything though...you do all these changes and then have to wait for ages to see if they work! :-) I know, I know....patience.
Old 10-23-2007   #17
SeoCatfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
I mean, by adding lots of keyword phrases in to the title, IMO it dilutes the effect of the main one you are trying to get results for.
Example: "Car Wash Methods and Car Polishing techniques and Car Vacuum equipment" as compared to

"Car Wash methods from the worlds leading car wash expert"

if you have any sort of detailed knowledge of SEO, you will know its not possible to 'prove' something like this.
I'm merely going on personal experience and that of other more knowledgeable people (than myself)
My experience has been the opposite. I think as long as your keywords are present in the Title tag, the link connectivity makes a much bigger difference in your rankings. And additionally, you now have almost no opportunity for your homepage to rank well for "car vacuum equipment". As far as fewer or less, cmon man, who cares about that. That has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand. And as far as if I have any sort of detailed knowledge about SEO, I believe that I do..lol. I have been doing this for 10 years and I am responsible for over 200 clients, many of whom are fortune 500 companies. So I believe that my experience and the breadth of data that is available to my allows me to make observations with a fairly unique perspective. But we will agree to disagree because using your method will still give you the opportunity to rank for your keywords. It's just you limit yourself doing it that way. Anyway, I gotta get back to watching my city burn down (San Diego). We are not having a good day today.